• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batavia, NY auction
1 1

91 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

This room looks like it smells like cigarettes, cats, dirty hair, and desperation. I really don't know how you guys do this stuff.  

Oh, believe me, I've been in FAR worse than that in the pursuit of fine junk. Dusty attics, Dark, damp basements, dirty garages and filthy barns with raccoon poop. All it takes is one of those cool Coke signs, a box of cool old toys or that forgotton box of comics and it's all worth it.... That's usually where the "good stuff" is.

Hey, is it any worse than standing next to some stinky, sweaty fanboy at a long box?

Edited by Robot Man

3 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

tenor (1).gif

8 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Hey, is it any worse than standing next to some stinky, sweaty fanboy at a long box?

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:19 AM, The Resurrection said:
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:27 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

IMG_20180127_094728851_HDR.thumb.jpg.b2ef02ac512b9161c5297f84d637ddad.jpg

This room looks like it smells like cigarettes, cats, dirty hair, and desperation. I really don't know how you guys do this stuff.

After seeing the memefest I had to pan back to see what photo this quote referred to. Compared to some of the places I have looked at collections in, this room looks like a surgical suite.

2 hours ago, mysterio said:

After seeing the memefest I had to pan back to see what photo this quote referred to. Compared to some of the places I have looked at collections in, this room looks like a surgical suite.

Man, I want that Coke sign! Little auctions like that often produce some cool stuff depending on the bidders in the room and if they are not online. I've been to a few great farm auctions where they auction off everything there. 

19 hours ago, mysterio said:

Agree, 100%.  I've been to rural estate auctions in barns infested with biting deerflies. 

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:36 PM, Robot Man said:

Man, I want that Coke sign! Little auctions like that often produce some cool stuff depending on the bidders in the room and if they are not online. I've been to a few great farm auctions where they auction off everything there. 

I went to a little auction house once for a very similar Coke sign thinking maybe, just maybe, it would fly under the radar. It sold for $5900.  :sorry:

I’m not a big player here on these boards but I have purchased a lot of stuff from the forums and a lot of my ASM run has come from here. 

I was the victim of purchasing this book. Thank god for these boards or I never would have known until I sent it into CGC and that would’ve been terrible. The situation is a convoluted mess so bear with me for the story. The book passed through three hands before getting to me. 

Let me just say that this #1 was one of three books that I needed to complete my ASM run. I had opportunities to buy some copies recently but I really thought that this would have a chance of a 4.0-4.5 after a press so I was willing to overpay for my Ultimate Grail.  I traded my 5.0 Tec 359, Raw GSX VF-, plus the most cash I’ve ever spent on a comic to be able to acquire it. 

The jerk who purchased it from the auction was in Rochester and sold it to a guy as unrestored. A local dealer I have worked with for years was keeping an eye out for a copy for me and he was really great friends with this guy. He didn’t want to give up the ASM 1 but he ended up trading an AF15 & The ASM 1 to the local dealer for a Hulk 1 4.0. I ended up buy the copy from the local dealer. 

I asked about resto and looked it over myself but I was only looking for bleeding through the cover and tear seals. I didn’t catch it and it ended up being the most expensive mistake of my comic buying career. At the end of the day it’s on me to be more informed as a buyer. It really sucks but I have a great friend who is attempting to remove the resto from the book. It will definitely plummet the grade but at this point I’m just hoping for a blue label. 

If you’re still reading, thanks for listening. It’s been an incredibly tough week because of this. Live and you learn I guess. It’s just incredibly disappointing that it happened with my grail. 

8 minutes ago, aznfevr said:

I’m not a big player here on these boards but I have purchased a lot of stuff from the forums and a lot of my ASM run has come from here. 

I was the victim of purchasing this book. Thank god for these boards or I never would have known until I sent it into CGC and that would’ve been terrible. The situation is a convoluted mess so bear with me for the story. The book passed through three hands before getting to me. 

Let me just say that this #1 was one of three books that I needed to complete my ASM run. I had opportunities to buy some copies recently but I really thought that this would have a chance of a 4.0-4.5 after a press so I was willing to overpay for my Ultimate Grail.  I traded my 5.0 Tec 359, Raw GSX VF-, plus the most cash I’ve ever spent on a comic to be able to acquire it. 

The jerk who purchased it from the auction was in Rochester and sold it to a guy as unrestored. A local dealer I have worked with for years was keeping an eye out for a copy for me and he was really great friends with this guy. He didn’t want to give up the ASM 1 but he ended up trading an AF15 & The ASM 1 to the local dealer for a Hulk 1 4.0. I ended up buy the copy from the local dealer. 

I asked about resto and looked it over myself but I was only looking for bleeding through the cover and tear seals. I didn’t catch it and it ended up being the most expensive mistake of my comic buying career. At the end of the day it’s on me to be more informed as a buyer. It really sucks but I have a great friend who is attempting to remove the resto from the book. It will definitely plummet the grade but at this point I’m just hoping for a blue label. 

If you’re still reading, thanks for listening. It’s been an incredibly tough week because of this. Live and you learn I guess. It’s just incredibly disappointing that it happened with my grail. 

That's tough. Sorry to hear that. Hope the grade deduction won't be too bad :wishluck:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM