• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a year too long for my book to be delivered from Paradise Comics?
7 7

852 posts in this topic

Email to Peter today:

Hi Peter,

Since you have not replied today as you said you would.  I am going to call CGC on Monday and raise this whole issue with them along with the lengthy thread on the CGC boards.  I understand others have already called and CGC is assisting them in this matter.

I have been a loyal customer of yours for several years and I feel personally insulted by your treatment of me and others patiently awaiting their books.  The time for excuses is over and concrete action needs to be taken.  I am sorry it has come to this.

Thanks, Howard 

1 hour ago, Zevgoli said:

Email to Peter today:

Hi Peter,

Since you have not replied today as you said you would.  I am going to call CGC on Monday and raise this whole issue with them along with the lengthy thread on the CGC boards.  I understand others have already called and CGC is assisting them in this matter.

I have been a loyal customer of yours for several years and I feel personally insulted by your treatment of me and others patiently awaiting their books.  The time for excuses is over and concrete action needs to be taken.  I am sorry it has come to this.

Thanks, Howard 

Or you could just go to the store and actually get this resolved.

21 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Email to Peter today:

Hi Peter,

Thanks, Howard 

Or you could just go to the store and actually get this resolved.

I think he mentioned it was more than an hour away.  Although it's been a loooonggg time to not have valuable books.  I think as an American, to me a lot of this seems like a stereotypical case of Canadians being too nice or polite.  But I think the breaking point is coming.

56 minutes ago, revat said:

I think he mentioned it was more than an hour away.  Although it's been a loooonggg time to not have valuable books.  I think as an American, to me a lot of this seems like a stereotypical case of Canadians being too nice or polite.  But I think the breaking point is coming.

I am aware of that, but the calendar tells me its the weekend. Phone calls and emails can be ignored. A face to face cannot. 

2 hours ago, darkstar said:

I am aware of that, but the calendar tells me its the weekend. Phone calls and emails can be ignored. A face to face cannot. 

As I mentioned earlier Peter is not always in the store and he is the only one that can do something.  Yes I am an hour away from the store so I can’t drop in every few hours to check if he is there.

Someone should start a list of the members on here missing books, how many books were submitted through paradise and when they were submitted to paradise.  If you guys go in force to CGC saying on the boards alone X have missing books dating back to 20XX and over Y books are missing.

8 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Someone should start a list of the members on here missing books, how many books were submitted through paradise and when they were submitted to paradise.

Take the ball and run with it! 

45 minutes ago, Zevgoli said:

As I mentioned earlier Peter is not always in the store and he is the only one that can do something.  Yes I am an hour away from the store so I can’t drop in every few hours to check if he is there.

Which is why you should have gotten the police or a lawyer involved months ago. You understand the idea that a business having taken hundreds or thousands of dollars in money from you for services not yet rendered in addition to possessing your property turning you away at any time is absurd, yes? There is no acceptable "oh you will have to check back with us at another time" instance under these circumstances. You have to personally confront these people and refuse to leave until you are either reimbursed and your property is returned or you are shown proof that the services you paid for are in the process of being provided with visual confirmation. Anything else is a total waste of time, just as it was when this thread was started two months ago.

11 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Which is why you should have gotten the police or a lawyer involved months ago. You understand the idea that a business having taken hundreds or thousands of dollars in money from you for services not yet rendered in addition to possessing your property turning you away at any time is absurd, yes? There is no acceptable "oh you will have to check back with us at another time" instance under these circumstances. You have to personally confront these people and refuse to leave until you are either reimbursed and your property is returned or you are shown proof that the services you paid for are in the process of being provided with visual confirmation. Anything else is a total waste of time, just as it was when this thread was started two months ago.

Getting a lawyer involved is ridiculous because I will end up spending more than the books are worth and Peter knows that.  The police will just refer me to a lawyer.

3 hours ago, darkstar said:

Everyone should be CALLING CGC - make sure to ask exactly who you are speaking with. State dates and invoice numbers. RECORD ALL ANSWERS - make sure the person on the other line knows you are writing every detail down.

