• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conservation on some Golden Age books

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've been slowly progressing on paper conservation/restoration work and wanted to share this book I've been working on.

The Lone Ranger #15, published back in 1949. Work on this issue included tears sealed, pieces added, staples reinforced, and pressing to decrease the spine roll. I didn't do any color touch so that the book would stay conserved, and since the only pieces added were a few and small at places that helped structural integrity. 

Lone_Ranger_Before_A.jpeg

Lone_Ranger_Before_B.jpeg

Lone_Ranger_After_A.jpeg

Lone_Ranger_After_B.jpeg

Edited by Phil the Governor

On 2/5/2018 at 9:28 PM, Alf Pogs said:

(thumbsu   Japan paper? Wheat Paste? New staples? Pics of inside covers? Still got some spine roll to squish out and it will look even better.

Everything that was used is archival and reversible. I didn't want to put an excessive amount of  pressure on the cover since it was already in early stages of tanning, so I felt stopping at the point it's at now was reasonable.

The staples are original, did not need cleaning, and were put back in their correct (original) orientation.

I'll have pics of the inside cover of the current book I'm working on when it's finished. (thumbsu