• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 "THIS SCORE NEEDS FIXIN" REQUESTS
4 4

133 posts in this topic

Hi Mollie, a few recent sales of Avon "good girl" type books for roughly 5 times more than the registry points being awarded:

Saint 1 - a 5.5 copy sold this week on Comiclink for $666, CCGC points = 120.

Slave Girl 1 - a 6.5 copy sold for $959 on Comiclink for $959 this week, CCGC points = 218.

Strange Worlds 4 - an 8.0 copy sold this week on Comiclink for $5,128, CGC points = 1166.

Hello Mollie,   All the St.John romance titles with Matt Baker art and covers are extremely under pointed!!!

I could give dozens of examples via the major auction houses and Ebay sales. They are some of the hottest selling books in the market right now. These titles need 5-8X increases.

Cinderella Love 15, 25-29

Diary Secrets, Pictorial Romances, True Love Pictorial, Teenage Romances, Teenage Temptations, Wartime Romances, Giant Comics Editions 9, 12, 13, 15, Going Steady.

Thanks for any of your time.

On 1/31/2018 at 5:54 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Hello again,

I would like to see a point increase for New Gods 7, published 2-3/1972, because this comic book is in high demand and its cost has dramatically increased over, approximately, the past year. Some recent sale prices on eBay include a CGC graded 9.6 copy selling for over $600 and a CGC graded 9.2 copy selling for $400.

As always, thank you for your consideration.

Hello,

I would be grateful if CGC would reevaluate the points for New Gods 7. Although CGC graciously recently increased the points for this issue, a 9.8 copy just sold on a ComicLink auction for $3400.00, details pasted below, and 9.4 and 9.6 sales on eBay are also strong (see examples below). I believe that the points for this (edit) issue should be tripled.

NEW GODS #7 , CGC 9.8 NM/MT, White Pages JOHN G. FANTUCCHIO PEDIGREE
Highest Graded!
HIGHEST GRADED, 1 OF 2
1972; Origin Mr. Miracle and Orion. Jack Kirby story, cover and art, 1st appearance Steppenwolf
RAD791CB2018726_144541.jpg
Sale pending  
Price: $3,400 queue.gif

eBay Sales

New Gods #7 CGC 9.6 DC 1972 1st Steppenwolf! White Pages! Darkseid!

$995.00

NEW GODS #7 CGC 9.4 1ST STEPPENWOLF

$304.21

As always, thank you for you consideration and effort.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe

6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Love the Tec 9.4 you picked up on Storms' site (thumbsu

Thank you; when I saw it I thought that it would make a very, very nice addition to my Tec CGC collection.

I've noticed that the points value of Mister Miracle #4 has more than tripled, making it worth more than Mister Miracle #1.  How can this be?  I don't think the first appearance of Barda is more noteworthy than the first appearance of the title character.  Seems to me there is a flaw here.  issue #4 is popular at the moment, but that will settle down.  Issue #1 will always be the most collectible in this title, don't you think?  While I appreciate the points boost, it seems ill-considered and tied to current whims, not long-term value.

I suggest reducing #4's point value or boosting that of issue #1.  

On 9/7/2018 at 5:38 PM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Hello,

I would be grateful if CGC would reevaluate the points for New Gods 7. Although CGC graciously recently increased the points for this issue, a 9.8 copy just sold on a ComicLink auction for $3400.00, details pasted below, and 9.4 and 9.6 sales on eBay are also strong (see examples below). I believe that the points for this (edit) issue should be tripled.

NEW GODS #7 , CGC 9.8 NM/MT, White Pages JOHN G. FANTUCCHIO PEDIGREE
Highest Graded!
HIGHEST GRADED, 1 OF 2
1972; Origin Mr. Miracle and Orion. Jack Kirby story, cover and art, 1st appearance Steppenwolf
RAD791CB2018726_144541.jpg
Sale pending  
Price: $3,400 queue.gif

eBay Sales

New Gods #7 CGC 9.6 DC 1972 1st Steppenwolf! White Pages! Darkseid!

$995.00

NEW GODS #7 CGC 9.4 1ST STEPPENWOLF

$304.21

As always, thank you for you consideration and effort.

