• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 "THIS SCORE NEEDS FIXIN" REQUESTS
4 4

133 posts in this topic

I'm not a frequent visitor to this thread, but has Action Comics (1938) #242 been addressed recently? Here are some bits of recent info.

Grade      Current Points  Recent Sale(s)

7.5            1200                     $19,120 11-17

7.0            1008                     $18,000 6-17

6.0            638                       $6100 6-17

5.5            576                       $5500 6-17

4.0            336                       $1463 11-17

2.0            144                       $665 1-18

An 8.0 gets 2016 points and the Mohawk Valley copy sold for $34,004 in 2016.

If one of the two top graded 8.5s came up for sale, they would likely see $40,000-$50,000+, but rate 3216 points.

Thanks for looking.

Imho, I think Daredevil #1 is way too high now (but an increase was needed, perhaps more along the lines of the new qualified scores for a #1) and Daredevil #7 is on the low side now.

- I own a 9.6 DD #1 and a 9.4 DD #7.......I’m being objective with my books’ actual points and not subjective with my score. (I will be losing thousands of points if others agree with my sentiments - Rather books in the Registry have a sound rhyme and reason for their represented point values) 

Edited by Icculus308win

Hello again,

I would like to see a point increase for New Gods 7, published 2-3/1972, because this comic book is in high demand and its cost has dramatically increased over, approximately, the past year. Some recent sale prices on eBay include a CGC graded 9.6 copy selling for over $600 and a CGC graded 9.2 copy selling for $400.

As always, thank you for your consideration.

I recall concern about PCH in general a few years back and I'm still concerned.  Here are some sales for selected Avon horror books that seem to be quite a bit out of whack:

Eerie 8, 7.5, $3,346 11/2017 (pts = 319)

Eerie 9, 7.5 $2,032 11/2017 (pts = 356)

City of the Living Dead, 6.5, $1233 11/2016 (pts = 109)

Diary of Horror, 5.5, $657 12/2017 (pts - 79)

Eerie 2, 5.5, $1,553 5/2016 (pts = 378)

Eerie 2, 4.0, $747, 8/2017 (pts =  221)

Eerie 2, 2.5, $300, 10/2017 (pts = 126)

Eerie 14, 7.5, $956 5/2017 (pts = 319)

While I'm at it, some of the good girl books are not tracking very well:

Claire Voyant 2, 4.5 raw, $502 9/2017 (pts = 52)

Claire Voyant 3, 2.5, $126 4/2017 (pts = 32)

Claire Voyant 3, 6.5, $675 4/2017 (pts = 106)

Claire Voyant 4, 7.0, $836 8/2017 (pts = 137)

Claire Voyant 4, 8.0, $1,075 3/2017 (pts = 273)

Hello,

I would like to see a point increase for Detective Comics 395 due to both the high demand for this issue, both raw and CGC graded, and sale prices of CGC graded copies. For example, two recent sales via ComicLink (http://www.comiclink.com/search.asp?where=sell&title=detective comics 395&ItemType=CB) were $3600 for a CGC graded 9.6 copy and $1223 for a CGC graded 9.4 copy.

Thank you again for your consideration.

Now the glitch in the scoring update has been resolved I agree it makes sense to review points values for Marvel and DC Silver Age keys. A number of these have been adjusted in the last week and others have been put forward by Bomber-Bob and electricprune. In addition to those already mentioned I think it will be timely to review Amazing Fantasy #15 which has taken a massive price hike in all grades in recent years and also Fantastic Four #1 which has been steadily rising in all grades over the last few months. Prices on Strange Tales #110 seemed to of calmed down in recent months but GPA still exceeds Registry points values in higher grades. All three of the books could probably use a 50% increase in points value.

