• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the feeling about 9.6 these days?
1 1

40 posts in this topic

When I was heavy into collecting moderns about a decade ago, 9.8 copies were all the rage. Anything less than 9.8 for a modern (at least graded copies) weren't sought after in the slightest. Has a graded 9.6 book risen at all in esteem? I assume that for random issues, it's still 9.8 or bust. But what about keys or semi-keys or even cool covers? Are 9.6 copies more acceptable to the collecting community these days?

I think as certain moderns have risen in value, a 9.6 (and even 9.4 for certain books) do have some interest and value (especially as the 9.8 becomes out of reach). Books like BA12, NYX3, ASM300, NM98 all have value and interest I would say down to 9.4, after which it does drop off quite a bit. No question for modern non-keys (don't know why these get slabbed really), or semi-keys, it's really 9.8 or bust.

I think cgc is not handing out 9.8s like they used to, but 9.6 value hasn't caught up yet.  And most modern keys still aren't too overpriced that they are getting out of reach. CKinto's list is it for the whole era's major keys.  Everything else is low enough priced that 9.8s are still relatively accessible

Edited by SteppinRazor

On 24/01/2018 at 4:30 AM, ygogolak said:

Anything will sell if it's in demand.

That encapsulates the whole argument.

A 9.6 ASM #678 - definitely.

A 9.6 every man's comic - not at all (or even 9.8 for that matter. Many so-called "sellers" are delusional about the value of their collection). 

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:41 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

9.6's are for poor people.

lol...literally busted out laughing.

No excuse for anything less than a 9.8 if you're collecting modern books (don't know if I worded that correctly but you get the gist).  Even the "rare" Spawn #280 Mattina 666 is a joke.  CGC 9.8 copies are abundant.

54 minutes ago, Reno McCoy said:

I've never actually searched 9.6 copies on GPA. Wonder if the upticks in values trend upward at the same time the 9.8 counterparts do. I assume so, but I also assume the upward trend isn't as prominent. 

I know they did with the ASM 361 as I sold multiple 9.6s for between $225-250 within a couple of days on eBay. Now you can get a 9.8 for $300 or so and a 9.6 for $125. 

A rising tide lifts all boats theory in full effect. 

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

3 hours ago, Reno McCoy said:

I've never actually searched 9.6 copies on GPA. Wonder if the upticks in values trend upward at the same time the 9.8 counterparts do. I assume so, but I also assume the upward trend isn't as prominent. 

I checked Batman Adventures #12... when the CGC 9.8 went up about 250% over about 5 years, the CGC 9.6 went up 200%... so, "upward trend not as prominent" is a good guess.

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 7:56 AM, SteppinRazor said:

I think cgc is not handing out 9.8s like they used to, but 9.6 value hasn't caught up yet.  And most modern keys still aren't too overpriced that they are getting out of reach. CKinto's list is it for the whole era's major keys.  Everything else is low enough priced that 9.8s are still relatively accessible

Surprised nobody mentioned WD#1 which has been selling for over $2,500. 

19 hours ago, maraxusofkeld said:

Would you say the pursuit of a 9.8 is more of a bragging piece that anything else? At times the difference between the condition from a 9.6/9.8 is negligible.

No, it's just industry standard for moderns.

16 hours ago, raybowles said:

Surprised nobody mentioned WD#1 which has been selling for over $2,500. 

Good point

On 1/25/2018 at 10:13 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

lol...literally busted out laughing.

No excuse for anything less than a 9.8 if you're collecting modern books (don't know if I worded that correctly but you get the gist).  Even the "rare" Spawn #280 Mattina 666 is a joke.  CGC 9.8 copies are abundant.

7% of the print are graded 9.8.

7 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

7% of the print are graded 9.8.

666 x 0.07 = 46.62.  So 47 copies.  I'm assuming that's only CGC graded so there's probably another few 9.8 copies that are non CGC.  Add on top of that copies that haven't been submitted.

So yeah, abundant:bigsmile:.

26 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

666 x 0.07 = 46.62.  So 47 copies.  I'm assuming that's only CGC graded so there's probably another few 9.8 copies that are non CGC.  Add on top of that copies that haven't been submitted.

So yeah, abundant:bigsmile:.

666 of each cover.

There are only 10 for sale right now and 3 are auctions. In contrast, Hulk 181 has been graded over 10,000 times.