With all respect, tripling #7 is a bad idea.  I reiterate the point I made about the absurd inflation of the point value of Mister Miracle #4.  New Gods #7, if tripled, would carry more point value than issue #1, which makes no sense.  Current, temporary spikes in value shouldn't translate into illogical spikes in the issue's permanent point value.  New Gods #1 is, and always will be, much more significant than issue #7.   I argue that if any point value be added to issue 7, it be meager, and not inflated beyond the value of what is considered one of the keys of the Bronze Age, New Gods 1.  

Just noticed that issue 7 has already had its points inflated.  Certainly that is sufficient, in that it now equals issue #1 in points value.  I argue that's already too high.

Edited by JMoses

2 hours ago, JMoses said:

With all respect, tripling #7 is a bad idea.  I reiterate the point I made about the absurd inflation of the point value of Mister Miracle #4.  New Gods #7, if tripled, would carry more point value than issue #1, which makes no sense.  Current, temporary spikes in value shouldn't translate into illogical spikes in the issue's permanent point value.  New Gods #1 is, and always will be, much more significant than issue #7.   I argue that if any point value be added to issue 7, it be meager, and not inflated beyond the value of what is considered one of the keys of the Bronze Age, New Gods 1.  

Just noticed that issue 7 has already had its points inflated.  Certainly that is sufficient, in that it now equals issue #1 in points value.  I argue that's already too high.

With all due respect, based on my tracking of New Gods issues 1 and 7 sales, the demand for New Gods issue # 7 is as strong, if not stronger, than the demand for New Gods issue # 1 and several things, including price, point toward New Gods 7, at least currently (and perhaps for a longer term) being more desirable in the market place than New Gods 1. In point of fact, a New Gods 1 graded CGC 9.8 is presently for sale on eBay for $1,999.99, a CGC 9.6 in the old blue label is reported sold on June 6, 2018, for $785.00, and a 9.8 sold on ComicLink for $1823.00

Counter that with the New Gods 7 graded CGC  9.6 copy, which, of course, I include in my post requesting a point increase, which is reported sold for $995.00 on August 21, 2018, and, also of course, the CGC 9.8 copy which I note sold for $3400.00.

You appear to believe that New Gods 7 in the NM > grades is enjoying a "temporary" price increase and demand in contrast to New Gods 1 which is transforming into a "high priced issue" with indefinite demand. Which of these issues will be worth more in the "long term" is, presently, an open question as is, arguably to some extent, the question of which will be more in demand.

As a side note, although somewhat relevant, there are on the CGC census (updated today, September 11, 2018,) 39 (one qualified) 9.8 New Gods 1 (1199 total copies graded) compared to 3 9.8 New Gods 7 (314 total copies graded; 26% of the total graded copies of NG 1). Although it is expected that preceding and, apparently, following the Justice League film there was an increase in the submission of New Gods 7 to CGC, only two copies to date were graded 9.8 as the other 9.8 copy was graded several years prior to the film's announcement. When or if the 9.8 copies of New Gods 7 parallel those on New Gods 1 one can revisit demand for and value of each.

Concerning the significance of each issue relative to the other, while I agree that New Gods 1 is "much more significant" in at least in two aspects, it is issue #1 and the first appearance of several characters, including Orion, claiming that an issue is more significant simply because it is a # 1 issue is simplistic (from my reading, this seems to be your argument; if by "much more significant" and "key" you also mean the first appearances than you should have written such). For example, staying with the Justice League "theme," Brave and the Bold # 28 is far (far, far) more significant than is Brave and the Bold 1 (as are a great many other Brave and Bold issues) [I will not even mention Detective Comics 27 relative to Detective Comics 1; which I have]. Thus, to be clear, being a number 1 issue with first appearances does not more significant make as, for one thing, as we all know, a character must be in "demand" for its first appearance to be desirable. Of course, New Gods 7 is the first appearance of Steppenwolf, a "significant," or some such thing, villain.

In closing this overly long post, I argue that New Gods 7 deserves a point increase and that doing such is anything but a "bad idea." Whether it will receive such, and a tripling as I request will, naturally, be determined by CGC. Accordingly, as a counter argument to your post, I believe that New Gods 7, in fact, deserves a substantial point increase as, does arguably, New Gods 1.

