• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which key issues that are currently undervalued in your opinion?
8 8

278 posts in this topic

CC, I'm curious. Care to explain your enthusiasm for Star Wars 1? Are you talking about the 35-cent variant or the regular edition?  

It seems to me like there's tons of copies out there, and it's cooled down from the speculative frenzy surrounding Force Awakens.

37 minutes ago, MisterX said:

CC, I'm curious. Care to explain your enthusiasm for Star Wars 1? Are you talking about the 35-cent variant or the regular edition?  

It seems to me like there's tons of copies out there, and it's cooled down from the speculative frenzy surrounding Force Awakens.

Both.

I just think the new Star Wars movies,especially the Han Solo movie will keep up the interest.

I wouldn't use Last Jedi as a barometer.

We all know the final chapter in the Skywalker saga episode 9 should be much anticipated.  Abrams is coming back to direct that one and not the same guy who directed Last Jedi.

This might actually be a good time to buy some of the Star Wars keys on the dip.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 2/17/2018 at 7:14 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

This might actually be a good time to buy some of the Star Wars keys on the dip.

Star Wars #2... first appearances of Obi-Wan, Han Solo, Chewbacca... they don't appear inside Star Wars #1.  As far as Star Wars keys go, #2 should be #2. lol

On 2/16/2018 at 9:05 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

The blue chips

HULK #181

ASM #129

Marvel Spotlight #5

Conan #1

Star Wars #1

Not talking about volatile CGC 9.8s

Talking about lower grades haven't hit their peaks yet.

Comeback and look at this in 5 years and you will see what I mean.

If you need to wait five years on key books to see a return, they aren't currently undervalued.

On 2/10/2018 at 8:45 AM, boomtown said:
On 2/10/2018 at 7:52 AM, 1Cool said:

I'm always shocked how cheap Marvel Team Up 65 is.  2 first appearances (US at least) and I can see both character popping at one point in the future. 

That Byrne run on Marvel Team-Up is cheap and had a bunch of noteworthy stuff. Cap Britain, Arcade, Daughters of the Dragon (1st in comic form), the Warlock book with the Gardener and Infinity stones. Really nice under rated run.

It has fallen out of Vogue the last few years. I dont' think very much stuff in Bronze is undervalued, but these books I would agree are.

If anything currently I think buyers are overpaying on alot of books in Bronze. Obscure 1st appearances of Nobodies are the way to go in Bronze.

20 hours ago, darkstar said:

6 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

What's your criteria then?

Month? 6 months? a year?

What books do you think are undervalued?

I hear you on Spotlight 5. A VG copy just old for only $100. Slight marvel chipping on the side though....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-SPOTLIGHT-5-VG-4-0-1st-GHOST-RIDER-1972-/352273688706?hash=item520525e882%3Ag%3APs0AAOSweLBaeKAT&nma=true&si=JQGJ0MqbdL8c%2FVDTErsikzu%2F6BU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

18 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Ben and Han both appear on the cover of 1, though.

True, in the background. Even if you grant #1 a "full appearance" for Ben and Han (which is stretching it... we don't know anything about them from #1), Star Wars #2 is absolutely the first Chewbacca... the only non-droid household name character in Episodes I through VIII.  It's also the first Millenium Falcon, which is probably more important to Star Wars than any other vehicle in comics (including the Batmobile). :grin:

8 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

What's your criteria then?

Month? 6 months? a year?

What books do you think are undervalued?

Incremental increases in key books over a five year period aren't indicative of an undervalued book. Those books are extremely liquid and the entire hobby recognizes them for what they are, so the price at any point in time is literally the market price for those books. For your example you would need to identify a book that is not currently viewed as a "blue chip" that could join the ranks of the books you mentioned.

If you are speaking of undervalued books that would indicate a book that could see an aberrant increase in demand, and thus price, within a small period of time. Something like what you see with movie/tv appearance spec books, although preferably more stable and long lasting. In short a book that is key to a trend in collecting within the hobby over a decent length of time.

As for what books are undervalued? From what age and genre? For Bronze in general? Look to the covers.

8 hours ago, darkstar said:

Incremental increases in key books over a five year period aren't indicative of an undervalued book. Those books are extremely liquid and the entire hobby recognizes them for what they are, so the price at any point in time is literally the market price for those books. For your example you would need to identify a book that is not currently viewed as a "blue chip" that could join the ranks of the books you mentioned.

If you are speaking of undervalued books that would indicate a book that could see an aberrant increase in demand, and thus price, within a small period of time. Something like what you see with movie/tv appearance spec books, although preferably more stable and long lasting. In short a book that is key to a trend in collecting within the hobby over a decent length of time.

As for what books are undervalued? From what age and genre? For Bronze in general? Look to the covers.

Your first two response paragraphs had me all bought in until your last statement:  "For Bronze in general?  Look to the covers" is pretty vague.

So I'll ask:  Which specific bronze covers do you perceive as undervalued?     :devil: 

2 hours ago, divad said:

Well, my 2c . . . 

• Luke Cage #1
  • Conan the Barbarian #1-19
  • ASM #136, 137
  • Hulk #180
  • Anything Steranko that edges into the BA
  • Any Millie the Model :grin:

Agree to all of the above.

