• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a year too long for my book to be delivered from Paradise Comics?
7 7

852 posts in this topic

Wow an email from Peter at Paradise.  I'm guessing CGC was in contact with him today after my complaint...

Sent: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 at 11:35 PM
Subject: Your CGC shipment
Hey Jeff, I am talking with CGC about your invoice. They have located and I am confident it will be in our next shipment that is scheduled on march 29th. I will confirm with you as soon as I know it is included.

Thanks
Peter

24 minutes ago, ComicArtAddict said:

Wow an email from Peter at Paradise.  I'm guessing CGC was in contact with him today after my complaint...

Hey Jeff, I am talking with CGC about your invoice. They have located and I am confident it will be in our next shipment that is scheduled on march 29th. I will confirm with you as soon as I know it is included.

Thanks
Peter

Nice!! Progress!! Now lets see if they email you back or if they even get the books on the 29th (next Thursday).

Just got this from paradise. .....Hi Sal, it has been confirmed today that your CGC order has been verified and is scheduled to ship from CGC on Thursday March 29th. We should receive them on the following Monday and will have them recorded and be calling people on Tuesday.

Thank you for your patience and we will be giving you a call soon. 

Sounds promising. My next issue would be making sure all the books sent back were the actual books I submitted. There are 6 high grade, high value Canadian price variants in the submissions and a great pence variant. Can’t wait to find out if any of them have mysteriously disappeared. 

14 minutes ago, LoveThemSigs said:

If Americans consider comics with Canadian prices to be "variants", do Canadians consider comics with American prices to be "variants"? Why would a Canadian consider comics with Canadian prices to be a "varisnt"?

There are plenty of threads on here describing Canadian price variants and a few good websites offering up more info on the topic if you are interested in finding out about them. ??

36 minutes ago, DonSal1976 said:

Just got this from paradise. .....Hi Sal, it has been confirmed today that your CGC order has been verified and is scheduled to ship from CGC on Thursday March 29th. We should receive them on the following Monday and will have them recorded and be calling people on Tuesday.

Sounds promising. My next issue would be making sure all the books sent back were the actual books I submitted. There are 6 high grade, high value Canadian price variants in the submissions and a great pence variant. Can’t wait to find out if any of them have mysteriously disappeared. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I could easily see some sort of miscommunication leading to either incorrect signatures or a lost book for some poor customer.

2 hours ago, DonSal1976 said:

What you should be looking at is finding out when CGC actually received the books. That would tell a lot, I would think...

9 hours ago, ComicArtAddict said:

Thanks
Peter

To me that response still makes it sound like it is a CGC problem...Not a Paradise problem.  

"Talking with CGC about your invoice.  They have located and I am confident it will be in our next shipment..."

Why did they have to "locate" it?  Was it sitting in a heap of subs from Paradise to be graded pending payment? Was it 'lost' at CGC? When did it get to CGC?

Great you might have it back but still no direct answers as to why your submission took so dang long.

57 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

"Talking with CGC about your invoice.  They have located and I am confident it will be in our next shipment..."

Why did they have to "locate" it?

Yeah, that sounds super sketchy.

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon
greggy is a dork

9 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

To me that response still makes it sound like it is a CGC problem...Not a Paradise problem.  

Why did they have to "locate" it?  Was it sitting in a heap of subs from Paradise to be graded pending payment? Was it 'lost' at CGC? When did it get to CGC?

Great you might have it back but still no direct answers as to why your submission took so dang long.

You sure that's not just Paradise twisting the wording in a way to shift blame away from them?  Based on what others have said, that seems to be the MO.  There seems to have been quite a few people chiming in with similar stories.  Are we to believe that CGC just happened to lose ALL these peoples books?  That's quite a coincidence.

It would be nice if one of the affected customers got the Invoice # and called CGC customer service and asked for the Received/Verified/Graded/etc dates.  That would go a long way in determining (confirming) who's to blame.  If they dropped off the books in store, I'm surprised they weren't given the green copy right then and there and would have the invoice # on hand. 

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

You sure that's not just Paradise twisting the wording in a way to shift blame away from them?  Based on what others have said, that seems to be the MO.  There seems to have been quite a few people chiming in with similar stories.  Are we to believe that CGC just happened to lose ALL these peoples books?  That's quite a coincidence.

It would be nice if one of the affected customers got the Invoice # and called CGC customer service and asked for the Received/Verified/Graded/etc dates.  That would go a long way in determining (confirming) who's to blame.  If they dropped off the books in store, I'm surprised they weren't given the green copy right then and there and would have the invoice # on hand. 

The point of my post was to imply that their (Paradise) wording WAS to shift blame onto CGC and that it was sketchy. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I know this is not a CGC problem. 

2 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

CGC said they would contact me when they had any information on the book. So I called CGC this morning regarsing Peter's email. They said the invoice still doesn't show in their system. But she said the director was going to speak directly to Peter regarding it. Which I'm guessing is why I got the email late last night. The customer service person said that CGC would be putting a rush on it to get it out quickly. She said that CGC hadn't located the book yet.  All of this makes me think it was at Paradise this whole time and not sent to CGC. So I'll learn more when CGC calls in the next few days.

2 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

The point of my post was to imply that their (Paradise) wording WAS to shift blame onto CGC and that it was sketchy. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I know this is not a CGC problem. 

lol, oh ya I read the email the same way from Paradise. If you read all my posts the past few days you'll see I've been getting lots of blame deflecting from Paradise. Which is why I called CGC to verify his email. At this point if I don't hear it from CGC I don't believe it. 

I met Peter at the store many times over the years and he was very personable. I enjoyed chatting with him and Doug when I stopped in to drop off or pick up books. I'm sad it came to this. Seems like his right hand man Doug leaving has really shaken the place. If I was him I'd do all I could to get him back and repair the client relationships. I did like Peter but after this I will never set foot in that store again. I don't care if Steve Ditko is brought back to life for one in store appearance.

I've heard rumors from close sources of some personal things that have gone down the past year. Not really my place to share. But I figured since I was having such a hard time with my submission (and I'm not one to back down) I'd share my ongoing story with you guys.  Hopefully it will help someone who feels helpless on what to do.

Sounds a bit like a Ponzi scheme.

Collecting money from many promising a service or good.  Use that money for other interests and fulfill only a small percentage of those contracts,  Over time you are then unable to satisfy the demands of those you have obligations to nor do you have the financial means to make it right until the pressure becomes so great and there is no plausible way out of the mess that has been created and the bubble bursts..

Patience is not a virtue if this is in fact what is going on.  You don't want to be the one with nooks in their possession or at CGC under their account when that bubble does in fact burst. 

There was a pic posted previously from their social media account with a large number of books "supposedly" on their way to CGC.  If financial trouble are the root of this there are going to be a lot of people left exposed. 

Think about it.  If these books have been in their possession for 8-12 months and every month they continue to take in money AND books for submission to CGC this could be a significant amount of money and market value in books that we are talking about here.

Hoping for a resolution for all those involved. 

42 minutes ago, ComicArtAddict said:

I did like Peter but after this I will never set foot in that store again. I don't care if Steve Ditko is brought back to life for one in store appearance.

Steve Ditko is still alive.  :gossip: