• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most common GA books

93 posts in this topic

What are the most common GA books. The most likely candidates are comics for which there were multiple issue finds (warehouse, file copies, etc), and for which there is minimal interest. I'm guessing these would be mostly 1950s titles. 

For all comics, I imagine it's still Major Inapak, but what about non-giveaways. And how about by genre.

A candidate that  comes to mind for me is Crime and Justice #20 - there are currently 25 copies on ebay - it's without a doubt the most common crime comic.

For horror it has to be Thing #16 - currently 26 copies on ebay - this is actually a pretty cool book, so maybe it's even more common, but unlike C&J #20 - actually gets purchased with some frequency.

Other suggestions?

11 minutes ago, rjpb said:

What are the most common GA books. The most likely candidates are comics for which there were multiple issue finds (warehouse, file copies, etc), and for which there is minimal interest. I'm guessing these would be mostly 1950s titles. 

For all comics, I imagine it's still Major Inapak, but what about non-giveaways. And how about by genre.

A candidate that  comes to mind for me is Crime and Justice #20 - there are currently 25 copies on ebay - it's without a doubt the most common crime comic.

For horror it has to be Thing #16 - currently 26 copies on ebay - this is actually a pretty cool book, so maybe it's even more common, but unlike C&J #20 - actually gets purchased with some frequency.

Other suggestions?

those were where house finds by the SF comic boo company in the late 70's there are a few books more that qualify 

14 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

those were where house finds by the SF comic boo company in the late 70's there are a few books more that qualify 

Is there any record of how many were found? I suspect True Life Secrets #23 was also in that find. 

Some books suddenly show up in a quantity after being relatively scarce for years. One I'm thinking about is Tec 78, with the patriotic story "The Bond Wagon" it used to be sort of a tough book. Now there are a bunch on eBay, and a few dealers have multiple copies. The same with Tec 187. Nearly impossible for years, now a fairly plentiful supply on eBay. Do collectors hoard books, and then release their hoard at the same time, or are these warehouse finds? The Thing 16 and the Christmas issue of Green Lama are both warehouse finds, and they are ubiquitous in the marketplace. At least they're nice books.

Edited by Larryw7

There was a find long ago of a stack of Detective Comics #111, hence the 40 high grade copies graded so far.

Also a stack of Durango Kid #7 was recently discovered.

We all know about the boxes & boxes of Major Inapak, the Space Ace #1.

Speed Comics #43 is a recent find with 25 high grade copies graded.

Thing #16 was a find long ago, probably in the 80's.

I saw about 40 copies of True Life Secrets #23 in SD about 20 years ago.  I pulled the best copy in the stack for $16.  The guy had about 20 other books that he was 20-40 copies deep in, but True Life Secrets #23 was the only stand out issue I cared about at the time.

Just about any EC, Harvey or Dell comic (File Copies galore!).

Edited by Timely

Yeah...stuff like this in the HA archives makes ya wonder just how big the stack from the warehouse was and how many nice non water damaged copies someone might still be holding on to...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/chamber-of-chills-19-multiple-file-copy-group-harvey-1953-condition-average-gd-vg-total-18-comic-books-/a/19062-12153.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Wasn’t there a huge find of Major Inapak, the Space Ace?  I’ve picked up some really nice copies for $1 at garage sales and given them away.  1951, so might not qualify for the GA.

Edited by walclark

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

Is this Web of Horror #27 that's been bouncing around for some time a mini-find or a private hoard?

Going by feedback left, the seller has sold at least 87 copies of this book. I'd say some sort of find. It might be more plentiful than Thing #16.

There seem to be a fair amount of Captain Marvel Adventures #51 floating around.

Dizzy Dames #1 seems to show up frequently in mid-high grades. I suspect a stash of these was found, but it's desirability means they get snapped up.

5 hours ago, walclark said:

Wasn’t there a huge find of Major Inapak, the Space Ace?  I’ve picked up some really nice copies for $1 at garage sales and given them away.  1951, so might not qualify for the GA.

yes, that was a promo give away comic, probably palettes and palettes somewhere

5 hours ago, rjpb said:

Going by feedback left, the seller has sold at least 87 copies of this book. I'd say some sort of find. It might be more plentiful than Thing #16.

My mental illness is telling me that I should not pay my heating bill this month so that I can acquire the 9 copies he has up.