Other Silver Age books where current GPA values in higher grades are far in excess of points values include:

• Amazing Spider-man #50 - first Kingpin - probably merits a 50% increase in points value
  • Amazing Spider-man Annual #1 - first Sinister Six - always great demand for this book in all grades - probably merits a 50% increase in points value
  • Fantastic Four #45 - demand for this book has calmed down in recent months but GPA still far exceeds relative Registry points values - I'd recommend this book is at least doubled
  • Strange Tales #89 - first Fin Fang Foom - demand far exceeds supply of this book and huge increases in prices realised for all grades over the last 12 months - would recommend a tripling of points value
  • Tales to Astonish #62 - first Leader. A 9.2 in the current ComicLink auction achieved $1425. I'd recommend points value is at least doubled 

A few Bronze Age keys that could use a review are:

• Amazing Spider-man #101 - big price increases in the last six months and probably merits a doubling in points value
  • Marvel Spotlight #5 - Registry points value in 9.4 is 1500 and most recent GPA in that grade is $3700. I'd suggest an increase of at least 50% is merited
  • Ms. Marvel #1 - lots of high grade copies keep appearing on the census but no reduction in demand and steady increases in price - probably merits a doubling in points value
  • Warlock #1 - regularly achieves strong prices in higher grades - GPA for 9.6 is $675 - I recommend a 50% increase in points value

Thanks for considering.

Hello Once Again,

I would like to see a point increase for Batman 25 from the Golden Age since, as with almost, if not all, Golden Age Batman comic books, especially in the higher CGC graded grades, are in very high demand and this issue has seen an especially strong and sustained price increase. Some examples of sales, via Heritage Auction Galleries (https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Ns=&Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&N=790+231+52&Ntt=Batman+25&ic4=SortBy-071515), are:

Auction 7158 | Lot 91013 » Golden Age (1938-1955)

Batman #25 (DC, 1944) CGC VF 8.0 White pages....

Bid Source: HA.com/Live

Service CGC

Grade VF 8.0

Auction Ended

Feb 23, 2017

Auction Archives

Sold For:  $2,748.50

Auction 121614 | Lot 11234 » Golden Age (1938-1955)

Batman #25 (DC, 1944) CGC VF- 7.5 White pages....

Bid Source: HA.com/Live

Service CGC

Grade VF- 7.5

Auction Ended

Apr 3, 2016

Auction Archives

Sold For:  $2,270.50

To repeat, thank you for your consideration.

Hello,

detective 37 score was not touched. :frown:  Tec 37 - last solo Batman with end to dark, sinister persona. There are a Total of ONLY 60 copies on the census, 45 Universal (10% being poor copies graded 0.5 or 1.0) and 15 Restored.

Here are a few recent sales all in December 2017

• 3.5 Universal - $17,500 ( worth 3150 points meh )
  • 5.5 Universal - $23,600  ( worth 6300 points meh )
  • 7.5 MP Restored - $9,000 ( worth 2756 points. WTF, worth almost as much as a 3.5 Universal grade )

A 7.5 is coming up to auction and a conservative sale estimate would be $50,000+. It sold in 2015 for $38,240.

I would think an appropriate score adjustment be triple (3X) across all grades/conditions for this particular book.

Thank you for all your work, we registry users much appreciate it.

Edited by Gotham Kid

Hello Again.

Here are a few more Silver and Bronze books that I think could do with a points adjustment to reflect current trends and recently reported sales on GPA:

• Amazing Spider-man #3 - first Doctor Octopus who vies with the Green Goblin as Spidey's premier foe. Always commands high prices in auctions and has shown steady increases in price in all grades over the last 12 months. I recommend a points uplift of at least 25%
  • Captain America #s 155 & 156 - featuring the 1950s Captain America. Always very popular and command high prices at auction. I recommend a doubling of points value on both books
  • Doctor Strange #177 - very scarce in higher grades, new costume and black cover. GPA for 9.4 is $ 485 and Registry points for this grade is 195. I recommend a doubling of points value
  • Giant-Size Defenders #3 - first appearance of Korvac. Very popular book with GPA in higher grades considerably outstripping the corresponding Registry points values. I recommend a points uplift of at least 50%
  • Giant-Size Fantastic Four #4 - first appearance of Madrox, the Multiple Man. Very popular and has been selling for high prices for a number of years. GPA for 9.4 is $319 with a Registry points value of 75 for that grade. I recommend a doubling of points value
  • Journey into Mystery #85 - first appearance of Loki. Always an important book but prices appear to have risen exponentially in recent months as demand far outstrips supply. This book could manage a doubling of points value, perhaps even tripling?
  • Marvel Feature (1971) #4 - reintroduction of Ant-Man and first appearance in own strip since 1963. Very popular book with GPA reflecting prices considerably in excess of corresponding Registry points values. I recommend an increase in points of at least 50%
  • Marvel Super-Heroes #12 - first appearance of Marvel's Captain Marvel. Has tended to be overshadowed by #13 in recent times but still a very important book in its own right and it's the first issue of this title. I recommend a 50% increase in points value to reflect demand and underlying GPA for higher grades
  • Strange Tales #s178 & 180 - seminal Starlin issues on the character he is arguably most identified with. #178 is the first Starlin issue and #180 features the first appearance of Gamora. Always great demand for both issues in all grades. I recommend points value for both issues is increased by 50%
  • X-Men #42 - 'death' of Professor X. There has been a huge spike in prices realised for this book in 9.4 and above and the black cover makes it very tough to find higher grades. I recommend points value is doubled

