• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GOLD! An eclectic blend. Cowboys & Nazis, Matt Baker, Raboy, 1st Kryptonite and more.
2 2

20 posts in this topic

As the header indicates, this will be a variety of comic books, about 6 in all. The mix will be wildly random, but they all are Pre-Code.

1st “I'll Take It!” in the thread wins and trumps all private negotiations.

Payment by PayPal within 24 hours of invoice.

(To avoid confusion, please do not rescind your take or swap with others on the thread.)

Shipping in USA is $8 for a USPS Priority flat (up to 3 raw books) or $ 15 for a box (slabbed book or multiple raws). For outside the U.S. PM me before taking.

No returns on slabbed books, but for raw contact me within three days of receipt and send it back on your dime in the same shape. Of course, if I missed something important I'll pay for return shipping.

No probation listers or HOSers.

Beware! Terror Tales 3 (Fawcett/September 1952) 6.0 FN Off-White

A host with credentials!

Don't settle for just any horror comic host who looks like death warmed over. “The Mummy” may not appear to be a stereotypical mummy, but he does have “...2,000 years of intimate dealings with the supernatural”! The grim reaper cover was done by Bernard Bailey, co-creator of The Spectre.

As the scans show, there's a bit of a dust shadow at the top on the front and the back, but overall this issue is nice with good gloss.

$ 200 -- SOLD to COMCAV

Beware Terror Tales 3 front.jpg

Beware Terror Tales 3 rear.jpg

Beware Terror Tales 3 center.jpg

Edited by MBFan

Space Western #44 (June 1953) 2.0 GD Off-White/White

Cowboys and Nazis on Mars!

This title was created by Walter Gibson, best known for his work on The Shadow.

Staples are rusted with migration; centerfold is detached; there are stains; splotches of silver ink at bottom of cover. I've tried to provide enough photos to clearly show the flaws. Our fellow boardies who “spare a grade” say it's a 2.0. Overall, the wacky cover looks great and still has a lot of gloss.

$ 90 -- SOLD to COMCAV

Space Western 44 front scan.jpg

Space Western 44 rear scan.jpg

SAM_4765.JPG

SAM_4767.JPG

SAM_4769.JPG

Edited by MBFan

Master Comics #18 (Fawcett/Sept 1941) Off-White

Animal cruelty cover!

Cover pencils & inks by Charles Sultan, featuring Minute-Man, Bulletgirl and Bulletman (who is socking a chimp)

Inside: Hitler makes a guest appearance: Otto Binder story with Rafael Astarita art; a 7-page Zoro, The Mystery Man adventure with pencils & inks by Mac Raboy; a story with pencils/inks by George Tuska and 1 page of Strange But True facts, including using cob webs to heal wounds.

Overall tight, flat, good-looking 75-year-old issue. Front cover has lots of gloss, great registration and color, with some creasing, including a reading crease near the spine. The most significant defects include slight staple tears at the bottom staple, the reading crease and a few very minor tears at the top. Cover is tight.

Rear cover has some stains, and there are some creases and a tiny tape repair at the bottom left corner. It's so minor that the book would probably grade the same if the taped piece was just torn off.

The book's interior is off-white or better, the colors & art are striking and the centerfold is tight.

$ 200 -- NOW $175

Master 18 front scan.jpg

Master 18 rear scan.jpg

SAM_4915.JPG

SAM_4911.JPG

SAM_4913.JPG

Edited by MBFan
price drop

Superman #61 (December 1949) FR/GD Off-White

Krytonite kicks Superman's butt for the 1st time!

An important issue in Superman mythology: the 1st appearance of Kryptonite...

AND in the same story written by legend Bill Finger, Superman returns to Krypton and discovers for the first time that he is not from Earth. (I've always been amazed that such a silly cover obscures such a life-changing issue.)

Beat-but-complete” summarizes its condition. The spine is split and missing pieces about halfway up from the bottom of the cover, which has creases, tears and some small pieces missing; cover is still attached at top staple; centerfold is detached at top staple. The photos tell the tale. It's pretty nice inside.

$ 110

Superman 61 front.jpg

Superman 61 rear.jpg

Superman 61 inside front.JPG

18 minutes ago, MBFan said:

Space Western #44 (June 1953) 2.0 GD Off-White/White

Cowboys and Nazis on Mars!

This title was created by Walter Gibson, best known for his work on The Shadow.

Staples are rusted with migration; centerfold is detached; there are stains; splotches of silver ink at bottom of cover. I've tried to provide enough photos to clearly show the flaws. Our fellow boardies who “spare a grade” say it's a 2.0. Overall, the wacky cover looks great and still has a lot of gloss.

