• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"A shot -in-the-dark": Anyone ever seen the OA to these British Marvel works?

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I still have about 350 unidentified British Marvel work circa 1974-1978, so I thought I'd post some of them here to see if any of you might have and/or seen the OA, which could help ID the artists.  

Again, I know the odds are low, but it's worth a try.  

Or you could try your hand at guessing the artist, or if nothing else, see some cool Bronze Age Marvel artwork you have probably never seen before (unless you lived in the UK)!

Think I'll try posting them in batches of four, and see how it goes. :)

Liberty Legion Centrespread (1977):  An interesting Kirby-style landscape poster.  My best guesses are either Pat Gabriele (who passed away before I could check with him) or "maybe" Keith Giffen (who I have never been able to contact), but could be another artist.

Avengers/Conan cover (1975): No good idea on this one, but it was published at a time that several Atlas/Seaboard artists (e.g. Chaykin, Buckler, Abel, Milgrom, Kupperberg) were doing some British Marvel cover work, since Atlas had just gone out of business.   Not Pollard or Milgrom  on pencils (maybe his inks, according to Al).  Dan Adkins? Ed Hannigan?

Fool Killer splash (1976):  Has a familiar look to it, style wise.  Not Vicente Alcazar, James Sherman, David Wenzel, Mike Nasser/Netzer or Val Mayerik.  Have a feeling it is someone who worked out of Continuity Studios, but just a guess.

Planet of the Apes cover (1976): Sorta "Suttonesque."  Not Al Milgrom, Val Mayerik, or David Wenzel.   Read in an old thread that the OA was stolen from a Minnesota Comic Shop about 15 years ago, so we know it survived through the 90s.

sm 207 159 gabriele or giffen jan 77 giffen buildings.jpg

a102 001 adkins  aj vd or eh not pollard rb.jpg

dl 86 UK (wolfscan-DCP)   alcazar chan not dw or sherman june 76 salmons MN MED.jpg

poa 83_001 rw  not am mayerik dw.JPG

15 minutes ago, cesium_7 said:

Hi everyone,

I still have about 350 unidentified British Marvel work circa 1974-1978, so I thought I'd post some of them here to see if any of you might have and/or seen the OA, which could help ID the artists.  

Again, I know the odds are low, but it's worth a try.  

Or you could try your hand at guessing the artist, or if nothing else, see some cool Bronze Age Marvel artwork you have probably never seen before (unless you lived in the UK)!

Think I'll try posting them in batches of four, and see how it goes. :)

Liberty Legion Centrespread (1977):  An interesting Kirby-style landscape poster.  My best guesses are either Pat Gabriele (who passed away before I could check with him) or "maybe" Keith Giffen (who I have never been able to contact), but could be another artist.

Avengers/Conan cover (1975): No good idea on this one, but it was published at a time that several Atlas/Seaboard artists (e.g. Chaykin, Buckler, Abel, Milgrom, Kupperberg) were doing some British Marvel cover work, since Atlas had just gone out of business.   Not Pollard or Milgrom  on pencils (maybe his inks, according to Al).  Dan Adkins? Ed Hannigan?

Fool Killer splash (1976):  Has a familiar look to it, style wise.  Not Vicente Alcazar, James Sherman, David Wenzel, Mike Nasser/Netzer or Val Mayerik.  Have a feeling it is someone who worked out of Continuity Studios, but just a guess.

Planet of the Apes cover (1976): Sorta "Suttonesque."  Not Al Milgrom, Val Mayerik, or David Wenzel.   Read in an old thread that the OA was stolen from a Minnesota Comic Shop about 15 years ago, so we know it survived through the 90s.

sm 207 159 gabriele or giffen jan 77 giffen buildings.jpg

a102 001 adkins  aj vd or eh not pollard rb.jpg

dl 86 UK (wolfscan-DCP)   alcazar chan not dw or sherman june 76 salmons MN MED.jpg

poa 83_001 rw  not am mayerik dw.JPG

Honestly, that Avengers cover looks like it has a mix of art styles on it. The Vision and the Conan look like they were by different artists than the rest of the cover. If I had to guess, I'd go with Buckler. But, maybe that Vision and Conan are stats?

I think you might be on to something with the Buckler ID, especially the left side of the drawing.  Conan and flame doesn’t look much like him, but maybe one of his studio artists at the time (like Pat Gabriele?). 

Only problem is, I checked my records, and Buckler told me he didn’t draw this.  However,  I have found he said that about a few he did and did not draw, so he did make some mistakes identifying his old work (as many artists do).  That’s why the OA is so great for this stuff (as long as there are some identifiers on it). 

Edited by cesium_7
Additional info

Here are a few more unidentified British Marvel works

Ghost Rider splash (1976):  Not Wenzel, Bob Hall, Bob Layton, or Arvell Jones.   Early JR jr? 

Spider-man and Vision (MTU) splash (1976):  Not Jim Craig or Jeff Aclin. 

Planet of the Apes slash (1976): Rogers, Golden, Broderick? Or Aubrey Bradford?

Dracula cover (1976): Some think it's Gene Colan, others not.....

Thor (M21) splash (1976):  No idea on this one, but familiar looking.  Not Wenzel, Paty Cockru,m or Bob Layton.

t38 Ghost Rider ms 9 not dw hall bl ms jul 76jr said his.jpg

sm 196_030  mg not jc ja nov 76 JR said his.jpg

poa 107_part1 GOLDEN or Broderick  or Rogers nov 76.jpg

dl 78 DL #78 att colan not dw.jpg

sm 169_026 abel  pb not dw pc bl.JPG