In closing, again, I appreciate your post as I enjoy "banter" when time permits which, unfortunately, for me is rare. If you respond and I, in turn, respond again, I will continue to maintain a cordial demeanor, as I am certain that you also will, because, regrettably, I have seen far too many discussions such as ours on these board reduced to, shall we say, uninformative back-and-forth.

Best regards.

3 hours ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

With all due respect, based on my tracking of New Gods issues 1 and 7 sales, the demand for New Gods issue # 7 is as strong, if not stronger, than the demand for New Gods issue # 1 and several things, including price, point toward New Gods 7, at least currently (and perhaps for a longer term) being more desirable in the market place than New Gods 1. In point of fact, a New Gods 1 graded CGC 9.8 is presently for sale on eBay for $1,999.99, a CGC 9.6 in the old blue label is reported sold on June 6, 2018, for $785.00, and a 9.8 sold on ComicLink for $1823.00

Counter that with the New Gods 7 graded CGC  9.6 copy, which, of course, I include in my post requesting a point increase, which is reported sold for $995.00 on August 21, 2018, and, also of course, the CGC 9.8 copy which I note sold for $3400.00.

You appear to believe that New Gods 7 in the NM > grades is enjoying a "temporary" price increase and demand in contrast to New Gods 1 which is transforming into a "high priced issue" with indefinite demand. Which of these issues will be worth more in the "long term" is, presently, an open question as is, arguably to some extent, the question of which will be more in demand.

As a side note, although somewhat relevant, there are on the CGC census (updated today, September 11, 2018,) 39 (one qualified) 9.8 New Gods 1 (1199 total copies graded) compared to 3 9.8 New Gods 7 (314 total copies graded; 26% of the total graded copies of NG 1). Although it is expected that preceding and, apparently, following the Justice League film there was an increase in the submission of New Gods 7 to CGC, only two copies to date were graded 9.8 as the other 9.8 copy was graded several years prior to the film's announcement. When or if the 9.8 copies of New Gods 7 parallel those on New Gods 1 one can revisit demand for and value of each.

Concerning the significance of each issue relative to the other, while I agree that New Gods 1 is "much more significant" in at least in two aspects, it is issue #1 and the first appearance of several characters, including Orion, claiming that an issue is more significant simply because it is a # 1 issue is simplistic (from my reading, this seems to be your argument; if by "much more significant" and "key" you also mean the first appearances than you should have written such). For example, staying with the Justice League "theme," Brave and the Bold # 28 is far (far, far) more significant than is Brave and the Bold 1 (as are a great many other Brave and Bold issues) [I will not even mention Detective Comics 27 relative to Detective Comics 1; which I have]. Thus, to be clear, being a number 1 issue with first appearances does not more significant make as, for one thing, as we all know, a character must be in "demand" for its first appearance to be desirable. Of course, New Gods 7 is the first appearance of Steppenwolf, a "significant," or some such thing, villain.

In closing this overly long post, I argue that New Gods 7 deserves a point increase and that doing such is anything but a "bad idea." Whether it will receive such, and a tripling as I request will, naturally, be determined by CGC. Accordingly, as a counter argument to your post, I believe that New Gods 7, in fact, deserves a substantial point increase as, does arguably, New Gods 1.

In closing, again, I appreciate your post as I enjoy "banter" when time permits which, unfortunately, for me is rare. If you respond and I, in turn, respond again, I will continue to maintain a cordial demeanor, as I am certain that you also will, because, regrettably, I have seen far too many discussions such as ours on these board reduced to, shall we say, uninformative back-and-forth.

Best regards.

I stand by my argument that issue one is more historically significant than #7, and that current prices are not the sole, or perhaps even the best, indicators of point values for competitive sets.  CGC can make the call, but it seems to me that a longer view than current market is indicated.  This will be my last word, and of course in the great scheme of things, this is a very minor issue.  All the best.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:24 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Hi Mollie,

I've come to plead the case for adjustments to registry points allocated to Detective 34.