I would also add Avengers Annual 10m and ASM 238

42 minutes ago, divad said:
20 hours ago, valiantman said:

It's also the first Millenium Falcon, which is probably more important to Star Wars than any other vehicle in comics (including the Batmobile). :grin:

Sacrilege! :sumo:

I'll play... which Batmobile is more important than the Millenium Falcon? :kidaround:

On 1/28/2018 at 4:56 PM, NoMan said:

It hurts my feelings that you guys don't like MP 47. I love AntMan. I bought a MP 47 in 9.8 WP for like $550.00. (I seem to be the only one dumb enough to say what I actually spent on certain comics.)

I was hoping to sell if for 3k by the time of the new AntMan movie and finally say good bye to all you 4th graders. Come to think of it I have a 9.2 pedigree one, too. Some kinda pedigree up in Canada, the Montatumbo pedigree or something. I gotta a COA to prove to ya'll  

Yeah, I just checked GPA, another colossal NoMan failure.  Good thing I like these comics

Hey man, I was a geek like the others here back in the 80's, buy 'em and bag 'em, put 'em away and look at 'em every so often and just lay back and enjoy what I was gazing at.  I asked a dealer back then that I sort of trusted on what should I buy and he and his wife told me basically to purchase what I like, so I did.  I've kept them around for the last 30 years (time does really fly) and am now just starting to sell them off slowly.  My collection goes somewhere around 1250 comics of all sorts, the things I liked, story, character, cover, etc.  And, I bought trade copies for the future.  If I like the cover I'd buy 4 or more.  Well, 4 fairly decent copies of Marvel Spotlight #5 was a winner (CGC 5.0 to 7.0, 2 restored, all 4 brought $1,110) but I also have some losers, such as Ploop #1 & 2 so so condition.  I recently sold Marvel Premiere #47 for $130 in CGC 9.0 condition.  Not bad for a comic I bought for $4 back then.  As you can see, I'm not a quick study, must be "dumb" as you, buying what I really liked!  I wasn't looking for a quick buck, just the enjoyment of owning certain copies, like Kamandi #1 - 15 in a 50 cent box.  Sure, basically only #1 is worth anything now but hey, I still like the fact that I can eventually sell it and more than pay for my investment and then some.  This craze about 1st app. is just like rookie cards back then.  Sure it's fun to have a 1st app. but at what price and who's really making the money?  This wasn't a 'real' question by the way.  I went mostly for the story line more than all the other junk, story like Vendetta, Venom Lethal Protector, SSM, Marvel Presents (Gotta Love Wolverine, Ghost Rider, Weapon X) and what about that 'GREAT COVER' - Marvel Presents #87 (bought 8 of those!!).  I guess what I am saying and agreeing with in a few of these responses is, yep, there's a comic collector for high hopes in speculation and a quick buck and then there are comic collectors that collect.  I've always thought of myself as the latter until I recently started selling off my collection.  I'm going back to those times that I just plain loved what I was buying, at cost or below.  But believe me, those memories of how I came across each title will never be lost!  Marvel Premiere #47 at a 9.8 was a good purchase in two ways, first you love the character and second, imagine what that will be worth in 20 years unless of course you're just a collector.  Enjoy the hobby, it has been a great ride for me!!:banana:

I had to go back multiple pages to make sure this wasn't just a Marvel Key Issue Discussion.

That said, I feel like Kirby's DC work is finally starting to come around. I know it was highly printed and could be had for cheap like forever, but it looks like the books are finally starting to creep up in real time value. With Darkseid coming to the DC Movie Universe many of these characters are set to explode. Hell, JLA made Steppenwolf a thing for a decent period of time.

First appearances of Darkseid, New Gods, Forever People, Mister Miracle and Big Barda are already moving, but there's a gold mine of characters that could be used and catch fire. Mister Miracle #2 is the 1st appearance of Granny Goodness, #6 is the 1st Female Furies, New Gods #3 is the Black Racer, Desadd is somewhere in Forever People, Mantis (maybe #2?), Gloriuis Godfey, Metron, the list goes on and on. Demon #1 is still reasonable for an absolutely crazy good character, the list goes on and on.

I realize Marvel is where it's at as far as spec, but if/when these characters hit the movies there is so much more room for price growth.

Edited by boomtown
fact checking

2 minutes ago, boomtown said:

I had to go back multiple pages to make sure this wasn't just a Marvel Key Issue Discussion.

That said, I feel like Kirby's DC work is finally starting to come around. I know it was highly printed and could be had for cheap like forever, but it looks like the books are finally starting to creep up in real time value. With Darkseid coming to the DC Movie Universe many of these characters are set to explode. Hell, JLA made Steppenwolf a thing for a decent period of time.

First appearances of Darkseid, New Gods, Forever People, Mister Miracle and Big Barda are already moving, but there's a gold mine of characters that could be used and catch fire. Mister Miracle #2 is the 1st appearance of Granny Goodness, #6 is the 1st Female Furies, New Gods #3 is the Black Racer, Desadd is somewhere in Forever People, Mantis (maybe #3?), Glories Godfrey, Metron, the list goes on and on. Demon #1 is still reasonable for an absolutely crazy good character, the list goes on and on.

I realize Marvel is where it's at as far as spec, but if/when these characters hit the movies there is so much more room for price growth.

Desaad is Forever People 4, just an FYI.