• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gerber Photo-Journal - comic survival rates (and 2018 CGC Census)

37 posts in this topic

Does anyone have their Gerber Photo-Journal handy?  Mine's packed away somewhere.  I'd like to compare the CGC Census numbers to the comic survival rates that were estimated in the beginning pages of the photo-journals (if I'm remembering correctly).

Edited by valiantman

1 minute ago, Scrooge said:

Yes. I thought it was weird as a scale but you are reading them correctly.

Right, it's a "violation" of good practice for graphing, but it is what it is.  We are talking about a serious approach to documenting funny books. :grin:

18 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

Gerber Survival Rates.jpg

Wow - that drop from '54 to '62 is staggering. Not that the increase from '38 to '44 (another 8 year window) is any less impressive.

If we updated this to modern times, would the "Total Comic Books Published per Month" continue to flatline? Or was there another decline after the '90's implosion that would drop us below levels last seen in '37?

I know from your other graphs that a large percentage of slabbed books are modern - you thinkin' of trying to merge the two data sets?

-bc

2 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Gerber Survival Rates.jpg

I have corrected the vertical bars to make them standard, rather than "squished" with 2% on the bottom two bars and 25% on the top two bars in the Gerber original, now every orange bar is 10%, every gray bar is 5,000,000 comics.

gerber_estimates6.png

Edited by valiantman

44 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Interesting that this is not your normal supply and projected demand graph. Did Gerber select Amaz Fant #15 (1962) as the nexus of enough supply surviving from the lower (: end of title print run?

As I recall the estimated distribution of AF #15 was somewhere between 100,000 and 130,000 copies.  If it had the projected10% survival rate charted, that would mean in excess of 10,000 copies still exist. 

Superman sold over 800,000 copies of each issue at this time according to Comichron,  meaning there should be on average around 80,000 copies of each issue still floating around, and the average distribution is put at 300,000, meaning 30,000 copies. These numbers indicate that early 60s books are about as common as books from the last couple of decades, though obviously  not in the same grades. 

If this chart is at all accurate, the number of surviving issues of late 1960s Spiderman issues, should be about 4X the total print runs currently being published. 

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

Interesting that this is not your normal supply and projected demand graph. Did Gerber select Amaz Fant #15 (1962) as the nexus of enough supply surviving from the lower (: end of title print run?

I think Gerber is using the "rise of Marvel" in 1962 with readers who kept those early issues as a turning point for survival, with 1965 and 1967 having even more collectors putting their copies back.

19 hours ago, valiantman said:

I have corrected the vertical bars to make them standard, rather than "squished" with 2% on the bottom two bars and 25% on the top two bars in the Gerber original, now every orange bar is 10%, every gray bar is 5,000,000 comics.

gerber_estimates6.png

If you "do the math" from these 1990 estimates, you multiply the monthly amount times 12 to get annual published, then you multiply the annual published total by the estimated percentage still existing.

The result looks like this:

gerber_estimates_remaining.png

Throw the CGC Census (as of 2018) on there and see what we get...

gerber_estimates_remaining_and_cgc.png

Obviously, the CGC Census isn't a perfect reflection on what exists... it's a reflection of what exists, is slab-worthy, and has already been sent to CGC for slabbing.

I need to add the "key" - light green is CGC Census (and the right side numbers are CGC Census), blue is the Gerber Estimate (and left side numbers are Gerber).

Edited by valiantman

gerber_estimates_remaining_and_cgc1.png

(same graphic as above, with the color coding explanation included on the graphic)

Note that we're looking at millions in blue and ten-thousands in light green... so the number of "slabbed copies" in 2018 is about 0.07% (for 1956) to 5.68% (for 1940) of the Gerber estimated surviving books in 1990.

Edited by valiantman

20 hours ago, bc said:

Wow - that drop from '54 to '62 is staggering. Not that the increase from '38 to '44 (another 8 year window) is any less impressive.

If we updated this to modern times, would the "Total Comic Books Published per Month" continue to flatline? Or was there another decline after the '90's implosion that would drop us below levels last seen in '37?

I know from your other graphs that a large percentage of slabbed books are modern - you thinkin' of trying to merge the two data sets?

-bc

Be interesting to see what fraction of the falling number of comics printed in the late 1950s were Dells.  I would guess it would have been very high -- 50% maybe? hm

I believe that there are individual books that are "skewing" the numbers for certain years, for example, 1974 has a spike for the CGC census because of Hulk #181.  I may try to remove the top book outliers to see if the trend for CGC slabbing (apart from obvious big books) is a closer match to the pattern Gerber predicted for 1990 survival.

EDIT:  It does make a difference for the mid-1970s, but overall, it's not a big difference.

gerber_estimates_remaining_and_cgc1m.png

Edited by valiantman