• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dueling Detective 27s this spring
1 1

146 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, rob_react said:

The Rockford copy is a million dollar book now, I think.  It previously sold for $115,000 ^^

I would lay strong odds you're right. Fun to see two great examples of this icon. If price were no object between these two, for sure I'd grab the Rockford copy. Hey, we can't all afford Allentowns. ;)

23 minutes ago, rob_react said:

The Rockford copy is a million dollar book now, I think. 

(thumbsu

from the pre-Robin thread

On 10/14/2017 at 8:49 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Edited by Gotham Kid

33 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

With a 9.4 Frankenstein extensive Action 1 currently going for 550K, the Rockford Tec should blow north of 1 milly ...

If the person who wrote "Vol 3  no 3" on the book had instead put a couple dots in a black field of the cover, some would've called that book an abomination.   

Edited by bluechip

6 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

With a 9.4 Frankenstein extensive Action 1 currently going for 550K, the Rockford Tec should blow north of 1 milly ...

I'd think so, but weird things have happened with this stuff before. $1,000,000 is still a big number.  

8 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

The 5.0 looks like the colors on the cover pop more to me, but maybe it was just the photos and how they were taken.

It does, but who knows if it's just the scan. I will say the handwriting certainly pops! That's like a $50,000 scribble. 

9 hours ago, bluechip said:

If the person who wrote "Vol 3  no 3" on the book had instead put a couple dots in a black field of the cover, some would've called that book an abomination.   

Resto evaluation does not always Reflect sanity.

Edited by Mr bla bla

3 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Where is that Action 1 currently selling? What auction?

Mystery here. I am positive the book was cbcs graded yet my link now points to a CGC graded copy. ???

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/425944-looks-like-igb-are-back-at-it/?page=1

(shrug)

Edited by Gotham Kid

4 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

So CGC is now grading IGB books !? ???

a. they refused to grade them in the past

b. IGB court case against CGC

If you read the description of this Action 1 on the CC site, it would seem the degree of restoration on this specific book may be less extensive than prior resto jobs by IGB?

Not sure, but perhaps that would relate to this issue.

This is the part of the description to which I'm referring:

The cover has not been reglossed, and any piece fill is Japanese paper or leafcasting -- no color copies or donor books were used. Initially a CGC-graded complete copy, no marriages of major missing pieces were attached to the cover and interior, and the book has not been trimmed.