If the 1st per person online cannot really help you - ask to speak to a manager. Do the same thing ( record exactly who they are and what they say) --- state specifically that you have tried to contact paradise and they have not given any information. If they do not give you any information - ask to speak to a manager of their registered dealers.  You are looking for an answer as to when the books were submitted. 

As far as the shop   - ask specifically WHEN "peter" will be in the shop. Make sure to schedule a phone call - do not accept " he will call you this weekend"  - get a commitment that he will be in the store on "friday" and call you back then ( or whatever) - keep hitting CGC too - do not simply email - CALL CALL CALL AND MAKE SURE TO RECORD ALL INFORMATION. 

In the US - with only limited recorded contact - you could take them to small claims court pretty quick after multiple refusals of contact.

22 minutes ago, Zevgoli said:

Getting a lawyer involved is ridiculous because I will end up spending more than the books are worth and Peter knows that.  The police will just refer me to a lawyer.

What do you think you’ll have to do if Paradise goes south before any of this is resolved?  Unless CGC has your books, they can’t help you.  And even then, you may still end up out of pocket just to get your books back as is, much less graded.  And what are they going to do about Paradise?  Revoke them as an authorized facilitator?  Not much effect if they’re already out of business.

The suggestion of everyone who has been wronged by a Paradise combining their notes and acting together is a good one.  If say 75 customers approach the police or a civil lawyer with documented proof of say $25,000 in missing merchandise and unfulfilled services, that is going to get attention.

10 hours ago, Zevgoli said:

Not that it matters, but you have been conversing on the Boards for over 3 hours. So there is that. A drive will do you good. Take some coffee and a munchie and go sit at the location. If you have to sit all day, fine. Or, you could telephone with a cheerful voice and attitude and identify yourself as rumpelstilsken or whatever and ask if Pete/er/ie is there I want to get an idea of a price for xyz, and when the just a minute answer comes, pounce. Self reliance on solving YOUR problem is a good thing. I can't count the number of times I have staked out a person to settle a business issue. It is good for the soul, and builds character.

An hour away?lol I have driven 6-1/2 hours to get a person to explain face to face. Always bring a strong response with you, in the form of a small claims court filing or a letter addressed to the individual from your attorney.

How in heck would you know if the person is in the store or not if you won't drive an hour to find out. if you call of course he won't answer if he is trying to avoid you.....thus the hook call suggestion.I'm sure you can resolve this with some determined action.

11 hours ago, Zevgoli said:

Actually getting a lawyer involved and giving the appearance that a lawyer is getting involved are two entirely different things.  

I'm feeling fully vested here now and check in, some times on my iPhone, to see if this instance(s) of stealing and lying has been resolved (do we have a CGC Boards app yet? Can I get it in the Apple store?).

Everyone needs to swarm and descend on this store TOGETHER and bring about action. Picketing might be a good idea but this lying and outright thievery has to stop. The internet is not a good place to do this other than to gather the necessary peeps. Don't let this BS go on any longer. Do we have a lawyer who will donate his time? Get enough people together and you'll get media attention (byline: "Hulk sad with Paradise after thousands of $$ in comics go missing!") and this will force them to act. Hitting them in the pocketbook will do more than these board activities. Sadly it does not appear that polite inquiries via email, phone or fax are going to get this done any longer. If people here are having troubles that probably means there are many more victims involved.

I'm surprised by this whole situation, but even more surprised Peter hasn't moved to compensate these people. Like everyone, I'm not aware of all the circumstances, but this is inexcusable and rapidly approaching a reputation destroying scenario. I've always been impressed by Pete and his crew. I sincerely hope my faith wasn't misplaced.

Anyone reading this thread should be hesitant about dropping their books off at their local  shop, and CGC can't be happy about it.

CGC can not be happy that their customers are being abused like this. If only there was something they could do about it.

If I understand this,  people paid upfront to get their books graded and either Paradise sat on the books and didn't ship them or sent them to CGC without paying them.

At a minimum, CGC and others should put a moratorium on accepting new submissions.