• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fools Gold - collection bust stories

26 posts in this topic

Opening up a thread to share stories on a collection someone purported to have for you only to find out it was a complete bust, or dead end.  Since this happened to me twice recently, I'm sure it happens often and there may be some nuggets out there.

I got to talking about comic books with my car mechanic in San Francisco, a gentleman I would say is in his mid to late 60's.  If you've seen his shop, you'll know the man saves everything.  Stacks of old tires, every conceivable part in a heap somewhere (including broken ones) and about 5-6 project cars that he hasn't touched in well over a decade.  His passion is corvettes and since that's what I bring to him we get to talking quite a bit.  He mentioned he had a comic collection somewhere in his mom's garage and that no one had gone in there in well over a decade or more since she passed.  He said there was a good chance his collection and that of his brother's was probably still in there.  I asked what he recalled having.  He said they collected mostly superhero stuff, preferably Batman and Superman and that most of the books were probably 1950's or late 40's.  He said he'd go check the next weekend and if they were there he would give them to me.  I said no, they're probably worth a lot and I would price them out.  He didn't make it to that garage until about 2 or 3 months later and we synced up again when once again there was a coolant leak on my classic vette.  

He said he looked through the garage in its entirely and none of the comics were there anymore, no idea what happened.  Total bust.

Edited by atomised

4 hours ago, Moondog said:

Gary069.jpg

How nice was the Great 3? :popcorn:

9 hours ago, PopKulture said:

That's pretty mind-blowing. Was this part of a collection of ilk material?

It was a lone golden age book that a guy brought into the shop along with some silver including X-Men 1-10, Amazing Fantasy 15 and a few others. This was in early 2008. He had purchased all of the books at comic shops in the late '70s and early '80s. The silver age was mostly restored, color touched, and/or mid grade. But this one, beautiful unrestored gem was staring out of the pile. He had bought it for $800 as an investment. He made ALOT of loot. It ended up grading 7.0 with white pages. It has a very light handling crease down the middle of the cover that breaks color only in one small place near Batman's head, otherwise it is killer. It happily resides in a very good friend's collection these days.

7 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

It happily resides in a very good friend's collection these days.

I heard it had a slight case of depression over the Christmas holiday but is doing better now.

6 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

It was a lone golden age book that a guy brought into the shop along with some silver including X-Men 1-10, Amazing Fantasy 15 and a few others. This was in early 2008. He had purchased all of the books at comic shops in the late '70s and early '80s. The silver age was mostly restored, color touched, and/or mid grade. But this one, beautiful unrestored gem was staring out of the pile. He had bought it for $800 as an investment. He made ALOT of loot. It ended up grading 7.0 with white pages. It has a very light handling crease down the middle of the cover that breaks color only in one small place near Batman's head, otherwise it is killer. It happily resides in a very good friend's collection these days.

Paying $800 for that book in the late 1970s seems like a heck of a lot.  But, in the end, it was a smart move. 

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

If I could add any book ever posted on the boards to my permanent collection, I think that would be the one. Amazing.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Great story, and a great investment! He chose some excellent books to invest in. It presents VERY well for a 7.0. It sounds like you have visitation rights: I'm glad.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

I heard it had a slight case of depression over the Christmas holiday but is doing better now.

:cloud9:

9 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Great story, and a great investment! He chose some excellent books to invest in. It presents VERY well for a 7.0. It sounds like you have visitation rights: I'm glad.  (thumbsu

Visitation rights and it helped with the down payment on my house.

43 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Visitation rights and it helped with the down payment on my house.

If you'd just been content to sleep in your car parked behind your store, you could have kept the book. :)