• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do you slab??
1 1

Slab  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you slab??

• For added dollar value/resell
    • It’s a memorable book
    • It looks pretty
    • Private collection
    • Others??

64 posts in this topic

For me it’s mostly, if a book is memorable, I don’t care if it’s a $1 book or $100...... if I like it, I’m having it slab. 

I don’t normally sell books, I think the only book I traded was 2 months ago. I traded a Saga #1 CGC SS 9.8 (Artist and writer) for a Raw New Mutant 87 & 98 (1st print)

I don't slab and I buy raw comics yet I can understand the commitment of collectors, however the way I look at it is that the book is now off the market for reading. Okay you could open the slab but why go to through all the cost in the first place, what if book collectors started slabbing first editions of Dickens or Shelley how would they feel then? 

Personally, I think I've only submitted twice -- once in the red label days and once just a few years ago.  I'd rather someone else do the work as I'm not confident enough to consistently nail the high grades (although I've gotten some 9.8's in both my submissions) and I'd just rather pay the premium to get a 9.8 (or whatever grade I'm shooting for). 

For the books I buy already slabbed, it's the (hopefully not mis-placed) security of knowing that I have a nice "key" book which has been checked thoroughly for restoration or defects I wouldn't have caught (replaced staples, missing pages, etc.) and is in the best possible condition to a trained, impartial eye.

The books I buy raw, I usually keep raw, even if I think they're 9.6-9.8. There's just something sexier about a raw book in a mylite. However, I've got some I'm selling for a relative that I'll probably slab as they're mid-grade, higher-dollar books so I want to make sure the grades are accurate before selling (plus the sale price is easier to establish based on GPA).

3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I don't slab books.

Quite right liz.

'Slab' backwards is only one L short of 'balls'. And that, coincidently, is what I think when I see many slabs: "Flipping L, what a load of balls".

18 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Quite right liz.

'Slab' backwards is only one L short of 'balls'. And that, coincidently, is what I think when I see many slabs: "Flipping L, what a load of balls".

So why hang out on the CGC boards?  Oh wait,  you want to hang out with some balls.

4 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

So why hang out on the CGC boards?  Oh wait,  you want to hang out with some balls.

That post was an example of me mucking about Bob. :wink:

I hang out here because its the best comic forum by a country mile and it's my mission in life to bore everyone to death about pence books on it. Any minute, liz will be along to say 'mission accomplished' and continue the muckaboutery.  

Whilst I'm grateful that they provide it, I wish the boards were independent of CGC so that there were no restrictions on what we can talk about. That's the only thing that let's it down really,  apart from the handful of lunatics that seem intent on pouring poo sauce over everything. 

Pop over to the CVA thread. I'm planeing against the grain again....(thumbsu

4 hours ago, blazingbob said:

I slab books because "Grading is subjective" is the norm in the raw grading community.

Even though people have been grading for over 30 year there is still no formal teaching method on how to grade a comic.

Grading guides are clear as mud and the grading companies don't publish their standards.

There is nothing more exciting to me then arguing over grading at a show or somebody trying to convince me that they are the "alpha male king of grading" by being ballistic.

Frankly prices wouldn't be where they are today without slabs since people would always question the grade.  

I’m gonna go to Wonder Con just to meet you, Bob. 

I simply must put a face to the posts

12 hours ago, blazingbob said:

I slab books because "Grading is subjective" is the norm in the raw grading community.

Even though people have been grading for over 30 year there is still no formal teaching method on how to grade a comic.

Grading guides are clear as mud and the grading companies don't publish their standards.

There is nothing more exciting to me then arguing over grading at a show or somebody trying to convince me that they are the "alpha male king of grading" by being ballistic.

Frankly prices wouldn't be where they are today without slabs since people would always question the grade.  

I've sent in one batch of moderns, which I did to try and maximize value for selling, as I'm selling to use the money to support art making.

The bolded is absolutely true.  However, the result that I got from slabbing has shown to me that it is a house of cards.  A shared delusion.  Because the bolded is true, it is necessary for everyone in the market to believe the grades are objective, when at the same time people acknowledge that 'grading is subjective and there are good and bad 9.8s'.  I might send in again, just a handful of my most valuable comics, but more than likely not.  It's become clear to me that it doesn't solve the problem it's supposed to solve.  It may tighten the window, but the parameters for that window are not driven by the grading standard, they are driven by market forces and company decision making.

8 hours ago, NoMan said:

I’ll buy something. Xmen 4 CGC 7.5 ish???

But I find, ur, um, our people skills similar 

If there is something particular you want me to bring to the show off my website please let me know.  I cannot bring all of my inventory to the show.  Would have it on hold for you,  no obligation to buy it.  Just important that at least I have it there for you to look at.

All I collect is signatures, so for me A) to protect my book B) to assign a grade/value to my book C) to authenticate the signature 100% on my book.

Personally I don't care if it's a 1$ book, but If I love the Creator or Celeb who signed it ill slab it.