• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a year too long for my book to be delivered from Paradise Comics?
7 7

852 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

Yeah, I know, but I’m just trying to be polite. :foryou: 

I like Pete, I just don’t want to see this continue to escalate.

Then Pete needs to get his Sh*t together. And soon.

Am I waiting on a book from Paradise? Nope.

Then I need to stay out of this. OK.

Sounds like there is a huge market for this type of submission service in Canada.  You would think another company or board member would step up and fill that void with some good customer service and make some cash.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Sounds like there is a huge market for this type of submission service in Canada.  You would think another company or board member would step up and fill that void with some good customer service and make some cash.

In a major metropolitan city too.  And with unbelievablely polite  and patientcustomers.  But also subject to currency issues if waiting times get too long, as well as some somewhat complicated accounting for a small business, and just a bunch of hassle overall.  And what is the profit margin?  Is it worth the risk?  And the trouble?

as a store owner I’d rather just sit down with you and show you how to open your own account on iPad or phone 

On 12/02/2018 at 9:15 PM, Brandon191 said:

I picked up my book today for those wondering. 

Brandon191, would you consider adding the name "Paradise Comics" to the original title of this post? I think it would bring in even more people, as it would come up in searches on the subject. Thanks again for starting this up!

Us Canadians have such a hard time getting stuff graded, it's brutal.  So many run arounds either via mail and duty problems on returns, submissions via 3rd party's, etc.

I have a stack of books I'd love to get graded but its too much of a hassle. 

37 minutes ago, Erndog said:

Us Canadians have such a hard time getting stuff graded, it's brutal.  So many run arounds either via mail and duty problems on returns, submissions via 3rd party's, etc.

I have a stack of books I'd love to get graded but its too much of a hassle. 

Honestly, it seems way more worth it drive across the border every once in a while (depending on where you live, but most people live within one or two hours of the border) to a friend's house or PO box.  Obviously it doesn't work out for everyone, and I guess there's the very small chance you get checked by customs (though I'm not sure what the issues would be if its not hundreds of comics), but the savings on shipping and fees and wait times and insurance and everything seems worth it.  Maybe team up with one or two friends to make it worth it if necessary.  I'm pretty sure if I was in Toronto or Vancouver I'd think pretty hard about it.

12 minutes ago, revat said:

Honestly, it seems way more worth it drive across the border every once in a while (depending on where you live, but most people live within one or two hours of the border) to a friend's house or PO box.  Obviously it doesn't work out for everyone, and I guess there's the very small chance you get checked by customs (though I'm not sure what the issues would be if its not hundreds of comics), but the savings on shipping and fees and wait times and insurance and everything seems worth it.  Maybe team up with one or two friends to make it worth it if necessary.  I'm pretty sure if I was in Toronto or Vancouver I'd think pretty hard about it.

It's something I've considered but that's such a pain too (driving time to and from, a PO box charge, gas, ruining a weekend morning or afternoon, and not to mention the possibility of having some type of tax/duty charge when I return anyways).  I have a 2.5 year old and another one on the way next month, there's really no way I can bounce from the house for a full morning or afternoon to go get some comics 2 hours away.  

Wish CGC would choose to open a Canadian location.  Without it, its really prohibitive for us to get stuff graded.  Last time I did, I got a huge tax/duty bill on return.

Edited by Erndog

3 minutes ago, Erndog said:
15 minutes ago, revat said:

It's something I've considered but that's such a pain too (driving time to and from, a PO box charge, gas, ruining a weekend morning or afternoon, and not to mention the possibility of having some type of tax/duty charge when I return anyways).  I have a 2.5 year old and another one on the way next month, there's really no way I can bounce from the house for a full morning or afternoon to go get some comics 2 hours away.  

Wish CGC would choose to open a Canadian location.  Without it, its really prohibitive for us to get stuff graded.  Last time I did, I got a huge tax/duty bill on return.

Which U.S. comic shop is closest to the border ?  Maybe something could be worked out that way ? 

10 minutes ago, Erndog said:

Erndog:  You know you would just inform the government that they were your goods shipped to the US for evaluation purposes only and sent back, and you'd get all your money back correct?

Jim

1 minute ago, Guardian Comics said:

Erndog:  You know you would just inform the government that they were your goods shipped to the US for evaluation purposes only and sent back, and you'd get all your money back correct?

Jim

Wasn't that easy.  I tried.  They said I needed proof.  I didn't document the books or anything before sending them out. 

12 minutes ago, Erndog said:
24 minutes ago, revat said:

Yah I get that it can be a time crunch.  Ideally one would have a friend or family member just over the border so you can make a day of it with a visit or meal or some fun too (and hold your packages indefinitely).  From Vancouver and Toronto there are major US cities right over the border

2 minutes ago, Guardian Comics said:

Jim

yes, bring all your receipts and documentation.  In the unlikely event you get stopped, the documentation should show that the items weren't bought in the US, that you just sent them for grading.

I actually just spoke with fedex and asked how I could avoid this situation again in the future.

They told me I would need to have the merchant (i.e. CGC) document everything on the commercial invoice.  Essentially, CGC needs to write the books were sent to them for appraisal purposes only and were in the U.S. for a brief period of time.  That I owned the books.  To include the initial tracking number I used to send CGC the books. And for CGC to indicate the value of THEIR services (i.e. how much their work cost).  Then the gov't would tax me the appropriate amount based on CGC's services/costs.  Not the entire lot of books value (which is what happened last time around).

Edited by Erndog

2 hours ago, Erndog said:

I actually just spoke with fedex and asked how I could avoid this situation again in the future.

They told me I would need to have the merchant (i.e. CGC) document everything on the commercial invoice.  Essentially, CGC needs to write the books were sent to them for appraisal purposes only and were in the U.S. for a brief period of time.  That I owned the books.  To include the initial tracking number I used to send CGC the books. And for CGC to indicate the value of THEIR services (i.e. how much their work cost).  Then the gov't would tax me the appropriate amount based on CGC's services/costs.  Not the entire lot of books value (which is what happened last time around).

It's not CGC's job to fill out the commercial invoice. It's yours.

You get the commercial invoice from whomever you're shipping from.

Fed Ex has a stand alone commercial invoice, CanadaPost uses the form that you fill out when shipping as a commercial invoice.

You simply write something along the lines of 'being sent for evaluation' and then when CGC returns the shipment, they ship it back with the commercial invoice that accompanied the books on their way day.

@Guardian Comics Jim, is this how you do it too?