As usual, thank you for considering.

Jon

This might be the wrong form...

I have "Army of Darkness (Dark Horse)" #1 signed by Bruce Campbell and John Bolton (Cover & Artist), it has the score of 132.  I see other collections of the same book with just one sig. (Campbell) and it has the same score 132.  Is John Bolton's sig worthless in points?  Can someone post the link on how scoring works?  Or can one of these scores be a mistake?

Thanks for the help

-Joel

On 1/23/2018 at 1:08 PM, TheGirlHasNoName said:

2018 "THIS SCORE NEEDS FIXIN" REQUESTS

The lines are open!

Now... let's update some scores!

-m.

:baiting: Just in case you forgot about us.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

I forgot to mention my dear ASM #48 CGC 9.8 - which I paid $4300 for in 2013 (it's on GPA, I've got the Curator Copy) - but it's a pedigree book. Still plain vanilla isn't much cheaper - last one sold in 2013 for $3800 according to GPA:

Unavngivet.thumb.jpg.6f4c6b26a8a975b365c7ab4c3a9bf3d7.jpg

Best,

Rune

Edited by Rune

11 hours ago, Rune said:

I forgot to mention my dear ASM #48 CGC 9.8 - which I paid $4300 for in 2013 (it's on GPA, I've got the Curator Copy) - but it's a pedigree book. Still plain vanilla isn't much cheaper - last one sold in 2013 for $3800 according to GPA:

Unfortunately, the Registry doesn't acknowledge Pedigrees, no additional points. 

On 2/17/2018 at 2:32 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Unfortunately, the Registry doesn't acknowledge Pedigrees, no additional points. 

That is unfortunate. To most collectors I think Pedigree matters as much, if not more, as Signature.  Maybe a new slot is warranted?:wishluck: Signature does not differentiate between the value of who signed just a straight increase due to it being signed. Pedigree could work the same?

1 hour ago, Badger said:

That is unfortunate. To most collectors I think Pedigree matters as much, if not more, as Signature.  Maybe a new slot is warranted?:wishluck: Signature does not differentiate between the value of who signed just a straight increase due to it being signed. Pedigree could work the same?

I totally AGREE. Years ago, I enjoyed the Registry in a competitive way. Now, it's just a place to record my collection. There is simply so much wrong with the Registry I totally lost interest. From CGC's viewpoint, the maintenance is very labor intensive. Not much automation, just manual input. If they were to acknowledge Pedigrees, it would mean manually creating new slots for all the permutations of grade, signature, resto etc. I just don't think they are up for the task. 

Hello

Captain America #168 featuring the first appearance of Helmut Zemo is also in need of a review. Registry points on this book are the same as issues around it but it always sells for considerably more than the surrounding numbers. I would recommend a quadrupling of points for this issue.

Thanks for considering.

Jon

Forgot Amazing Spider-man #40 - it's about 5000 points for a 9.8 and 3000 for at 9.6.

9.8 is currently about 20k for plain vanilla (non-SS, non-pedigree) and 5k for 9.6 (non-SS, non-predigree), see the pic below (taken Feb 27 2018). Would be great to see this score increased :foryou:

Unavngivet2.thumb.png.587dd7aaf7533aeffc040d2511cf3157.png

Edited by Rune

On 1/31/2018 at 5:54 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Hello again,

I would like to see a point increase for New Gods 7, published 2-3/1972, because this comic book is in high demand and its cost has dramatically increased over, approximately, the past year. Some recent sale prices on eBay include a CGC graded 9.6 copy selling for over $600 and a CGC graded 9.2 copy selling for $400.

As always, thank you for your consideration.

Thank you!