• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a year too long for my book to be delivered from Paradise Comics?
7 7

852 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Zevgoli said:

I just got a call from Paradise.  My books are in for pickup.  I will go in tomorrow and give a report.

You should ask when they were sent it and if there was a delay in paying for the books while at cgc or sending them in to cgc... 

Just now, Twistty1 said:

You should ask when they were sent it and if there was a delay in paying for the books while at cgc or sending them in to cgc... 

Do you really think they'd answer that question (or answer it honestly if they did)?

9 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Do you really think they'd answer that question (or answer it honestly if they did)?

I don’t think they will admit to any wrongdoing and you know what I’m not going to ask them.  At this point I just want to go in get my books and get out of there.

Probably not, but maybe they can supply some sort of info on the matter. They did tell me that the books I brought in in April didn't go out until June. Any info may help with some understanding. 

Just now, Zevgoli said:

I don’t think they will admit to any wrongdoing and you know what I’m not going to ask them.  At this point I just want to go in get my books and get out of there.

That was exactly what I did when my books finally arrived. Renos are done now though, so I'm curious why the books are still being delayed.

3 minutes ago, Twistty1 said:

Probably not, but maybe they can supply some sort of info on the matter. They did tell me that the books I brought in in April didn't go out until June. Any info may help with some understanding. 

Peter is well aware of this thread and has actually made an appearance or three (can't remember exactly how many posts he made).  Basically, he threw shade at CGC and said "don't worry, we got this".  Left more questions than it answered.  He's had more than ample opportunity to put all the conjecture to bed, and yet here we are.

41 minutes ago, Zevgoli said:

I just got a call from Paradise.  My books are in for pickup.  I will go in tomorrow and give a report.

I got a call from them as well. However, only two of my books are in. Still waiting on the one I sent to get get pressed. They said that would come in on the next shipment, whenever that is. 

38 minutes ago, Twistty1 said:

Maybe it's a matter of perspective (considering how long some people have had to wait), but waiting 1.5 to 2 months for your book to be sent in certainly pales in comparison to the fact that the book is sitting at CGC for even longer than that because of unpaid bills.  That's probably where I would focus my attention.

34 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Peter is well aware of this thread and has actually made an appearance or three (can't remember exactly how many posts he made).  Basically, he threw shade at CGC and said "don't worry, we got this".  Left more questions than it answered.  He's had more than ample opportunity to put all the conjecture to bed, and yet here we are.

Paradise last posted when this thread was in the single digits.  It's highly doubtful that they would waste their time reading any additional commentary as it's all negative and doesn't benefit them in any way (since they probably don't care about learning from their mistakes).  Granted, I see their last login was 4/2 so they do still come to the boards to look at something

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Maybe it's a matter of perspective (considering how long some people have had to wait), but waiting 1.5 to 2 months for your book to be sent in certainly pales in comparison to the fact that the book is sitting at CGC for even longer than that because of unpaid bills.  That's probably where I would focus my attention.

Paradise last posted when this thread was in the single digits.  It's highly doubtful that they would waste their time reading any additional commentary as it's all negative and doesn't benefit them in any way (since they probably don't care about learning from their mistakes).  Granted, I see their last login was 4/2 so they do still come to the boards to look at something

You may have missed my earlier post where I said that I also had to wait almost a year for my books with paradise. The only thing that I know that added to that extended wait period, was that delay in sending them out for over a month. I don't know why there was an additional 9 months tacked on after that.

2 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Interesting, did CGC say how long they've had them for?  It is mildly surprising that they would agree to store unpaid books for so many months.  That would seem like added liability and storage cost on their end, and I'm guessing they would prefer not to have either on their ledger.  hm

During the whole Jason Ewart affair, Doug Schell claimed CGC was holding books of his that were both unpaid and uninvolved.

I'm not defending the LCS, but  there's literally no point to answering any questions about what the issues were and who is at fault or why at this time.  None of the answers will be satisfactory, and some of them may even be actionable from a legal or criminal perspective.  At this point they should just try to lay low, be vague, and get the books back as fast as possible to the people banging the drums the loudest.  If I was them, I would focus on what is being done to get the books back to the customers, which seems more or less like what they're doing now, or at least mostly trying to.

