• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a year too long for my book to be delivered from Paradise Comics?
7 7

852 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I have been dealing with CGC since 2000 and helped launch the Signature Series label in 2002. With the completion of store renovations and staff turnover this past year there has been some disorganization on our part. We are working with CGC to rectify this and have everyone's comics returned in a timely manner. CGC has been fantastic in helping move things along. We have revamped our staffing situation and have things running much more smoothly and are working hard to ensure this situation never reoccurs.

Peter Dixon

Paradise Comics

2 hours ago, Paradise_Comics said:

Hello everyone. I have been dealing with CGC since 2000 and helped launch the Signature Series label in 2002. With the completion of store renovations and staff turnover this past year there has been some disorganization on our part. We are working with CGC to rectify this and have everyone's comics returned in a timely manner. CGC has been fantastic in helping move things along. We have revamped our staffing situation and have things running much more smoothly and are working hard to ensure this situation never reoccurs.

Peter Dixon

Paradise Comics

Peter, I mean no disrespect here, however, your implication is CGC shared in the 'problem'. What exactly was the problem and why was CGC part of it ? As mentioned in the thread, the only possible explanations are you did not ship to CGC when you said you did or CGC was holding the books pending payment. If you screwed up, no biggie, no damage, no long lasting stain on your reputation. However, trying to pass the buck to CGC does not sit well. I hope you consider this and reply with how the turnaround time for you reached over a year. Thanks for considering.

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I do not understand why people hand off books to their LCS to submit.  Why not just submit them yourself? 

Some use LCS as a "gateway" when just learning or don't sub a lot so 'easier' to just go through LCS.  Some LCS are authorized witnesses and can get CGC Signature Series designation.

Bomber-Bob, In no way did I "implicate" CGC. Now the books are in the process of returning back to my store. Do you personally have an outstanding invoice? If so please email Kristina@paradisecomics.com, she has been organizing submissions so that this issue gets resolved. I have an excellent reputation in the Comic industry. Mistakes happen, and there has been some disorganization. Once my customers started coming to me with their invoices, I have taken steps to rectify it and again would like to thank the good people at CGC for such a positive long term working relationship. 

Best Regards

Peter Dixon

Paradise Comics

21 minutes ago, Paradise_Comics said:

Bomber-Bob, In no way did I "implicate" CGC. Now the books are in the process of returning back to my store. Do you personally have an outstanding invoice? If so please email Kristina@paradisecomics.com, she has been organizing submissions so that this issue gets resolved. I have an excellent reputation in the Comic industry. Mistakes happen, and there has been some disorganization. Once my customers started coming to me with their invoices, I have taken steps to rectify it and again would like to thank the good people at CGC for such a positive long term working relationship. 

Best Regards

Peter Dixon

Paradise Comics

Glad to see that this is all getting resolved :) 

10 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I do not understand why people hand off books to their LCS to submit.  Why not just submit them yourself? 

It also makes sense for smaller submissions (especially for us north of the border). 

If one is only subbing 2 books return shipping from cgc is $60 usd via FedEx. If one subs 2 books through an lcs they likely wouldn't ding them nearly that much for return shipping. 

13 hours ago, Paradise_Comics said:

Best Regards

Peter Dixon

Paradise Comics

I agree.  Your previous post didn't implicate CGC in any wrongdoing.  However, several recent posts by @DonSal1976 described an interaction with Kristina that gave DonSal a very strong indication that CGC was the bad guy in all this and Paradise Comics is mostly just along for the ride; a notion that he shared very passionately in this thread.  I realize that you have no control over what someone else posts here, but it sounds like Kristina may not have been as willing to assume responsibility in all this as you have.  DonSal's scathing post about CGC is likely what prompted @Bomber-Bob's post.

In this way, you've indirectly cast a bad light upon CGC and it seems that Bob was simply trying to get some details to dispel any perceived negativity from their company. 

10 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I agree.  Your previous post didn't implicate CGC in any wrongdoing.  However, several recent posts by @DonSal1976 described an interaction with Kristina that gave DonSal a very strong indication that CGC was the bad guy in all this and Paradise Comics is mostly just along for the ride; a notion that he shared very passionately in this thread.  I realize that you have no control over what someone else posts here, but it sounds like Kristina may not have been as willing to assume responsibility in all this as you have.  DonSal's scathing post about CGC is likely what prompted @Bomber-Bob's post.

In this way, you've indirectly cast a bad light upon CGC and it seems that Bob was simply trying to get some details to dispel any perceived negativity from their company. 

