• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Verification Authority (CVA) ?!?!?!
2 2

219 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mattn792 said:

CGC does the heavy lifting, CVA takes two minutes and says "Yep, looks good to me.  Sticker that sucker!" 

Great scam if you can profit from it.

Boom, that's the bottom line. Everything else is just so much noise...typical though.

1 hour ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

OK.

Not trying to start a fight or be entirely without humor.  I'm actually curious about the point made by RMA and am trying to avoid digressions.  It seems a presser would want books that don't present well, to upgrade (e.g., unpressed books where they can be straightened, etc.).  To want books that do present well (e.g. straight, centered, etc.)  just doesn't seem like the right desire.  But, I have no knowledge on this topic.

Edited by sfcityduck

11 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

If CVA had the reputation CAC does, I could see where it would have some value.  Especially when purchasing books online from scans.  

The main thing I can surmise from reading about CAC is that it appears comic book collectors are much more intelligent than coinees lol

54 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Not trying to start a fight or be entirely without humor.  I'm actually curious about the point made by RMA and am trying to avoid digressions.  It seems a presser would want books that don't present well, to upgrade (e.g., unpressed books where they can be straightened, etc.).  To want books that do present well (e.g. straight, centered, etc.)  just doesn't seem like the right desire.  But, I have no knowledge on this topic.

When dealing in the uber high grades, I think the best candidates for pressing have a light fold that can sometimes only be seen by looking at the book at an angle. Usually a fugly, overgraded book is not a good candidate for pressing.  The presence of a CVA sticker on a Clink book gives me confidence that the back cover is okay. Also, I hate rusty staples, even slightly rusted. Often, the staple is on the vertex or the BC and not visible in the scan. Again, the CVA sticker gives me confidence that the staples are okay. I don't bid on the book because of the sticker but it certainly doesn't hurt to be there. Every book I ever won with a CVA sticker looked excellent in hand. If others don't like it, so be it. There's a lot worse going on with comics these days, scamming wise, than a silly sticker.

5 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I'm going to laugh about turd stickers all week.Maybe longer.

Is it possible to persuade you to provide a video link ? :busy: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

19 hours ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

The Market. And the market has certainly said something in the historical Model we can examine known as CAC.

And the market has spoken. With the exception of comiclink, CVA is used by virtually no one in the hobby. As for Clink, the guy who started CVA, Tomis, used to work for them. Beyond that, Clink is the rare internet selling venue that doesn’t provide back cover scans. Without them, prospective buyers probably benefit from the opinion of someone who has like CVA.  Bomber-Bob has expressed already that he does.

CVA has been around for years now, and still hasn’t made inroads beyond their business with the one major comic seller that doesn't routinely provide back cover scans.

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

And the market has spoken. With the exception of comiclink, CVA is used by virtually no one in the hobby. As for Clink, the guy who started CVA, Tomis, used to work for them. Beyond that, Clink is the rare internet selling venue that doesn’t provide back cover scans. Without them, prospective buyers probably benefit from the opinion of someone who has like CVA.  Bomber-Bob has expressed already that he does.

CVA has been around for years now, and still hasn’t made inroads beyond their business with the one major comic seller that doesn't routinely provide back cover scans.

If Clink provided back cover scans the need for CVA for some would disappear.

I give CVA credit for trying, but I think comic book collectors in general are too smart to fall for that money grab.

6 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Is it possible to persuade you to provide a video link ? :busy: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

The VHS tapes in the camera only hold so much time,and you know how expensive shipping is from up here! :D

8 hours ago, Logan510 said:

If Clink provided back cover scans the need for CVA for some would disappear.

I give CVA credit for trying, but I think comic book collectors in general are too smart to fall for that money grab.

they do upon request once the auction starts and they are clear high resolution scans like heritage. but that cva sticker holds no weight. I saw a better example of a copy in the same auction. I will always ask for a back cover scan regardless of that silly sticker.

now if they came out with CPUA sticker for Certified Pressable & Upgradable Authority stickers then I might pay attention but that would have to come from someone like Joeypost, Hero Restoration or CCS with a guarantee of at least a .5 grade bump.