For that I gathered data points of all public sales for 2018 (Jan - Aug) across several venues. Some have likely reported their sales to GPA, others haven't. We are talking about a book from 1939 so not that many sales to report :wink:

They are as follows:

• (2018) Tec 34 5.5 $7300* eBay -> registry points for a 5.5 (4140)
  • (2018) Tec 34 5.0 $6100* Comiclink -> registry points for a 5.0 (3450)
  • (2018) Tec 34 2.5 $2900* Hakes -> registry points for a 2.5 (1380)
  • (2018) Tec 34 7.0 (R) EP $1900* Heritage -> registry points for a 7.0 EP (1087)

*rounded values

There is a noticeable upward swing from sales results of 2017.

There are no 34s in the next round of auctions of the BIG 3 ( Heritage, ComicConnect and ComicLink ) so I don't expect many more data points until the end of the year. As there are a Total of only 70 copies (42 Universal + 28Restored) on the census, it is only natural they don't come up all that often.

I think a 2.0-2.5 multiplier should correctly adjust most registry points across Universal and Restored grades for Detective 34 to today's FMVs.

Thanks for your consideration and have a nice day.

- Peter

On 8/9/2018 at 4:08 AM, Gotham Kid said:

A 2.0 sold at auction on ebay tonight for $2758. Registry points for a 2.0 (1035)

My 2.5 point multiplier suggestion right on the money :wink:

@TheGirlHasNoName

:bump:

:foryou:

Edited by Gotham Kid

Hi Mollie

I'd be grateful if you could review points values for a few Silver Age Marvels when you get chance. Registry points seem to lag behind current market values on the following books:

• Daredevil #38 - great Doctor Doom cover and Fantastic Four crossover (the story concludes in FF #73). Current GPA for 9.4 is $575 and Registry points for that grade is 255. I recommend points value is doubled.
  • Daredevil #54 - Spidey cameo and very scarce in higher grades with only 31 copies at 9.4 or better. Current GPA for 9.4 is $309 with Registry points at 150. I recommend points value is doubled.
  • Daredevil #55 - very scarce in higher grades (19 at 9.4 or better and only one copy at 9.8). Top grade copies rarely come to market and always command high prices when they become available. GPA for 9.4 is currently $825 with Registry points at 150. I recommend points value is tripled.
  • Sub-Mariner #22 - story continues from Doctor Strange #183 and concludes in Hulk #126 - a sort of try out for the Defenders! GPA for 9.4 is $175 with Registry points at 96. I recommend points value is increased by 50%.
  • Tales of Suspense #75 - first appearance of Sharon Carter and Batroc. GPA for 9.4 is $460 with Registry points at 330. I recommend points value is increased by between 25% to 50%.
  • Tales of Suspense #79 - great issue with Sub-Mariner crossover in Iron Man story and start of Red Skull Cosmic Cube saga in Cap story. Only 19 copies graded at 9.4 or better. GPA for 9.4 is currently $720 with Registry points for this grade is 420. I recommend points value is increased by at least 50%.
  • Tales of Suspense #94 - first appearance of MODOK. Current GPA for 9.4 is $450 with Registry points for that grade at 300. I recommend points value is increased by 50%.
  • Thor #129 - first appearance of Ares and very scarce in high grade - only 22 copies at 9.4 or better with none at 9.8. GPA for 9.4 is currently $526 with Registry points of 330. I recommend a 50% increase in points value.  
  • Thor #134 - first appearance of High Evolutionary. GPA for 9.4 is currently $575 with Registry points value of 280. I recommend points value for this book are doubled.
  • Thor #148 - first appearance of the Wrecker. GPA for 9.4 is $335 with Registry points value for this grade at 220. I recommend points value for this book is increased by 50%.
  • Thor #150 - classic Hela cover. GPA for 9.4 is $450 with Registry points value for this grade at 220. I recommend points value is doubled.
  • Thor 154 - first appearance of Mangog. Current GPA for 9.4 is $350 with Registry points for this grade at 180. I recommend points value is doubled.

Thanks for considering.

Jon

On 9/11/2018 at 4:08 PM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Best regards.