I never said CGC was the “bad guy” in all of this. I don’t believe that paradise is 100% to blame for this either meaning that there is some blame to go around. CGC has knowingly had my books (and many other people’s) in their vaults for almost a year. If that didn’t set off alarms and push CGC to correct any issues they were aware of then they are not completely innocent either. My main issue with CGC has been their complete and utterly horrible customer service with me personally. Kristina at paradise has been nothing but helpful to me and many others, and I in no way said she led me to believe anything about CGC. These are my personal feelings and not those of anyone at paradise comics. 

Edited by DonSal1976

On 1/28/2018 at 2:19 PM, DonSal1976 said:

No that shouldt be the problem. When we bring books in we specifically ask when the batch will be sent in and we are told the exact date. From what I understand it’s not a paradise issue it’s strictly delays on CGCs end. 

You did say CGC was "the bad guy" a few posts ago as per your quote.

So how did you come to "understand" it was not a Paradise issue but a delay on CGC's end?

Edited by Wall-Crawler
clarity

2 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Uhmm...So how did you come to "understand" it was not a Paradise issue but a delay on CGC's end?

SOMEONE initially told you that...

I was told that the comics were sent in to CGC when they were supposed to and I believe that. There are other issues I’m not privy to or aware of I understand that. I came to my own conclusions that this whole mess is not 100% paradises fault. People on here are speculating that payments weren’t made on time or other reasons for the delays, maybe so maybe not, I don’t know. I DO know the following...books with my name,phone number and email on the attached paperwork (not just paradise comics info) have been sitting in their vaults for over 10 months. Unless CGCs inventory system is a complete disaster (I don’t think so) they are fully aware that a paying customers books have been sitting there for that long. Whatever the issues at play are CGC have their reputation to uphold, and not attempting to resolve this issue months ago or at the very least contacting affected customers to let them know the status of their books is  YES partly their fault. 

Its been 20 days since this thread and posts were started on their own chat boards and not one employee or  representative from CGC has said anything regarding the situation. You guys can bash me all you want regarding my belief that CGC is partly responsible for this but the lack of communication in any way from them only furthers my opinions and their validity. 

1 hour ago, DonSal1976 said:

I was told that the comics were sent in to CGC when they were supposed to and I believe that. There are other issues I’m not privy to or aware of I understand that. I came to my own conclusions that this whole mess is not 100% paradises fault. People on here are speculating that payments weren’t made on time or other reasons for the delays, maybe so maybe not, I don’t know. I DO know the following...books with my name,phone number and email on the attached paperwork (not just paradise comics info) have been sitting in their vaults for over 10 months. Unless CGCs inventory system is a complete disaster (I don’t think so) they are fully aware that a paying customers books have been sitting there for that long. Whatever the issues at play are CGC have their reputation to uphold, and not attempting to resolve this issue months ago or at the very least contacting affected customers to let them know the status of their books is  YES partly their fault. 

As someone stated before...in this instance, Paradise Comics is CGC's customer.  In this instance, you are a customer of Paradise Comics, not CGC.  CGC owes you no information as you didn't submit directly do them.  You entered into a contract with Paradise Comics, not CGC. 

People speculated on payment delays because given what we know about the current situation, it seems to be the most likely scenario.  People here know CGC will hold books at their site until payment has been received in full. 

Could you imagine the blowback if you could submit a book to CGC and have someone else call in and claim ownership of your book?  That would be a disaster.  So why would CGC distribute or even give anyone information about books that belong to their customer (Paradise Comics) to anyone other than the customer (again, Paradise Comics)?  In the eyes of CGC, a book belongs to the submitter (in this case, Paradise Comics), no matter what name is attached to the books. 

It is Paradise Comic's responsibility to get your books back to you.  If you want to hold CGC accountable, hire them directly next time by submitting your books directly to them.  Your ire should be directed at the middle man. 

1 hour ago, DonSal1976 said:

Curious - did you proactively reach out to CGC customer service about the situation?  If so, what did they tell you?

In all my years of dealing with them, I've never known them to make a concerted outreach effort to inform customers of their books' grading status, the onus has always been on the customer to contact them. 

16 hours ago, Paradise_Comics said:

Best Regards

Peter Dixon

Paradise Comics

Peter, thanks for the reply. You are correct, you did not implicate CGC. I apologize for that statement. However, the implication of this thread, specifically made by your customer DonSal1976 , is that CGC was at fault. He states that CGC has knowingly been holding the books in their vault and would not answer his inquires. He is still ranting about it. I think we all realize (except for DonSal) that CGC would not talk to him because the books were not submitted by him. His accusation that CGC was holding the books in their vault is the unexplained aspect of all this. I don't think anybody here cares about the rantings of DonSal but it would be nice if you could specifically clarify what happened. If the submission was 'late' getting to CGC, no biggie. Just tell us so we can get this very disgruntled customer of yours, DonSal, out of here. Help us, HaHa !

