• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dueling Detective 27s this spring
1 1

146 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Well you can also factor in the low eye appeal on it too. Probably another reason why it sold for "cheaper." The dust shadow is a distraction for me at least.

low eye appeal and a dust shadow slowing down an Action 7? :whatthe:

3 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

I didn't even realize the auction ended. I wouldn't be happy if I was the consignor.

It's the consignor's fault in the 1st place. They decide where and when they want to sell their stuff. 

2 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

I am sure we will see it on a dealers website/inventory before the end of the month.

I don't doubt it at all. Look what happened to the Weiss Tec 29. Pressed and gonna be flipped in the next Heritage auction.

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

If I had the money, I would be bidding aggressively on the Hakes copy.  Sold for cheaper than what I expected.

Anyone win anything?  What do you guys think of the other sale prices of the book - Action 7, MF 52, Cap 3?

I won the Human Torch 6 and a movie (The Thing From Another World) lobby card. Thought the More Fun 52 went pretty strong, considering the condition of the spine.

Edited by twmjr1

1 minute ago, twmjr1 said:
2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

If I had the money, I would be bidding aggressively on the Hakes copy.  Sold for cheaper than what I expected.

Anyone win anything?  What do you guys think of the other sale prices of the book - Action 7, MF 52, Cap 3?

I won the Human Torch 6 and a movie (The Thing From Another World) lobby card.

Cool and congrats!  Hope the book looks even better in person.

3 hours ago, aokartman said:

I think the Hake's bidding format is awkward. 

This may be a factor in slightly lower results.

Maybe this is intentional to discourage flighty bidding.

Or it may be a combination of the intentions, and overthinking the process.

I registered, and was accepted, for online bidding.  I only then discovered that there were more hoops to go through.

It is not an actual live auction.

David

The bidding process is very awkward and obtuse.   The clock supposedly resets but then it doesn't count down in a way that seems accurate, reliable or sensible.   I've bid on a few things and just was not at all certain how much time was actually left.

So how much did the Tec 27 on Hake’s Auction approximately undersell for? What should a 5.0 have gone for? $100K more? $200K more? Either way that seller lost out on some chedda!!!

Edited by LDarkseid1

4 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

So how much did the Tec 27 on Hake’s Auction approximately undersell for? What should a 5.0 have gone for? $100K more? $200K more? Either way they seller lost out on some chedda!!!

I thought it had a chance at over 700,000-750,000. I think 600-650,000 would have been a solid result. 

Edited by rob_react

I thought the More fun 52 ended very strongly considering how weak of a 3.0 it was. I Think the tec 27 would have sold much better on any of the big 3 auction sites. I would think were going to see it for sale again very soon.

4 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Interesting to see if the consignor actually proceeds to transact the book, knowing that it went 200K south of FMV.?

You have no choice to when you sign a consignment agreement with no reserve. I’ve been burned enough times selling at auction that I will no longer sell a high value item without a reserve.

6 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

You have no choice to when you sign a consignment agreement with no reserve. I’ve been burned enough times selling at auction that I will no longer sell a high value item without a reserve.

I understand the dilemma (been burned as well). I wonder if the majority of people are put off when seeing a book with a Reserve or do they still bid as aggressively as they would with a book without a Reserve? 

2 hours ago, martini25 said:

I understand the dilemma (been burned as well). I wonder if the majority of people are put off when seeing a book with a Reserve or do they still bid as aggressively as they would with a book without a Reserve? 

9/10 I won't bid on a book with a reserve at all. 

8 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Interesting to see if the consignor actually proceeds to transact the book, knowing that it went 200K south of FMV.?

I think the book's where found after the owner passed?. So I would think who ever had control don't care if they got $100. since it was all free and there are houses, car's. and everything else to sell.(shrug)

4 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Yup.

Edited by woowoo