$ 90

Space Western 44 front scan.jpg

Space Western 44 rear scan.jpg

SAM_4765.JPG

SAM_4767.JPG

SAM_4769.JPG

take

Jumbo Comic 23 (Fiction House/January 1941) 2.0 G Off-White/White (mainly White)

Hungry alligators get cheated again!

An issue that seems to be somewhat hard-to-find, and the worst I can say about this copy is it has a 2” spine split above the top staple. The good news is, it doesn't go all the way to the top. I'm grading it at only Good due to the spine split and some staining, but everything else about it is better than a 2.0.

There's a Bob Kane Peter Pupp story and a 9-page story where the Iger Shop repurposed some Will Eisner art. GCD thinks a couple of stories might feature Lou Fine's work as well.

$ 125 -- SOLD to COMCAV

Jumbo Comics 23 front.jpg

Jumbo Comics 23 back.jpg

Edited by MBFan

9 minutes ago, MBFan said:

Jumbo Comic 23 (Fiction House/January 1941) 2.0 G Off-White/White (mainly White)

Hungry alligators get cheated again!

An issue that seems to be somewhat hard-to-find, and the worst I can say about this copy is it has a 2” spine split above the top staple. The good news is, it doesn't go all the way to the top. I'm grading it at only Good due to the spine split and some staining, but everything else about it is better than a 2.0.

There's a Bob Kane Peter Pupp story and a 9-page story where the Iger Shop repurposed some Will Eisner art. GCD thinks a couple of stories might feature Lou Fine's work as well.

$ 125

Jumbo Comics 23 front.jpg

Jumbo Comics 23 back.jpg

take

23 minutes ago, MBFan said:

Beware! Terror Tales 3 (Fawcett/September 1952) 6.0 FN Off-White

A host with credentials!

Don't settle for just any horror comic host who looks like death warmed over. “The Mummy” may not appear to be a stereotypical mummy, but he does have “...2,000 years of intimate dealings with the supernatural”! The grim reaper cover was done by Bernard Bailey, co-creator of The Spectre.

As the scans show, there's a bit of a dust shadow at the top on the front and the back, but overall this issue is nice with good gloss.

$ 200

Beware Terror Tales 3 front.jpg

Beware Terror Tales 3 rear.jpg

Beware Terror Tales 3 center.jpg

take

Pictorial Romances 10 CGC 5.0 Off-White/White (St. John/November 1951)

Don't get on that plane!

This is the last I'll list for now, and it's an ALL MATT BAKER issue, which is why I bought a raw copy and am selling this one. (I was on the verge of cracking it out.) Every page of story art features Baker babes. Matt's cover takes us back to how America flew in 1951, with the props creating wind on the tarmac and ladies decked out in the latest fashions as travellers boarded the plane. The catty-thinking blonde is up to no good. Baker books have gone so crazy lately that I don't know what they're worth anymore, so we'll start at...

$550 -- SOLD to Roger66

Pictorial Romances 10 front.jpg

Pictorial Romances 10 back.jpg

Edited by MBFan

Just now, MBFan said:

Pictorial Romances 10 CGC 5.0 Off-White/White (St. John/November 1951)

Don't get on that plane!

This is the last I'll list for now, and it's an ALL MATT BAKER issue, which is why I bought a raw copy and am selling this one. (I was on the verge of cracking it out.) Every page of story art features Baker babes. Matt's cover takes us back to how America flew in 1951, with the props creating wind on the tarmac and ladies decked out in the latest fashions as travellers boarded the plane. The catty-thinking blonde is up to no good. Baker books have gone so crazy lately that I don't know what they're worth anymore, so we'll start at...

$550

Pictorial Romances 10 front.jpg

Pictorial Romances 10 back.jpg

take

On 1/28/2018 at 12:01 AM, MBFan said:

Superman #61 (December 1949) FR/GD Off-White

Krytonite kicks Superman's butt for the 1st time!

An important issue in Superman mythology: the 1st appearance of Kryptonite...

AND in the same story written by legend Bill Finger, Superman returns to Krypton and discovers for the first time that he is not from Earth. (I've always been amazed that such a silly cover obscures such a life-changing issue.)

Beat-but-complete” summarizes its condition. The spine is split and missing pieces about halfway up from the bottom of the cover, which has creases, tears and some small pieces missing; cover is still attached at top staple; centerfold is detached at top staple. The photos tell the tale. It's pretty nice inside.

$ 110

Superman 61 front.jpg

Superman 61 rear.jpg

Superman 61 inside front.JPG

:takeit: per PM