• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kudos to CGC and grading time turnaround!

49 posts in this topic

That's what I was thinking as well, although it'll likely take a few months for this to clear itself out. Can you just imagine the piles of "now-worthless" books that are being sent through CGC right now?

I was reading on Reynold Jay's website that due to incredibly low prices, he'd called CGC and actually halted a bunch of their submissions. That's pretty creepy, and actually scares me a bit more than I'd like.

I know I've been trying to save the fools from going broke on CGC books, but I'd still like the hobby to be healthy. Some of the stuff I'm seeing on EBay is creeping me right out, and really making me wonder where we're headed.

Couple of thoughts beyond that:

-less CGC business may help with customer service

-a slowdown at CGC itself may prompt measures to increase business, perhaps that cheaper modern tier that has been tossed out as an idea on the board.

-less supply of CGC books on eBay from RJ and the like may actually cause some preservation of end auction values.

-I think the hobby is o.k. Donut is happy with his raw sales, and Diamond sales numbers are up for two years running. We debate and focus on CGC books on this board to an extent that some tunneling of vision is inevitable. If raw book sales turn, though..... frown.gif

........the thing is doc, that you can't isolate the cgc and raw markets.........if cgc prices are falling across the board, then its bound to effect the slabbed market.........i can see a huge fall-off for demand of (especially bronze and also increasingly silver) vf and above raw books as the lure of getting them slabbed becomes less and less worthwhile..............

Agree! That's why I asked about grade. I'm wondering if the 'treasure hunt' mentality for raw NMs is settling.

Interestingly, did you see the raw X-Men 125 on another thread that was seller graded 9.4 and sold for $35? You might be able to get a slabbed 9.4 for that price, now. I'm hoping the pendulum of apathy for these types of books in CGC 9.4 swings too far.....

nterestingly, did you see the raw X-Men 125 on another thread that was seller graded 9.4 and sold for $35? You might be able to get a slabbed 9.4 for that price, now.

Probably for around $40 if you sift through a few auctions. The guy who bought that comic is either a raw comic collector (hopefully) or someone with CGC Gold in their eyes (doah!).

The seller also had ALL of his 9.6's CGC graded, yet his 9.2-9.4's raw (maybe a pre-screen?). That's the safe thing to do, and I don't imagine that any of the raw books going above 9.4 at best.

So if that buyer is a CGC flipper, he's lost money right off the bat, by overpaying big-time for a raw NM 9.4.