• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The quest for an ASM SA run - Graded or raw?
4 4

73 posts in this topic

Well, I have the whole run -  AF15 and then ASM1-700, plus everything after 700 up until now, plus I have all the Annuals and most of the (significant) cross-overs with Spidey on the cover. I think the key thing to do is hopefully find a nicely priced run - I was lucky to score a beauty run (many of which where in the 150-400 range) for $600 about 12 years ago on eBay. Of course, not likely in 2018, but still it's the way to go I think, eBay still has some long ASM runs for sale from time-to-time.

I completed it several years ago and still have everything, and I just literally pulled out 150-400 two nights ago, all raw, and "graded" them myself. I figure all 8.0 and higher. But WOW those covers just always blow me away. I would say go for it, it is an awesome run, and I don't see $$ on this run going anywhere but up (so many 9.0 to 9.4 in the 200 to 400 range that are all like $30 here, $50 there when looking them up on GPA - no way I paid that much way back 10 years ago ....)

My suggestion, and what I've been doing,  is slabbing all key issues (as someone above suggested)  and leaving all others raw  (so say anything that is currently valued at north of $200 I'm slabbing).

It is just too cool to be able  to open up a book and thumb thru it, and like I said, issues 150-400 have so many awesome covers/stories.

And takes up less room this way - can't imagine how much space 1000 slabbed comics would take up ..... 

Edited by fishbone

There's something fishy in your post OH your avatar! Seriously, I agree with you wholeheartedly  there's nothing like going through the raw copies and letting yourself drift back to when you first got them. I had been a Spidey fan from the early 60's and NEVER thought to keep any issues (stupid), to be fair the U.S copies were rare here in the U.K but I did read the reprints from the British comics and they were black and white, maybe that's why I love the art more.   My own collection is 3.5 to 4.0 for the issues 3 to 100 then the rest I bought by subscription and the spin-offs so I'm happy and on nights of the full Moon I lay them out on the floor and howl while doing a wee dance. 

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

There's something fishy in your post OH your avatar! Seriously, I agree with you wholeheartedly  there's nothing like going through the raw copies and letting yourself drift back to when you first got them. I had been a Spidey fan from the early 60's and NEVER thought to keep any issues (stupid), to be fair the U.S copies were rare here in the U.K but I did read the reprints from the British comics and they were black and white, maybe that's why I love the art more.   My own collection is 3.5 to 4.0 for the issues 3 to 100 then the rest I bought by subscription and the spin-offs so I'm happy and on nights of the full Moon I lay them out on the floor and howl while doing a wee dance. 

Spidey comics were my first obsession pre-puberty, even more-so than girls (!), and there is still a thrill in opening those books from time-to-time, , especially from late 70's to early 80's,  and getting all nostalgic

:x

Nothing like the excitement of seeing the latest Spidey you have been waiting all month for right there on the spinner rack !  (No matter what your personal comic "magic-age" was.)  I still remember 7-year-old me, pedalling my bike back home, Spidey #103 in-hand, and being p*ss*d that they went up to 20 cents.  I vowed I was going to drop comics if they ever went up to a quarter.  (Yeah, right...)

Amen to that Spider-MEN I love my babies. While being a comic fan I've only ever gotten complete collections of the following books:  1/  Spider-man (of course) still missing AF 15 and number 1 Amazing and need a better copy of number 2) 

2/ Tomb of Dracula comics and magazines Gene Colan is a great artist and tales to get your teeth into. (ouch)

3/ Werewolf by night 70's eye candy a very hairy scary comic.(ouch)

4/ The Monster of Frankenstein   another great title made up from many parts (ouch) .  

On 1/29/2018 at 2:57 PM, SECollector said:

Hey!

I have been for a long time contemplating to go for an ASM run. I have by now read the silver age issues through my Omnibus books (nice editions by the way) and the itch to collect the real thing just doesn't fade away. I own by now an AF15, a nice #1 (CGC 7.5) and some random issues between #60 and #70. I just love the art, stories and covers and it will be awesome to hunt for them all. I would love to begin with the 12-cents issues and take it from there. I would be more than happy with a run in a consistent F/VF condition.

What I really can't decide is whether I should (or would like to) go for an all graded run, or go for some selected graded issues (probably 1-10, 14, 15, 20, 41 and 50 as CGC 7.0 - 7.5) and the rest of them raw in F/VF - VF grade.

It will be awesome to be able to read the original books, but living in Europe, my purchases will be mainly on-line (and therefore not able to check the books closely) which makes graded books feel "safer" and limit my buying venues for raw books to a few selected and trusted selling venues (that grade accurately and disclose restoration).

How have others in these boards gone for similar runs? I would love to hear other collectors' experiences and opinions.

Cheers!

