• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do you slab??
1 1

Slab  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you slab??

• For added dollar value/resell
    • It’s a memorable book
    • It looks pretty
    • Private collection
    • Others??

64 posts in this topic

1999 :preach: - Man, who wants to own a book in a picture frame?  (Wolverine 145 had just thrown me back into collecting in earnest)  

2000  hm - Hey, you know...if I'm planning to buy a top grade book and not read it and store it for the future...maybe this "CGC" isn't such a bad idea...  (First purchase, Wolverine LS 3 in 9.8 - now a triple signed SS 9.8)  

2011 :whatthe:  - I haven't bought a book in like two years!  Stupid trip to Afghanistan!  Hey, what the (bleep) is this Signature Series thing???  (Yellow labels, bah!  Like I'm going to take a whopping five minutes to research THAT...)

2012 :idea: - Wait, why not have a bunch of my favorite books signed by their writers and/or artists?!?  Brilliant!  (I went a tad bit overboard at first, but have reached a happy medium) 

9 hours ago, blazingbob said:

If there is something particular you want me to bring to the show off my website please let me know.  I cannot bring all of my inventory to the show.  Would have it on hold for you,  no obligation to buy it.  Just important that at least I have it there for you to look at.

I will let you know. thanks

8 hours ago, tv horror said:

1950's War comics wrote: "delayed gratification is an extremely integral and important part of life !"  There's a double meaning somewhere in there? 

Come off it!

I think slabbing is great for big keys, that you are trying to sell.   

But some people are slabbing books, and it's just a head scratch.  Books that really have no desirability, need or scarcity.  I'm sure it clogs the CGC system. 

1 minute ago, Mercury Man said:

I think slabbing is great for big keys, that you are trying to sell.   

But some people are slabbing books, and it's just a head scratch.  Books that really have no desirability, need or scarcity.  I'm sure it clogs the CGC system. 

Not having enough graders to meet the demand could be another cause hm

I’m slabbing books with CGC because grading is subjective and after 42 years of collecting it’s time. Post 1975 are fun to slab because it’s cheap and most of mine are 9.0 or better. Silver and earlier bronze  I’m spending a little more time screening as the costs are higher and I have way more with defects. Gold are the most fun as so many have tiny census numbers and a relative paucity of sales data so my threshold to slab is pretty low.  Magazines just seem too expensive. 

On January 27, 2018 at 9:35 AM, blazingbob said:

So why hang out on the CGC boards?  Oh wait,  you want to hang out with some balls.

Leave it to bob to make this into a BSD contest.  lol

I used to slab to sell, mostly.  However just like raw books, unless its a hot issue then they tend to sit. And sit.  And sit.  You may be the best price on all Feebay but that doesn't mean someone wants to pay $60 or more for the pleasure of a 9.8.  My last order of 30 books took more than a year to offload and I'm not a gouger by any means.  Now I prefer to sell raw with as many photos as possible to maximize the bucks.

That said I do slab the more valuable books in my collection.  Protection and knowing what they're worth for insurance's sake are my rationale.

I like the idea of a "legitimized" grade but protection and valuation are big parts as well.  The hunt for a raw or under-graded slab to have graded is the fun part for me.  If its not for my Spidey run then it typically needs to be a key or a book I'm attached to for one reason or another. 

oh yeah, answer the question:

I suppose on super big books I'm not confident in my grading/spotting resto abilities, so those I buy slabbed. I went through a slabbing phase around here in the beginning and it ran it's course, thank God. A 9.6 Moon Knight #1 (1982), like Bob said, once you buy book raw, pay shipping, pay CGC, pay return shipping, seems kinda, um, stupid. Now I get as stupid as the best of 'em and I did correctly guess the grade on the raw book when I bought it. Like I said, I just buy raw now cause I mainly like to read stuff in original form. 

Edited by NoMan

47 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Buying a slabbed book is buying somebody else's risk, time, shipping risks and grading expenses.

If I'd known I was screwing you over like that, I would have bought more...,. :luhv: