• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a year too long for my book to be delivered from Paradise Comics?
7 7

852 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

And thank you for letting us know that by de facto, all of your posts are necessary.

I'm sorry but I have to say your original post was unnecessary.

Saying "this could have been handled better (duh)" but he is a "good guy" and will "straighten it out"  is undermining the impact Paradise customers had to deal with.  Being or knowing someone to be a "good guy' is irrelevant here.  For many and likely many more, this was an outright failure to "do the right thing".   Never mind the fact that they have been SILENT on this thread or even offered up a "real" apology.  The hoops that I and several others (that we know about) had to go through to get our books "straightened out" and for the "right thing" to happen has been a painful process and basically had to be forced out of them, so I am not so sure why you would even bother to post what you did.

If you heard this exact same story from a retailer or another facilitator you did NOT know, would you be coming to "defend" them? 

On 5/14/2018 at 3:47 PM, VintageComics said:

I'm not going to make any excuses or try to justify what you have all gone through. It's unfortunate that it took so much time and effort to get what's owed to you.

I will just say that Peter is known as being a very good person in the near 20 years that I've known him and not a con artist, so whatever the problem was I hope (and think) Pete will straighten it out. I do think it could have been handled more professionally to allay fears but I'm glad that you guys are finally getting your books back.

53 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I'm sorry but I have to say your original post was unnecessary.

Saying "this could have been handled better (duh)" but he is a "good guy" and will "straighten it out"  is undermining the impact Paradise customers had to deal with.  Being or knowing someone to be a "good guy' is irrelevant here.  For many and likely many more, this was an outright failure to "do the right thing".   Never mind the fact that they have been SILENT on this thread or even offered up a "real" apology.  The hoops that I and several others (that we know about) had to go through to get our books "straightened out" and for the "right thing" to happen has been a painful process and basically had to be forced out of them, so I am not so sure why you would even bother to post what you did.

If you heard this exact same story from a retailer or another facilitator you did NOT know, would you be coming to "defend" them? 

You know what I think is unnecessary? People reading into my post something that isn't there. You guys have turned the discussion onto me rather than focus on the point of the thread.

Read my post again (I quoted it above because we're onto another page now).

Where did I defend Paradise? I didn't. I clearly stated that I wasn't defending their actions.

I stated that it's unfortunate that people were having difficulty in dealing with them. I was being empathetic. 

Then I stated my past experiences with Paradise in the hopes that people's fears would be allayed a bit if I stated that I hoped and thought Paradise would straighten it out eventually.

The blood thirsty mob can't be satiated.

Edited by VintageComics

14 hours ago, Transplant said:

This is stupid.  Good guy or not, it's beyond the pale.  The lack of communication is appalling and only compounds the terrible delays and horrific customer service  Who cares if it isn't meant to be outright fraud?  How about, if you've known him for 20 years and feel the need to interject yourself here, you find out why these delays/lost books/etc. instead of just telling the people who were screwed that the guy doing the screwing is a good guy?  Seriously, this post is so unnecessary.  

You know what is stupid? You going around the forum mocking people at your sole discretion using subtle jabs, passive aggressive threads about them and talking about people behind their backs with whomever is left in your little circle.

You only quote me when you have a bone to pick with me but never to say anything positive.

You mock people who post on this forum but don't realize that to some people this might be their only social circle and lifeline to the outside world.

You even mocked someone with a speech impediment due to hearing loss on this forum but you couldn't offer so much as an apology.

As far as contacting Paradise about this problem, I didn't click on the thread until recently and when I made my post I reached out to a friend common to both Peter and he did try to reach out. They are just as difficult to reach for me as they are for the rest of you.

Just put me back on ignore so that you can build your echo chamber just as you like it.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

You know what I think is unnecessary? People reading into my post something that isn't there. You guys have turned the discussion onto me rather than focus on the point of the thread.

Read my post again (I quoted it above because we're onto another page now).

Where did I defend Paradise? I didn't. I clearly stated that I wasn't defending their actions.

I stated that it's unfortunate that people were having difficulty in dealing with them. I was being empathetic. 

Then I stated my past experiences with Paradise in the hopes that people's fears would be allayed a bit if I stated that I hoped and thought Paradise would straighten it out eventually.

