• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those mid grade Keys, look oh so good...

15 posts in this topic

There are certain, older GA/SA books that I personally don't mind the condition of. If they present well and theyre at a price I'm ok with then the lower/mid grades are a perfect addition. I'm not in for investing so the higher grades of specific books dont apease me. I collect for the joy and hunt of books and to be able to say yes I have that in my collection. With todays age of comics, I can buy that issue digitially if i want to read it. 

Yep. My LCS recently had a beat but complete and intact Iron Fist 14 come in that I had first crack at and I didn't even ask about it. I went back next day after thinking about it but it had already sold for an extremely reasonable amount. I'd have slammed that $ down for it if I hadn't been a dum dum in the moment.

Im now on board with the low grade keys. 

I can't shake the feeling that some high grade collectors are just doing it to show off.  I understand the desire to own the top copy on census, but unless you're on top, you're tied for first loser with all the rest of us that have a copy. :grin:

I buy midgrade copies because they often have good eye appeal for a fraction of the high grade price.  I don't care about investment or resale, I just want a copy that makes me smile when I look at it.  The number grade on the case doesn't make me crazy like it does some people, I crack any and all CGC slabs that find their way into my hands.

Unless it’s a reader copy or low cost set filler (less than $50), I never buy the mid-lower grade slabbed books.  I like the liquidity of the higher grades if I need to sell quickly.   

I do make exceptions for GA or early SA though.  

1 hour ago, Brian48 said:

Unless it’s a reader copy or low cost set filler (less than $50), I never buy the mid-lower grade slabbed books.  I like the liquidity of the higher grades if I need to sell quickly.   

I do make exceptions for GA or early SA though.  

failed to mention these were the types of books I was referring too.  

1 hour ago, jasmit990 said:

failed to mention these were the types of books I was referring too.  

Yeah, I don't have a lot, but these are two notables in my really meager collection.

wf2_bookends.jpg

Edited by Brian48