• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shopping for a Golden Age Timely with a WWII cover at the next big Comic Con

11 posts in this topic

I'll be searching for a decent Golden Age comic at the big convention this May with a WWII cover, preferably with a German cover. I really like the Marvel Mystery Comics title, but I'd be willing to also examine Captain America. Does MMC generally run more expensive than CA, or vice versa? Is one easier to find than the other? My budget will only go up to about $1200 - absolute max , and I really don't want to go under a 4.0 grade-wise.

49 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

I'll be searching for a decent Golden Age comic at the big convention this May with a WWII cover, preferably with a German cover. I really like the Marvel Mystery Comics title, but I'd be willing to also examine Captain America. Does MMC generally run more expensive than CA, or vice versa? Is one easier to find than the other? My budget will only go up to about $1200 - absolute max , and I really don't want to go under a 4.0 grade-wise.

I’ll be interested to hear what others say on this topic, but I collect both of these titles. I think the Marvel movies might have made the average Caps go a little higher than the average MMCs, but as long as you avoid the low number issues and the classic covers(Cap 27, 36,37,46 & MMC 40,44,46) you should be able to get a war cover in that budget. You should also check out Nedor books and Human Torch and Submariner for great war covers that are reasonably priced

Yeah, I second that on the Nedors. Some classic WWII Schomburg covers with Fighting Yank and Black Terror. Used to be they were a lot cheaper than Timelys but that ship has now sailed on them. Heck, you could probably get a Hitler or Axis leader cover in that grade and price range on a Nedor.

9 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

What big convention is in may?

You can still find a lot of WW2 German covers MM for well under $1200 in 4.0, slabbed or raw, some of them that should probably be considered classics. For Cap it's getting harder, but some of the later WW2 covers are still found for less than that in 4.0.

Schomburg is probably your best bet, but there are some pretty cool covers by others as well. I suggest looking through the covers on GCD, and then make a list of favorites, and then check around to see if any are in your price range, you might be pleasantly surprised. 

There are underrated issues of MM-51 and 52 come to mind that shouldn't break the bank. As far as I'm concerned, these books are almost as good as their more popular brethren, especially 51.

A Schomburg war cover at 4.0 or better for $1,200?  You may have your work cut out for you...especially at a con where dealers will probably inflate "sale" prices.  Then again, I've never been to a true (big) con so maybe the dealers are better there than at the small-time ones I've attended? Rhode Island Comic Con last year was even worse than Boston Comic Con Fan Expo in terms of comic vendors...at least for Timely issues.  :frustrated:

I only collect the Marvel Mystery Comics that Captain America appears in so I don't focus on most of the issues in that run but I would say most Caps are a bit more than MMCs.

Unless you're the kind of person that has to flip through a book prior to buying it I would just put up a Want To Buy post with a list of issues you're interested in.  Additionally, keep an eye on the marketplace for books you're looking for, but be quick because Schomburg covers go quickly!  I've gotten some of my favorite issues that way including this Cap #33

Cap33.JPG.4c32a06a47e6a5a8c3e768c689230176.JPG

Good luck!