2 hours ago, DonSal1976 said:

Its been 20 days since this thread and posts were started on their own chat boards and not one employee or  representative from CGC has said anything regarding the situation. You guys can bash me all you want regarding my belief that CGC is partly responsible for this but the lack of communication in any way from them only furthers my opinions and their validity. 

If only there were some other way you could communicate directly with CGC, instead of yelling out loud in a public square? 

https://www.cgccomics.com/contact/

3 hours ago, DonSal1976 said:

I don’t believe that paradise is 100% to blame for this either meaning that there is some blame to go around. CGC has knowingly had my books (and many other people’s) in their vaults for almost a year. If that didn’t set off alarms and push CGC to correct any issues they were aware of then they are not completely innocent either. My main issue with CGC has been their complete and utterly horrible customer service with me personally.

They "knowingly had" your books?  You mean the books on Paradise's account that, as far as CGC knows, have nothing to do with you?  The same CGC Peter has said had nothing to do with the delay?  What did you want CGC to do?  Did you want them to set off alarms about books that had been with CGC for a long time (maybe due to not being paid) and then read your mind that the books were yours, not the dealer # on the actual invoice?  What is it exactly that you think CGC was "aware of"?

20 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Peter, thanks for the reply. You are correct, you did not implicate CGC. I apologize for that statement. However, the implication of this thread, specifically made by your customer DonSal1976 , is that CGC was at fault. He states that CGC has knowingly been holding the books in their vault and would not answer his inquires. He is still ranting about it. I think we all realize (except for DonSal) that CGC would not talk to him because the books were not submitted by him. His accusation that CGC was holding the books in their vault is the unexplained aspect of all this. I don't think anybody here cares about the rantings of DonSal but it would be nice if you could specifically clarify what happened. If the submission was 'late' getting to CGC, no biggie. Just tell us so we can get this very disgruntled customer of yours, DonSal, out of here. Help us, HaHa !

+1

And his thinking behind it is that "CGC didn't reach out to him", AND didn't help when he called.

How was CGC supposed to do that if they didn't have his information, as none was provided by Paradise Comics..... We've heard other customers waiting for invoices to return to Paradise to pick up that there name, number or anything was NOT on the invoice..... How was CGC supposed to get this information to somehow contact a customer of Paradise if it wasn't provided?

Edit: lol @Transplant we both said the same thing at the exact same time.... How is CGC supposed to know "who's there were" other than paradise.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

10 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think I’ve now repeated myself multiple times, I believe that CGC is “partially” at fault in this whole situation, not fully..please learn to read if you are going to post. Paradise comics has answered any questions I had for them, CGC has not. Your opinions are just that, yours. Everyone else on here is free to express theirs, as am I. If you don’t want to listen to my comments then by all means, please skip them. My issue for the final time is how CGC has handled my customer complaints and this entire situation.  ??

2 minutes ago, Transplant said:

If only there were some other way you could communicate directly with CGC, instead of yelling out loud in a public square? 

https://www.cgccomics.com/contact/

They "knowingly had" your books?  You mean the books on Paradise's account that, as far as CGC knows, have nothing to do with you?  The same CGC Peter has said had nothing to do with the delay?  What did you want CGC to do?  Did you want them to set off alarms about books that had been with CGC for a long time (maybe due to not being paid) and then read your mind that the books were yours, not the dealer # on the actual invoice?  What is it exactly that you think CGC was "aware of"?

Contacted them by email and by phone. Both attempts were met with absolutely no attempt to help......each invoice has my personal information, so they had it. Pleading ignorance of a situation is not a viable defence. Like I said, please continue to bash me as you see fit, I am entitled to my personal opinions. 

1 minute ago, DonSal1976 said:

I think I’ve now repeated myself multiple times, I believe that CGC is “partially” at fault in this whole situation, not fully..please learn to read if you are going to post. Paradise comics has answered any questions I had for them, CGC has not. Your opinions are just that, yours. Everyone else on here is free to express theirs, as am I. If you don’t want to listen to my comments then by all means, please skip them. My issue for the final time is how CGC has handled my customer complaints and this entire situation.  ??

Ever think another reason, on top of what @Turtle @Transplant and others have said,  is because CGC doesn't want to throw Paradise under the bus (shrug)

Bottom line, Paradise knew they had many customers waiting on overdue books.  Why didn't Paradise simply post a notice on their Facebook Page and/or also post a notice in store that they were going through a transition phase and there would be a delay with them processing customers books with CGC but they were working through it? I think most customers would have understood and been pretty forgiving.

The delay is a problem for sure, but to me, the real problem is with how Paradise chose to handle the situation. Paradise not offering any concrete information about the status of their customers books, sometimes after repeated inquiries,  only compounded the problem and is the real issue.  

2c