Why no graded 13?  IMO that is the toughest one to find in a good grade at a reasonable price.  That black edge along the cover which shows frays/creases along with the rest of the cover being white which is often tanned make that one a challenge.  It really is a beautiful book though that I would love to own.  I would trade my 7.0 181 for a nice copy if possible. 

4 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

Why no graded 13?  IMO that is the toughest one to find in a good grade at a reasonable price.  That black edge along the cover which shows frays/creases along with the rest of the cover being white which is often tanned make that one a challenge.  It really is a beautiful book though that I would love to own.  I would trade my 7.0 181 for a nice copy if possible. 

13 is in my list as well. I love Mysterio and the cover of #13 indeed tough. I will try to find a nicely centered one, which - in my understanding - is not an easy task. The white border on the low edge of the cover is very often tilted.

A lot of love here for 41.  I’ve always liked 43 better.  A great Rhino cover too.  yeah, not quite as good as 41 and it’s not the 1st app, but it is the 1st “true” MJ story/date.  Under-rated book, much like 31, when you consider the importance to the Spidey mythos.

Question: why do people stop at 50 when the storyline finishes at 52?

I'm a run collector, so I'd say go up to at least 102, but 1-52 are the essentials.  I'd buy them graded and crack them out, A) for space, B) for enjoyment, C) so you don't get in a twist if the number grades don't match up exactly.

13 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Question: why do people stop at 50 when the storyline finishes at 52?

I'm a run collector, so I'd say go up to at least 102, but 1-52 are the essentials.  I'd buy them graded and crack them out, A) for space, B) for enjoyment, C) so you don't get in a twist if the number grades don't match up exactly.

I agree on all your points, but I wouldn't have the nerve to crack out big $ books, for other reasons. Mostly keeping it easy for others to resell when the time comes, or easier for me to upgrade them if I ever decide. I would be happy to crack out however non-key post-Ditko issues for all the reasons you stated.

27 minutes ago, makeminemego1 said:

I recently started putting together 20-131 (all keys are accounted for, only about 15 books left).  I prefer raw, but there are a few slabbed; 40,121,122,129.  

The slabbed books "bug" me.  I'll probably crack them out.  

Good luck with your hunt for the last 15! How about 1-19? :wink:

4 hours ago, SECollector said:

Is there a general consensus about the end of the silver age ASM run? Would #122 with the death of Gwen Stacy be a good ending point for an ASM SA run?

Spidey die-hards will be more informed as to a soft ending to the SA, certainly, but I think the drug issues, Morbius intro, death of Gwen and GG, are all solidly Bronze.

Don't forget Marvel Super-heroes issue 14 Ross Andru's first work for a Spider title and personally I consider it to be an unofficial 59 ½. The comic itself features this caption:

"When Jazzy Johnny sprained his wrist, our old pal Ross Andru came to the rescue with this replacement Spidey yarn! But then Johnny made his deadline after all! Since we can't bear to leave this mixed-up little masterpiece slumbering on the shelf, here it is, pilgrim--a once-in-a-lifetime treat for you--!"

6 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Spidey die-hards will be more informed as to a soft ending to the SA, certainly, but I think the drug issues, Morbius intro, death of Gwen and GG, are all solidly Bronze.

There is a really interesting essay written by Arlond Blumberg about the death of Gwen Stacy and the birth of the darker Bronze Age. There are probably many factors that define a soft border between ages, but I really liked this analysis of an event that really ended in some ways an age of innocence and idealism and started another one of more realism. I would definitely recommend this read: The Night Gwen Stacy Died, by Arnold T. Blumberg 

Edited by SECollector

5 hours ago, SECollector said:

Is there a general consensus about the end of the silver age ASM run? Would #122 with the death of Gwen Stacy be a good ending point for an ASM SA run?

I'd go to 75, first 15 cent issue, and last issue in the tablet of time storyline.

Again, I'm a run collector, so I'd recommend going up to 194.  A lot of 80's collectors started at 200, so things get common from there.

5 hours ago, SECollector said:

There is a really interesting essay written by Arlond Blumberg about the death of Gwen Stacy and the birth of the darker Bronze Age. There are probably many factors that define a soft border between ages, but I really liked this analysis of an event that really ended in some ways an age of innocence and idealism and started another one of more realism. I would definitely recommend this read: The Night Gwen Stacy Died, by Arnold T. Blumberg 

that link is not working for me...

10 minutes ago, SECollector said:

Hi Alex! Check it out now, I have edited it and it should work.

great article, if perhaps a bit long. thanks for sharing that! i totally agree w that assessment too. the birth of punisher and wolverine very clearly spring from this moment in comics. question: did the whole gwen stacy clone storyline undo some of the power and permanence of gwen stacy’s death? did it foretell marvel’s inability to ever let a character really die? (see elektra, phoenix, gwen, etc)