• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most common GA books

93 posts in this topic

On 1/25/2018 at 8:35 PM, Robot Man said:

You can add the anti drug giveaway "Trapped" to that list. I paid through the nose for a copy when I saw it only to find out that there were literally hundreds of them. A dealer I won't name screwed me hard on it. Needless to say, I will NEVER buy a thing from him again. Great book none the less.

Giveaways can be quite dangerous in that way, they seem to pop up in multiples fairly frequently, which always tended to make me leery of paying too much.  I'm guessing this was a while back, before knowledge of the Harvey file copies was widespread. One wonders how many copies of some formerly scarce Catechetical Guild giveaways were in the Philip Levine collection. For a while there it looked like Heritage was going to keep on offering copies of Labor is A Partner every month.

How Stalin Hopes We Will Destroy America is another popular giveaway which always seems available in high grade.

Edited by rjpb

6 hours ago, rjpb said:

Giveaways can be quite dangerous in that way, they seem to pop up in multiples fairly frequently, which always tended to make me leery of paying too much.  I'm guessing this was a while back, before knowledge of the Harvey file copies was widespread. One wonders how many copies of some formerly scarce Catechetical Guild giveaways were in the Philip Levine collection. For a while there it looked like Heritage was going to keep on offering copies of Labor is A Partner every month.

How Stalin Hopes We Will Destroy America is another popular giveaway which always seems available in high grade.

Very true.  I finally got around to reading it a little while ago and it's an odd book.  Apparently Stalin was relying on us to destroy ourselves by increasing spending faster than we increased taxes.  More foolproof than nuking us, apparently.

On 1/24/2018 at 11:47 AM, the blob said:

Really, $1K+ a pop for water stained copies? I see on ebay that is correct, but what is so special about that book? Based on the old auction description these were like $40 a pop in guide then. What is so special about that one that they have gone up 2000-3000%? It's a clever cover and all, but a lot of these books have cool covers.

Some punk rock band with a cult following  (The Misfits) used the comic cover of COC #19 for their album cover... driving up the demand....

Image result for chamber of chills 19 album cover

8 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Some punk rock band with a cult following  (The Misfits) used the comic cover of COC #19 for their album cover... driving up the demand....

Image result for chamber of chills 19 album cover

Yes,but that album itself is thirty five years old now

Edited by porcupine48
poo

House of Mystery 1-10 has a reputation of being tougher to find but i see issues #2 and #3 for sale all the time... i am working on the early run but am in 

no hurry to buy those two issues because they are readily available at almost any time.......

maybe they are so common that they will go down in price soonlol !!

11 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

i tried listening to a few of their song just now Jimmers but i couldn't take it, was you into them back in the day ??

You could say so.Check out the twenty five year old tattoo on my left arm lol I also had the 'devilock' haircut for a long time :blush:

Edited by porcupine48

6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

You could say so.Check out the twenty five year old tattoo on my left arm lol I also had the 'devilock' haircut for a long time :blush:

Haha ... good doggie !! .. well i will give the Misfits another listen one of these days and see if any song grows on me (thumbsu

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Warehouse find of these many years ago. A friend with about a dozen of them gave me this one as a gift. Thanks Eddie still got it!

comgreatcomics1.jpg

That's a nice gift!!  The market was able to absorb those copies, and demand continues to outstrip supply even on the more plentiful Cole covers. 

Edited by PopKulture

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Borderline GA/SA but "My Greatest Adventure" #1 is so widespread that i'm wondering if there was a warehouse find ???

Very tough in high grade, so I don't think so.

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

House of Mystery 1-10 has a reputation of being tougher to find but i see issues #2 and #3 for sale all the time... i am working on the early run but am in 

no hurry to buy those two issues because they are readily available at almost any time.......

maybe they are so common that they will go down in price soonlol !!

Shhhhh....be quiet.  I own a #3... lol

On 1/28/2018 at 10:03 AM, rjpb said:

I remember Trapped! going for hundreds of dollars at the 1978 Creation Philly convention. Within a few months of that show, the warehouse find was made known to collectors, and at the '79 show they were going for eight bucks a pop.

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

I remember Trapped! going for hundreds of dollars at the 1978 Creation Philly convention. Within a few months of that show, the warehouse find was made known to collectors, and at the '79 show they were going for eight bucks a pop.

i'm surprised it was that high back then. You could buy a lot of cool stuff for a couple hundred or less in those days.  It doesn't  seem nearly as available as it did in the early days of ebay, when there were always copies for $10 or less listed.