• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dueling Detective 27s this spring
1 1

146 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Pickie said:

It's not my league so my question might sound a bit naive but how does that permanent supply of Tec27s on HA.com via the "Make offer to owner" feature relate to the auction market?

There are 7 unrestored blue label copies in nearly every grade available (only apparently, that is?): 8.0 / 7.5 / 7.0 / 6.5 (CGC 1126121001) / 6.5 (CGC 0916338001) / 3.5 / 2.0.

If I was about to bid on a Tec27 at auction I'd have checked out those offers beforehand? Do the owners just say "no" to any given offer near FMV?

In reality the books you mention are not necessarily "available". The offer to owner is not a BIN offer If I recall correctly. That is you could offer Tripple FMV and still not get the book ... so ...

1 hour ago, Mr bla bla said:

In reality the books you mention are not necessarily "available". The offer to owner is not a BIN offer If I recall correctly. That is you could offer Tripple FMV and still not get the book ... so ...

Yeah, it's automated. Unless you opt out, if you have books you've bought from Heritage over a certain dollar value, they end up showing as "taking offers" and the default offer is not reflective of the actual cost to move the book. 

On 2/8/2018 at 8:46 PM, Sqeggs said:

It is, although they seem to have been doing well with their comic book sales.  I rarely find a bargain.

Still, if either of those were my books, I wouldn't be using their site to sell them. 

I'm curious as to why you feel this way?  

1 hour ago, 1Toy2Many said:
On 2/8/2018 at 8:46 PM, Sqeggs said:

It is, although they seem to have been doing well with their comic book sales.  I rarely find a bargain.

Still, if either of those were my books, I wouldn't be using their site to sell them. 

I'm curious as to why you feel this way?

I think that it's tough to beat Heritage for the publicity they can bring to books featured in their Signature Auctions.  I believe they have a worldwide reach that exceeds that of the other comics/collectibles auction houses.

46 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I think that it's tough to beat Heritage for the publicity they can bring to books featured in their Signature Auctions.  I believe they have a worldwide reach that exceeds that of the other comics/collectibles auction houses.

C-cnect aint too shabby either

3 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:
4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

C-cnect aint too shabby either

Yep.  They've certainly had some strong results on big GA books. 

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Well I respect that and know where you're coming from.  Heritage has earned their place and continues to bring in a ton of great stuff each time out.   

I will also say that we've (Hakes) been upping our game for the past few auctions, bringing in record prices (beating another house's gavel price on the same CGC grade AF15 by 10 grand, for example), expanding more into higher-end comic art than in years past, and focusing on individual client performance rather than a wholesale approach.  The last point is as much out of necessity as design, since we only pull a fraction of the overall consignors than Heritage at this time.  But the nice thing about that is the approach has done well for the consignors we DO get and they're happy to CONTINUE to work with us.  Hakes has been around for 50 years and it does come with some advantages.

I'm pumped about the Tec 27 and hope it does well for the seller AND the eventual buyer.  And I truly appreciate the feedback as that's the only way I'll be able to shape things as we grow.   

2 minutes ago, 1Toy2Many said:

Well I respect that and know where you're coming from.  Heritage has earned their place and continues to bring in a ton of great stuff each time out.   

I will also say that we've (Hakes) been upping our game for the past few auctions, bringing in record prices (beating another house's gavel price on the same CGC grade AF15 by 10 grand, for example), expanding more into higher-end comic art than in years past, and focusing on individual client performance rather than a wholesale approach.  The last point is as much out of necessity as design, since we only pull a fraction of the overall consignors than Heritage at this time.  But the nice thing about that is the approach has done well for the consignors we DO get and they're happy to CONTINUE to work with us.  Hakes has been around for 50 years and it does come with some advantages.

I'm pumped about the Tec 27 and hope it does well for the seller AND the eventual buyer.  And I truly appreciate the feedback as that's the only way I'll be able to shape things as we grow.   

I've bought a significant amount of stuff from you, both comics and other things.  Overall, it hasn't come cheap, so you are doing right by your consignors!  

I love going through your printed catalogs, but the comics are kind of lost in a sea of other things, the bulk of which (political memorabilia and such) are of no interest to the average comic buyer.  I don't know if it would be feasible to split the comics material into a separate catalog the way Heritage began splitting the comics from the OA a couple of years ago.

I've also found your web site to be a little funky.  Sometimes when I have a subcategory open, if I click on an individual item, when I go back to the list, the order is scrambled.  That is, items that I had already gone through have moved ahead of the item I just looked at.  Makes it somewhat difficult to be sure you've actually gone through all the items you intended to.  I use Safari, so perhaps that explains it.

On 2/14/2018 at 4:51 PM, Sqeggs said:

I've bought a significant amount of stuff from you, both comics and other things.  Overall, it hasn't come cheap, so you are doing right by your consignors!  

I love going through your printed catalogs, but the comics are kind of lost in a sea of other things, the bulk of which (political memorabilia and such) are of no interest to the average comic buyer.  I don't know if it would be feasible to split the comics material into a separate catalog the way Heritage began splitting the comics from the OA a couple of years ago.

I've also found your web site to be a little funky.  Sometimes when I have a subcategory open, if I click on an individual item, when I go back to the list, the order is scrambled.  That is, items that I had already gone through have moved ahead of the item I just looked at.  Makes it somewhat difficult to be sure you've actually gone through all the items you intended to.  I use Safari, so perhaps that explains it.

At this point I don't think we'll carry enough comic material to justify a secondary catalog, but I have been pushing for better divisions within the printed book and the website, too.  For starters, this auction will have sub-categories in the Original Art category for the first time, which will hopefully make it easier/faster to find comic art rather than have to dig through several pages of strip art that might not be of interest.  

The scrambled order thing is news to me, so thanks again for bringing that to my attention.  I will try to duplicate it when the auction opens next week so that I can explain it to IT.  They're always working on Diamond projects ahead of Hakes but it will be identified and added to the list for sure! 

I actually bought from Hakes for years and only started working here 11 months ago, and have always found a weird mix of super high sales prices ($6000 for a Jerry Robinson Joker commission last auction, for example) and great deals that slip through the cracks and go dirt cheap.  I actually hope it stays that way because the statement pieces bringing big bucks is what'll grow our brand and keep the sellers happy, but that'll need to balanced by good bargains slipping through so the buyers can keep finding wins.  

Edited by 1Toy2Many

Watching the Hakes auctions.  Soo a winning bidder would have to wait 3 hours until the timer ends for that buyer to win if there are no other bidders within that time frame!?  I don't understand why it takes so long for a lot to close.