• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone explain this?

14 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me why CGC would put on the label “very small amount of dried  glue on spine”? To my mind, it serves absolutely no purpose since the amount of glue on the spine was so small that it did not warrant a conserved label. When there is writing  on book, I have yet to see “writing on cover”. So why did they do this? It should not have been put on the label in my opinion!

2FCAB5DA-AFC8-4976-A531-2FE6FF807474.jpeg

Edited by Ghastly542454

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

There aren’t a lot of them but I’ve probably seen a few dozen books or so with those entries on universal labels.

Church Mile Highs. I'm not sure if all of the Blue label Churches that have the glue and color-touch have the notes detailing it. It may have been left off some of the first ones graded, wayback when, and/or the notes about the resto not carried over on resubs. I'm not 100% sure, I have to review, it's a while ago.

I do remember some flip flopping in sentiment on how to label these mildly restored Church books even before the CGC opened its doors for business and I've forgotten the fine details and chronology of the progression of the issue. I'll see if I can find some of my notes to jog my memory on whether the chicken or egg came first on this discretionary blue label treating of minor color-touch and glue on Golden age (and the Church books).

However the CGC did treat the issue, it was always above board, fully explained, the policy outlined on the back of the label.

Edited by James J Johnson
spelling typos

Folklore has it that CGC needed to make a concession to slightly restored GA books to get the big fish in the comic world to come on board when it started up. I think any later book with a spot of glue or colour would be PLODDED, but that wouldn't do for people holding big GA books.

16 hours ago, AJD said:

Folklore has it that CGC needed to make a concession to slightly restored GA books to get the big fish in the comic world to come on board when it started up. I think any later book with a spot of glue or colour would be PLODDED, but that wouldn't do for people holding big GA books.

14 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

The cutoff year may be 1953.  I could be wrong about that.

My Showcase #6 has a very small dab of glue on the spine (placed there to prevent further tearing) and it was given a PLOD label.

The WW #6 shown above also has a very small amount of glue on the spine, yet it is has a Universal label.

So... why is that?

Because it isn't GA and published after 1953?  If that's the case, then it seems like my SA book is getting a bum rap.

Also, if someone can explain to me, why CGC considers a piece of tape on a comic book as Universal, while a dab of glue used for the same purpose is deemed Restored?

(shrug)

Showcase1956-006-CGC45R-0187941021.jpeg.1cb3ff9137f31375970d6e1a5a289c4e.jpeg

Small amount of glue seems to be the same thing as tape -- both instances are done to prevent further damage.  Should they both warrant a PLOD?  I don't think so, regardless of the age of the book.

Would you give a silver age book a Purple label for pressing?  If so get ready to produce a lot of purple labels.

9 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

Because it isn't GA and published after 1953?  If that's the case, then it seems like my SA book is getting a bum rap.

The year was 1950.  My mistake.  Here's info from a grader:

9 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
19 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

The year was 1950.  My mistake.  Here's info from a grader:

The "golden rule" for small dabs of glue, as stated by the grader. Good to know. It seems less arbitrary than what I thought it was. Thanks Blowie! (thumbsu

It seems pretty arbitrary to me! "Rich collectors had some of their books monkeyed with, so let's just pretend that's okay for everybody's old books." ...sure. :eyeroll:

Also, how exactly do they quantify "small amount" vs. "moderate amount" ? Is there a guide to how much is too much?

I'm wondering, as my only purple label book is this one, which says Slight (A), "Restoration includes moderate amount of glue on spine and cover." Just trying to figure out how much more glue there was to push this from a blue label "small amount" to a purple "moderate."

PKaoQ4h.jpg

Edited by Crimebuster