The blood thirsty mob can't be satiated.

I have been active here because I was one of those who had to jump through hoops to have things made right by them and in the end it wasn't them that made it right either.

By saying "I will just say that Peter is known as being a very good person in the near 20 years that I've known him and not a con artist, so whatever the problem was I hope (and think) Pete will straighten it out" you are defending them and minimizing what they have (or have not) done to their customers.  The only reason why some are getting their books back has been because of constant pressure. 

Also, your past experiences are not a factor in this discussion, nor were mine. I was a customer for years and they still gave me nothing but the run around and it should not be you to "allay people's fears"...That should be on Paradise.

Yet somehow, because I took issue with you being "empathetic" towards Paradise, I am part of the "bloodthirsty mob"?  :eyeroll: 

I do agree with one thing though and that yes, this thread should just be about the subject of the thread and not turn into a pee pee match.

2 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

By saying "I will just say that Peter is known as being a very good person in the near 20 years that I've known him and not a con artist, so whatever the problem was I hope (and think) Pete will straighten it out" you are defending them and minimizing what they have (or have not) done to their customers. 

Let me get this straight.

You're saying that me saying "I hope (and think) Pete will straighten this out" is defending Paradise and minimizing their wrong behavior? I'm sorry you see it that way. I was trying to reassure people that it hopefully will get resolved and that Pete is not the type to normally rip someone off in my experience.

2 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Yet somehow, because I took issue with you being "empathetic" towards Paradise, I am part of the "bloodthirsty mob"?

That's where you're mistaken. I was not being empathetic with Paradise. I was being empathetic with the people who were having difficulty in dealing with Paradise.

Isn't it amazing how everyone sees something different based on their own perceptions?

Hope you all get your problems resolved to your satisfaction.

Back to the bloodthirsty mob.

14 hours ago, Zevgoli said:

Isn’t it time to put this thread to bed.  Everyone got their books back after a year of delay.

Define “everyone”.  There’s been what, maybe ten victims of Paradise who posted in this thread?  How many more might still be out there?

Furthermore, aren’t you still out a lost book that they never compensated you for?

Edited by mattn792
Mas

On 6/3/2018 at 1:20 PM, VintageComics said:

You know what is stupid? You going around the forum mocking people at your sole discretion using subtle jabs, passive aggressive threads about them and talking about people behind their backs with whomever is left in your little circle.

You only quote me when you have a bone to pick with me but never to say anything positive.

You mock people who post on this forum but don't realize that to some people this might be their only social circle and lifeline to the outside world.

You even mocked someone with a speech impediment due to hearing loss on this forum but you couldn't offer so much as an apology.

As far as contacting Paradise about this problem, I didn't click on the thread until recently and when I made my post I reached out to a friend common to both Peter and he did try to reach out. They are just as difficult to reach for me as they are for the rest of you.

Just put me back on ignore so that you can build your echo chamber just as you like it.

Roy, I think I'm about as tight with Mike as anyone, and the part I bolded simply isn't true.

12 minutes ago, MCMiles said:

Roy, I think I'm about as tight with Mike as anyone, and the part I bolded simply isn't true.

Meh, whatever. I might be wrong but he's still a jerkbutt with many of his posts on this chat forum.

This is fun :) 

I got my books back, so I'm happy. There are others that haven't and I wish them the best of luck. I dropped negative feedback all over the place regarding this store as a warning, so hopefully some people will heed my advice. 

6 hours ago, MCMiles said:

I'm sort of offended that someone would think my jabs are that subtle.  

On 6/3/2018 at 7:10 PM, VintageComics said:

Let me get this straight.

You're saying that me saying "I hope (and think) Pete will straighten this out" is defending Paradise and minimizing their wrong behavior? I'm sorry you see it that way. I was trying to reassure people that it hopefully will get resolved and that Pete is not the type to normally rip someone off in my experience.

That's where you're mistaken. I was not being empathetic with Paradise. I was being empathetic with the people who were having difficulty in dealing with Paradise.

Isn't it amazing how everyone sees something different based on their own perceptions?

Hope you all get your problems resolved to your satisfaction.

Back to the bloodthirsty mob.

