• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Love note from Photobucket
3 3

25 posts in this topic

Hello Mike,

We would like to offer a tailored plan for users just like you - our Premium plan for $99.99 / year.

The Premium plan will provide 3rd party hosting for non-commercial use on your forums, blogs, and personal websites*. Additionally, you will be able to store up to 300,000 photos.

We are working on some exciting changes for 2018. This is our exclusive introductory price and this offer will expire in 7 days.

Thank you very much for your continued support.

-Sebastian

45 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

How are these guys still floating?

It looks like they're willing to start cutting deals in an effort to stay afloat longer...., 

:cool:

31 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I'm done too. Looks like a desperate move. This plan was $300. more a few months ago when they were playing hardball. Good riddiance...

I might stay with another price drop - I'm already paying something like $40 a year, and if I don't have to move all my carp....., 

My view is just a microcosm of the overall picture, but they absolutely decimated a number of important threads that detailed painstaking individual research and documentation just in a couple of collectibles fields I frequent, then grossly overestimated the ransom people were willing to pay to get those images reinstated. I mean, to go from free to $300 is nuts. Nuts. I realize it probably got out of control quickly, but it's incredibly difficult to take liberties away from people once they've become accustomed to them. To not understand that is to outright ignore human nature. To me, it's just been a terrible, terrible PR move on their part and I'm surprised they're still able to manage at all (maybe gettin' by on some of that photo mug money).

A shrewd planner would have accepted that the 3rd-party use was too widespread to not cause mass photo-genocide and grandfathered in all photos posted before the announcement with the proviso that, going forward, 3rd-party site sharing for new images would not be allowed without paying a reasonable amount of money. An entry-level price of $20 a year I can see and you'd have thousands more that could accept that small amount out of their budget. For the casual use of sharing information such as occurs on these boards, even $99 a year is crazy, especially when you have competition. That equates to a one-year subscription to Netflix -- that's how they're valuing their service. Which one to you is a better stretch of your $100? As Johnny Lydon sang, if this was a piece of cake then you took too big a slice.

Also, kudos to CGC for bypassing this by hosting images on the site directly. Seriously big :golfclap:

46 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Also, kudos to CGC for bypassing this by hosting images on the site directly. Seriously big :golfclap:

Who do you think is paying for that?  :D

I didn’t get that email from photobucket. Anyhow it doesn’t matter, their offer of $300 and now their $99 offer ... it still is no good. 

Times has changed, many of us had moved on to other hosting sites. Photobucket already shot their foot when they come up with that nutty prices. Their problem, not ours.  meh

I communicated with PB when their price increased "slightly," and they basically told me to go, ahem, 'f myself. Perhaps I'll communicate with them again.

14 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I might stay with another price drop - I'm already paying something like $40 a year, and if I don't have to move all my carp....., 

Me, too. I have too many vacation pictures to move and I'm "grandfathered" in till Oct. However, I've slowly been putting my stuff on dropbox, my husband pays for that anyway for his business, and if the price does not go down, I'll spend Sept moving the rest.

This was a dumb move on their part, if they had just said $99 to begin with, I probably would have grimaced, but done it. The $399 was just insulting.

I did not receive an email like that. I would jump on it as I am already paying that much. I have been paying for my Photobucket accounts for over 2 years. They lose me at $400, $300 or whatever they were going to ask. At $100 a year I stay. Hope they contact me with that offer....something tells me they won't. :facepalm:

Just now, Artboy99 said:

I did not receive an email like that. I would jump on it as I am already paying that much. I have been paying for my Photobucket accounts for over 2 years. They lose me at $400, $300 or whatever they were going to ask. At $100 a year I stay. Hope they contact me with that offer....something tells me they won't. :facepalm:

I haven't gotten it either, I'm just speculating. I've been paying for at least 7 years.