• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Verification Authority (CVA) ?!?!?!
2 2

219 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

PCGS thought it could do so,also. Fail......

There are a lot of people who complain about people "trying to pass their opinion off as fact" and "so and so thinks they're always right!", but who then make blanket statements themselves like "CGC could put them out of business overnight!", without a stitch of understanding as to why that's probably not true, and how the far, far more powerful and wealthy PCGS and NGC tried to do that with CAC...

...and failed.

The question is still open. It may work. It may not. 

But history tells us it has before, and whither coins go, comics have followed so far.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

13 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

...can you point out the differences in these coins?

No.  Know why?  I don't collect coins, I spend them.  I don't try to grade coins, they sit in my pocket until I spend them.

If the coin community likes their added stickers, good for them.  I'm not qualified to comment on that hobby, and will make no attempt to do so. 

I will, however, maintain my position that CVA's existence serves absolutely no purpose.

3 hours ago, jason4 said:

Wait so what happens if you give them a “weak” 9.8? You get a turd sticker on your slab? You just wasted your money and you can just take it off and no one would ever know. What’s the point? I don’t get it.

lol

Yes, there IS the problem of an overgraded book. Thus far, no one has bothered to address that particular elephant in the room, nor will they. ;)

"Turd sticker".... lol

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

No.  Know why?  I don't collect coins, I spend them.  I don't try to grade coins, they sit in my pocket until I spend them.

If the coin community likes their added stickers, good for them.  I'm not qualified to comment on that hobby, and will make no attempt to do so. 

I will, however, maintain my position that CVA's existence serves absolutely no purpose.

Thus endeth the attempted Lesson.

55 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

No doubt, but could you imagine the chaos that would ensue?  "This isn't a 9.8 weak!!!"  "Why isn't my 9.6 strong a 9.8?!?"  "This 9.8 extra strong should be a 9.9!!!"  "Secrets and Lies!!!!!!"  The level of whining at your average con would go through the stratosphere.

That’s why some people are pushing for 9.5 and 9.7... anything to squeeze a little more coin out of their customers I guess.

11 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Comics aren’t coins 2c

Economics is economics. Human nature to seek assurance is the same. 

Just now, WoWitHurts said:
4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I take it you're unfamiliar with who owns CGC, then, and how it got its start...?

I am familiar with who started it. You cannot state as fact something which is unprovable.

True. You cannot state as fact something which is unprovable.

Of course, my statement is perfectly provable.

Let's give a short history lesson:

In the early 80s, the explosion of value in coins required a much more rigorous coin grading system. The Professional Coin Grading Service..."PCGS"...was created by David Hall and others in 1986. In response, NGC was founded by John Albanese in 1987, to great success.

The company which eventually became the Certified Collectibles Group began with that very same NGC, and was created in 1999 as an umbrella corp with the addition of CGC. 

CGC could not have existed without NGC. NGC came first. It was NGC that provided the support for CGC to exist, when it was unclear if the venture could work.

Therefore...CGC would not exist without numismatics.

10 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

um no. History is numismatics exist. To say that no one would have created CGC without numismatics is unknowable.

OK. I don't know what "History is numismatics exist" is referring to, but no problem. You win, though. The "um" won me to your logic posit as the correct conclusion.

12 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:
15 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Actually, we do. It is history. 

um no. History is numismatics exist. To say that no one would have created CGC without numismatics is unknowable.

Nobody said anything like that. 

CGC would not exist without numismatics. 

Whether something LIKE CGC could have existed without numismatics is unknowable.

But the answer is almost certainly "no."

3 minutes ago, StandUpAndBeCounted said:

Yeah, that's why we can't allow this to happen, we have to put a stop to it wherever it rears it's ugly head. Coinees go home! Coinees out of Comics!

lol I hope this isn't Stu....it may be a long couple of days........

51 minutes ago, mattn792 said:
1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

...can you point out the differences in these coins?

No

Correct.

And yet...they exist, apparently, because that's how NGC graded them. 

No one requires you to care about coins. The discussion isn't about coins. It's about a concept, which is universal, which McKnowitall already stated: 

22 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Human nature to seek assurance is the same. 

Thus endeth the lesson.