Yes, it is interesting how different people see things differently based on their own perceptions and maybe if you eased up on the attitude you could read that I wasn't being rude towards you, I just happened to disagree with why you even bothered to say what you did.

Your past experience means zilch to what has been transpiring here and does nothing to assuage fears, so why bring it up? Paradise had many, many opportunities to make things right and failed to do so and it took intervention from CGC to actually get my books back to me.  Are these the actions of someone you would find respectable? Was Paradise trying to rip me and others off in the traditional sense? I personally doubt that but it is a really crappy way to treat your customers and to this day, many of us still don't know what was *really* going on. I can't say if things have improved as I have not done any business with them since and they may have cleaned up their act or there could be more outstanding cases. Time will tell.

I agree with you that some posts have been uncalled for (which is why I think you made the "bloodthirsty mob" comment) but to lump everyone with a legit complaint or negative experience who posts as part of a "bloodthirsty mob" is a tad over the top. 

Misunderstandings are to be expected as long as Paradise remains mute on the subject. Until they offer an explanation, this subject will remain a mystery. Frankly, it wouldn't make any difference in the world to me if this guy was the nicest person in the world. Remaining silent is bad ... whether Paradise Is blameless or not.

1 hour ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Yes, it is interesting how different people see things differently based on their own perceptions and maybe if you eased up on the attitude you could read that I wasn't being rude towards you, I just happened to disagree with why you even bothered to say what you did.

Your past experience means zilch to what has been transpiring here and does nothing to assuage fears, so why bring it up? Paradise had many, many opportunities to make things right and failed to do so and it took intervention from CGC to actually get my books back to me.  Are these the actions of someone you would find respectable? Was Paradise trying to rip me and others off in the traditional sense? I personally doubt that but it is a really crappy way to treat your customers and to this day, many of us still don't know what was *really* going on. I can't say if things have improved as I have not done any business with them since and they may have cleaned up their act or there could be more outstanding cases. Time will tell.

I agree with you that some posts have been uncalled for (which is why I think you made the "bloodthirsty mob" comment) but to lump everyone with a legit complaint or negative experience who posts as part of a "bloodthirsty mob" is a tad over the top. 

It's hard not to have attitude when you come into a thread, try to empathize with people and reassure them and then are met with attitude first, and told your post is useless and an affront to those who are waiting to hear back from Paradise.

And I'll be the first to admit that I get extra defensive sometimes. Some boardies just have a habit of riding me on these forums me and I get tired of it.

I disagree that past experience means zilch. To me it's an indicator, like a ship's rudder of where a person comes from and what they are like over time.

Of course that doesn't help in the moment. It's unfortunate that customers had to apply so much pressure and that Paradise has been uncommunicative but I stated what I did because it was my belief that eventually I believed everyone would be made whole somehow because whatever is going on with Paradise (and I do not know what the root cause is) I don't know Peter to be a fraud artist.

As I said, I tried to reach out through a common friend (Beyonder, a long time board member who rarely posts here anymore but is long time friends with Peter) to no avail. Unfortunately, I have no news to offer.

And frankly, I thought the bloodthirsty mob comment was somewhat apt as it seemed judging by the reaction I got that if my pitchfork wasn't sharpened and ready I wasn't welcome.

I'm gonna stop replying because this doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I hope you guys are all made whole and I'm sorry you had to go through this.

:foryou:

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

Misunderstandings are to be expected as long as Paradise remains mute on the subject. Until they offer an explanation, this subject will remain a mystery. Frankly, it wouldn't make any difference in the world to me if this guy was the nicest person in the world. Remaining silent is bad ... whether Paradise Is blameless or not.

At this point, I think it makes sense NOT to say anything, because they probably don't have a reasonable answer.  Anything else would probably involve either a lie or some answer that could get them in trouble from a legal perspective, or both.   Right now it should be about what actions have the most benefit going forward, which is making people as whole as possible.  Making a statement publicly would just open another whole can of worms, and possibly be stronger fodder for a lawsuit or criminal complaint.

5 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

Paradise is selling new aprons.... I suggest all of you should check them out on Instagram... Well until Instagram takes them down #paradise.comics

???  I'm guessing the account got hacked.

Edited by ExNihilo