• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dueling Detective 27s this spring
1 1

146 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

That seems like VERY cheap. The ComicLink 2.5 ended at 380K

Certainly seems significantly below market value. I do like the Hake's website but wonder if their reach is hurting this book.

I.e. this same book might bring +25%++ more if it were auctioned at CC, CL or Heritage.

4 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

$569,273.61

so there you go - about 5% below the current price of the one on the CC auction.

We'll see where the CC one ends up. I don't think it's done. 

Just now, Gotham Kid said:
5 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Im afraid that book got its assh kicked due to choice of venue.

yup

Could be, but you think with a book of this magnitude, word would spread that it was available so bidders who normally don't check the site would participate.  Hard to know, I guess, but as the consignor, I would have gone with Heritage.

10 minutes ago, rob_react said:

Having the CC copy going on right now doesn't help.

I think the influence of that is overstated - unless there are only ever two people at a time interested in a book at this level (or conversely I guess that bidding on the CC Action 1 is also over now since HA will offer one a few weeks later).

And would hope the CC copy isn't done since it's a full grade higher.

14 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

I think the influence of that is overstated - unless there are only ever two people at a time interested in a book at this level (or conversely I guess that bidding on the CC Action 1 is also over now since HA will offer one a few weeks later).

And would hope the CC copy isn't done since it's a full grade higher.

I think this is a particular case. If I were a collector in the market for a Detective 27 in this grade range, I'd be moving mountains to get the CC copy and I'd be in on this at a much lower relative level. 

4 minutes ago, rob_react said:

I think this is a particular case. If I were a collector in the market for a Detective 27 in this grade range, I'd be moving mountains to get the CC copy and I'd be in on this at a much lower relative level. 

Very well could be.  Place some exploratory bids on the CC copy first to see if it will be in your range or not, and if not go after the Hake's copy.

or buy both.

If I had the money, I would be bidding aggressively on the Hakes copy.  Sold for cheaper than what I expected.

Anyone win anything?  What do you guys think of the other sale prices of the book - Action 7, MF 52, Cap 3?

Edited by Dark Knight

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

That seems like VERY cheap. The ComicLink 2.5 ended at 380K

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

$569,273.61

so there you go - about 5% below the current price of the one on the CC auction.

Yep - congrats to whomever bought this Tec 27 at Hake's. Definitely seems like it slipped under the radar!

26 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

If I had the money, I would be bidding aggressively on the Hakes copy.  Sold for cheaper than what I expected.

Anyone win anything?  What do you guys think of the other sale prices of the book - Action 7, MF 52, Cap 3?

The Hake's Action 7 in 4.0 for $124k seemed like a bargain. I was thinking it would go in the $150k+ range...

I think the Hake's bidding format is awkward. 

This may be a factor in slightly lower results.

Maybe this is intentional to discourage flighty bidding.

Or it may be a combination of the intentions, and overthinking the process.

I registered, and was accepted, for online bidding.  I only then discovered that there were more hoops to go through.

It is not an actual live auction.

David

7 minutes ago, aokartman said:

I think the Hake's bidding format is awkward. 

This may be a factor in slightly lower results.

Maybe this is intentional to discourage flighty bidding.

Or it may be a combination of the intentions, and overthinking the process.

I registered, and was accepted, for online bidding.  I only then discovered that there were more hoops to go through.

It is not an actual live auction.

David

It has a really funky closing with the clock apparently resetting for an additional three hours if a bid is receive in the last three hours.

I won several things, but nothing too exciting.  For anyone not familiar with them, try to get a hold of their catalog; it's a hoot with all the oddball stuff they list.

12 minutes ago, Primetime said:

The Hake's Action 7 in 4.0 for $124k seemed like a bargain. I was thinking it would go in the $150k+ range...

Well you can also factor in the low eye appeal on it too. Probably another reason why it sold for "cheaper." The dust shadow is a distraction for me at least.