Speaking of New Gods, #2 (1st Darkseid cover and his 2nd full appearance) in CGC 9.8 has sold for $1300 on eBay and last month for $1,350 on ComicLink. Would like to request an increase in points for that one as well-

thanks

Hi Mollie

Following my recent post where I've suggested some Silver Age Marvels for points review I'd also like to suggest reviews on a few Bronze Age Marvels. These are:

• Black Panther #1 (1977) - this book has attracted significant demand arising from the BP movie and related media/ cultural interest. The book is sought after in all grades with current GPA for 9.4 running at $174 and registry points for this grade at 100. This popularity shows no sign of subsiding and so I recommend points are doubled.
  • Captain Marvel #s 26, 28 & 29 - The Jim Starlin run continues to remain very popular with the first, and best, Thanos story arc. Points values on most of the Starlin issues (#s 25 to 34)broadly represent current market values with the exception of these three issues. Registry points for each of these three issues lag significantly behind GPA at the 9.4 grade and I recommend registry points are doubled, and perhaps even tripled in the case of #s 28 & 29.
  • Incredible Hulk #157 - an in demand issue featuring a Rhino appearance. Current GPA for 9.4 is $125 with registry points for this grade at 90. Could probably be increased by 50%.
  • Iron Man #47 - phenomenally popular issue retelling origin with great Barry Smith art. Current GPA for 9.4 is $455 and registry points for this grade are at 150. I recommend points are tripled.
  • Sub-Mariner #50 - another issue which is in high demand featuring first appearance of Namorita. Current GPA for 9.4 is $277 with registry points for this grade at 60. I recommend points are tripled. 

Thanks for considering.

Jon

Molly, some more recent sales that show prices 5-10X the points:

Campus Romances 2 CGC 4.5 sold on Comiclink yesterday for $151, CGC points are only 29.

Crimes by Women 9 CGC 3.0 sold on Comiclink yesterday for $280, CGC points are only 44.

Phantom Witch Doctor CGC 4.0 sold on Comiclink yesterday for $483, CGC points are only 50.

Terrors of the Jungle 4 CGC 6.5 sold on Comiclink yesterday for $837, CGC points are only $107. 

Mollie, ignore if you've addressed my 7/14/18 post.  The Avon one-shot in my last listing (Phantom Witch Doctor) sold for nearly 10 times its CGC point rating, but I should also have mentioned the other Avon one-shot that was the most underpointed of the recent sales:

Dead Who Walk CGC 4.0 sold this week on Comicconnect for $730, CGC points are only 57.

44 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

What if the registry is correct and your label is wrong ? 

That is entirely possible. I bought this on e*ay in February and sort of forgot about it. Now, it is too late to return or formally complain about it. It does look like it may have been tampered with.....a lot of work for such a low value book though.

Edited by Ron C.

13 hours ago, Ron C. said:

That is entirely possible. I bought this on e*ay in February and sort of forgot about it. Now, it is too late to return or formally complain about it. It does look like it may have been tampered with.....a lot of work for such a low value book though.

This is strange. I would call CGC about it. They are much better at answering the phone than answering an E-Mail.

Mollie, more Avons selling yesterday for more than 5 times what CGC awards for points (more than 14 times in one case):

Slave Girl #1 CGC 5.0, sold for $754.80, CGC points are only 145.

Buddies in the U.S. Army #1 raw fine sold for $216, CGC points for a universal 6.0 are only 22.

Buddies in the U.S. Army #2 raw vg-f sold for $144, CGC points for a universal 5.0 are only 10.

Hi Mollie,

Can you take a look at All American Comics #61? It has the first appearance of Solomon Grundy, and I believe is noted as a "Classic Cover." It doesn't come up for sale all to often, but here are some recent results:

Grade      Current Points  Recent Sale(s)

8.0 (A3)    1620                    $4011 9-17

6.5            1200                    $20,000 9-17 and $15,000 on C-Link in 2017

5.5             960                      $11,651 2-18

3.5 (B4)     101                      $2509 7-18

1.5 (Q)      153                       $2800 7-17

Not much data for low high grade blues recently, but lower grades blow away their current point values.

Thanks for looking.