Would you rather admit to laziness, incompetence, losing the books for a while, using the money for something else, internal disagreements?  Nothing will make up for what has happened.  They should just be happy to get out of it without any civil or criminal action, and then start working on rebuilding community trust (if possible).  Being defensive and overly emotional often traps you into certain misstatements or outbursts that might be used against you later on.

6 minutes ago, Twistty1 said:

The only thing that I know that added to that extended wait period, was that delay in sending them out for over a month. I don't know why there was an additional 9 months tacked on after that.

I guess at that point the difference is waiting 10 months to get your books back (had your books been properly dropped off in April) instead of a year.  Still an egregious amount of time, and again, I would be more concerned about the extra 8-10 months that my book was sitting in Sarasota without any updates or notifications being provided to you, the customer.

5 minutes ago, shadroch said:

During the whole Jason Ewart affair, Doug Schell claimed CGC was holding books of his that were both unpaid and uninvolved.

I had to read the cliff notes on that reference, but it doesn't seem like an apt comparison.  Ewart was being accused of multiple crimes, and CGC was essentially retaining evidence.  Plus, I don't think it would be possible to flag any of his books as "uninvolved". 

30 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I had to read the cliff notes on that reference, but it doesn't seem like an apt comparison.  Ewart was being accused of multiple crimes, and CGC was essentially retaining evidence.  Plus, I don't think it would be possible to flag any of his books as "uninvolved". 

No, that's not at all accurate. Schell claimed he had a large cache of books CGC was storing and seemingly they invoiced and graded them when they had time. It had nothing to do with holding evidence. Schell claimed it was a complete coincidence that books of his, that ewart had trimmed, happened to be graded the day after CGC warned about ewart trimming, and Doug forgot he had JE work on the books.

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

No, that's not at all accurate. Schell claimed he had a large cache of books CGC was storing and seemingly they invoiced and graded them when they had time. It had nothing to do with holding evidence. Schell claimed it was a complete coincidence that books of his, that ewart had trimmed, happened to be graded the day after CGC warned about ewart trimming, and Doug forgot he had JE work on the books.

Ah, Schmell's books.  Your first post was confusing.

Just got my books back. Two days shy of a year waiting (all blue label). Glad that I can finally walk away from this $#!+ storm. Hopefully everyone else will be out soon too.

Thought I would share one more insightful story of the dealings going on at Paradise.

Last year I asked Peter directly, "can you get a signature for me at a con?" He said no problem, we'll get it done. I thought great, I've had Doug get me Neal Adams and Stan Lee before and didn't give it a second thought. 

Four months later I start wondering if my books are coming back soon, so I call cgc with my invoice number and they have no record of receiving them. 

After a couple weeks of emails, phone calls and thoughts of civil action against Paradise....my books were found... sitting in the basement....unsigned.

They didn't go to the show, they didn't get the signatures, they didn't call me to let me know that they didn't go and the new management (not their fault) didn't even know that my books were there.

So, it wouldn't surprise me if a good chunk of books were sitting in the basement months after they should have been shipped.

I've been going to this shop since high school and it's been a very sad experience dealing with them over the past year.

Best of luck to those still waiting.

2 hours ago, koyama said:

Just got my books back. Two days shy of a year waiting (all blue label). Glad that I can finally walk away from this $#!+ storm. Hopefully everyone else will be out soon too.

Thought I would share one more insightful story of the dealings going on at Paradise.

Last year I asked Peter directly, "can you get a signature for me at a con?" He said no problem, we'll get it done. I thought great, I've had Doug get me Neal Adams and Stan Lee before and didn't give it a second thought. 

Four months later I start wondering if my books are coming back soon, so I call cgc with my invoice number and they have no record of receiving them. 

After a couple weeks of emails, phone calls and thoughts of civil action against Paradise....my books were found... sitting in the basement....unsigned.

They didn't go to the show, they didn't get the signatures, they didn't call me to let me know that they didn't go and the new management (not their fault) didn't even know that my books were there.

So, it wouldn't surprise me if a good chunk of books were sitting in the basement months after they should have been shipped.

I've been going to this shop since high school and it's been a very sad experience dealing with them over the past year.

Best of luck to those still waiting.

The books in the basement are a different order than you just picked up?