• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Sultan's Tribute

17 posts in this topic

I have mentioned before that Lou Fine is my favorite GA artist and his artwork via Alan Light's reprints forever turned me into a GA collector.  Fine influenced many others.  I have read of artist greats like Murphy Anderson, Alex Toth, Gil Kane, Jim Steranko among others.  Not sure if these have ever been documented in interviews but no doubt his art and talent extended past his drawing table.  

One artist who seemingly was not only influenced but also a near clone of Fine was Charles Sultan.  I wonder if Sultan gets the credit he is due or if he is frowned upon a bit and considered a blatant copier of Fine, e.g., Hit #5 and Scoop #2.  (I have a Hit 5 but still searching for that Scoop 2) similar to Hal Foster and Frank Frazetta image comparisons.  If you are going to copy, copy the best but it wasn't like Sultan was tracing Fine's art.   He was a top tier artist in his own right (imo). 

Just curious about how others feel about the Sultan - is he appreciated enough?  And I would love to see folks post any thoughts, covers, interiors, OA, etc. 

Some of mine with his covers to start a Sultan's tribute thread.

Amazing covers when i searched for Chesler books i had only tunnel vision for Ricca art at the time.I should have sort after some of those, and regret to this day for all those books have gone crazy.Very nice Jeff (thumbsu

I always thought the cover to Great Comics 3, my favorite golden age comic, was Charles Sultan. I was very surprised to learn that Reed Crandall did that cover.

8 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I always thought the cover to Great Comics 3, my favorite golden age comic, was Charles Sultan. I was very surprised to learn that Reed Crandall did that cover.

I always thought it was Sultan too.  I was surprised when I saw your post when you posted that.  I do have Choice Comics #3.  I kind of thought Sultan had a hand in it but I have no idea.  GCD has no credits assigned.  Any thoughts on the cover artist?

0410131948101.thumb.jpg.41a4eaf67933c9ae4c9723981c768de0.jpg