• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The quest for an ASM SA run - Graded or raw?
4 4

73 posts in this topic

Hey!

I have been for a long time contemplating to go for an ASM run. I have by now read the silver age issues through my Omnibus books (nice editions by the way) and the itch to collect the real thing just doesn't fade away. I own by now an AF15, a nice #1 (CGC 7.5) and some random issues between #60 and #70. I just love the art, stories and covers and it will be awesome to hunt for them all. I would love to begin with the 12-cents issues and take it from there. I would be more than happy with a run in a consistent F/VF condition.

What I really can't decide is whether I should (or would like to) go for an all graded run, or go for some selected graded issues (probably 1-10, 14, 15, 20, 41 and 50 as CGC 7.0 - 7.5) and the rest of them raw in F/VF - VF grade.

It will be awesome to be able to read the original books, but living in Europe, my purchases will be mainly on-line (and therefore not able to check the books closely) which makes graded books feel "safer" and limit my buying venues for raw books to a few selected and trusted selling venues (that grade accurately and disclose restoration).

How have others in these boards gone for similar runs? I would love to hear other collectors' experiences and opinions.

Cheers!

Thanks. Space is an issue for sure, and also many issues after the Lee / Ditko run would probably make more sense for me to have them raw. I will probably start with graded for the first 38 or 39 and then fill with mainly raws (with a few exceptions of keys) for the rest. 

We should team-up (LOL) I'm missing AF15 and Amazing 1 but have all the rest up to the end of Superior and all the spin offs.  Personally you have the two most sought after and expensive comics  so I see your quest as fairly easy and fun. I collect raw issues myself around the 3.0 to 4.5 and I love each and everyone of them they are my babies. One other thing is that I would use your Amazing Spider-man 1 as your guide and keep them around that grade. What grade is the AF15? If I were to start again I would get Amazing 1-100 and only keys after that as the room the full sets take up is enormous. Good luck on the slippery slope. 

21 minutes ago, tv horror said:

We should team-up (LOL) I'm missing AF15 and Amazing 1 but have all the rest up to the end of Superior and all the spin offs.  Personally you have the two most sought after and expensive comics  so I see your quest as fairly easy and fun. I collect raw issues myself around the 3.0 to 4.5 and I love each and everyone of them they are my babies. One other thing is that I would use your Amazing Spider-man 1 as your guide and keep them around that grade. What grade is the AF15? If I were to start again I would get Amazing 1-100 and only keys after that as the room the full sets take up is enormous. Good luck on the slippery slope. 

It sounds like an amazing and huge collection, kudos for your dedication! How many books are approximately there besides the 699 ASMs?

That was my thought about grades as well, keeping the rest of the run as close to 7.5 as possible, without excluding nice 7.0s or fairly priced 8.0s. My AF15 is a 4.5 but hopefully one day, if I still have the motivation, I will get it upgraded to something a tad closer to the rest of the run, but for the time-being I am just happy I have it.

10 hours ago, SECollector said:

Thanks. Space is an issue for sure, and also many issues after the Lee / Ditko run would probably make more sense for me to have them raw. I will probably start with graded for the first 38 or 39 and then fill with mainly raws (with a few exceptions of keys) for the rest. 

arguments to made for 1-38, 1-40 and 1-50.  any of those choices will get a :cloud9: from me.

3 hours ago, SECollector said:

Thanks everybody for your input. This will be a fun task to take. Now, if only anyone has an ASM 2 at CGC 7-7.5 for sale? :whistle:

I have a raw copy that's maybe a 2.0 on a good day (thumbsu

Incidentally, I do think 1-50 would be better for a run as Straw-Man suggested. 39, 40, 41, 50.... all must-haves. Have you checked through some of the more reputable dealer sites like Dale, Bedrock, etc. to see if their raw stock suits your needs. You're not likely to catch great deals like you would on eBay, but I think you'll have a lot more confidence buying raw books from these guys and that's worth the price to me (plus, you'll still save more versus buying graded).

9 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I have a raw copy that's maybe a 2.0 on a good day (thumbsu

Incidentally, I do think 1-50 would be better for a run as Straw-Man suggested. 39, 40, 41, 50.... all must-haves. Have you checked through some of the more reputable dealer sites like Dale, Bedrock, etc. to see if their raw stock suits your needs. You're not likely to catch great deals like you would on eBay, but I think you'll have a lot more confidence buying raw books from these guys and that's worth the price to me (plus, you'll still save more versus buying graded).

Well, your copy is much nicer than mine!

Thanks for the tips. I do check these sites regularly as well as the other big ones and auctions at CC and CL. I will start with the graded Lee / Ditko run. This should provide me a loooong time before I need to decide how I will proceed with the next ones.

13 hours ago, tv horror said:

Zosocane what no love for the Rhino or Shocker 41 46 you fiend. 

6 hours ago, SECollector said:

41 is definitely a key. A pretty big one, and an awesome cover as well. 46 as well, but 41 is one of my favourite issues.

I'm sure it was just an oversight on his part, but 41 is awesome. If you'll indulge me for a minute, Rhino is probably the Spidey villain I remember most vividly from watching the cartoon back as far as pre-school (pretty sure I didn't even know what a comic book was at that point). When I was going through the collection with the aforementioned #2 (a complete ASM run from 20-180ish), I already had it fixed that I was pulling 39, 40, 121, 122 and 129 for myself with no plans on keeping any of the rest.... then two books absolutely sang to me when I saw them: 20 and 41. Might not be the biggest ASM's but Scorpion and Rhino are a couple of those classic rogues that seemed timeless to me, as if there was never a first appearance because they were just always there. I had to look them up to confirm that they were first appearances as I'm not familiar with early Spidey on an issue-by-issue basis, but when I realized it was those two guys' debuts, it hit me the same way the covers probably hit a kid pulling them off the spinner for the first time back in the 60's. I know my mouth hung open and my eyes were wide as saucers when the realization dawned on me and I'm someone who doesn't get genuinely awestruck by much anymore. It was pretty neat, I must say, and certainly one of those moments we cherish in this hobby.

You are so right about the Scorpion I was hooked on the character from the beginning there was just something mean and nasty about the way Ditko had drawn him and in a strange way Romita's Rhino, he also shared this meanness in his features. They were both classic characters that will stand the test of time.