• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Chipping & Grading ASM #1
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hi fellow boardies.  I was wondering if I can get an opinion on what would be the max grade on a comic with marvel chipping.   I have an ASM#1 CGC 5.0 which can be greatly enhanced via pressing but not sure if it would matter due to the marvel chipping.   Don’t want to go through the process for no point. That and I’m affraid if losing page quality on the rest submit.   Current book has white pages.  I had sent in a ASM 129 9.4 a while back and got the same grade but lost my white pages.   

Your thought and feedback are appreciated 

thanks 

Edited by Diaolos

2 hours ago, Diaolos said:

Hi fellow boardies.  I was wondering if I can get an opinion on what would be the max grade on a comic with marvel chipping.   I have an ASM#1 CGC 5.0 which can be greatly enhanced via pressing but not sure if it would matter due to the marvel chipping.   Don’t want to go through the process for no point. That and I’m affraid if losing page quality on the rest submit.   Current book has white pages.  I had sent in a ASM 129 9.4 a while back and got the same grade but lost my white pages.   

Your thought and feedback are appreciated 

thanks 

Can we see a scan to properly assess the extent and degree of the chipping? It does matter.

This is the best the best picture I could find. I have it locked up with some other goodies.  Thanks for responding   Chipping on front cover only  top right  

768CD2B3-CF96-407F-AC49-53B1294EC2E6.jpeg

Edited by Diaolos

The chipping is fairly deep (eats in from right to left to a moderate degree) and is along approx. 30% the length of the right edge (about 3 inches), so although it could be worse, it's an appreciable amount of moderate chipping. Since it's a light color cover, the visual impact is not as drastically stark as if on a cover with darker colors, like #2, #4, #7, #9, and others. But it is there nonetheless and will factor greatly into the overall grade. Although chipping is a production defect, these are missing pieces and are considered as such by the CGC in the grade.

Now I've seen many 1963 CGC graded Marvels with similar chipping on what looked to be a book of otherwise NM- or better quality graded as much as 7.0, but typically, 6.5.

I can't really make out if this piece has the type of defects that might be helped by a pressing, but since it is graded 5.0 already, my feeling is that it's already nearing the upper limit of 6.5 to 7.0 headroom that it may attain if there's really nothing else in the way of tangible defects aside from the chipping itself.

Mind you, there may be some pressable defects I can't see that could get this up to 5.5 or 6.0, but keep in mind that with that much chipping to that degree, 6.5 or miraculously a 7.0 would be the upper limit, this based on my observations of similarly chipped Marvels issued in this or neighboring years.

I really appropriate the time you took to write back and provide your thoughts.   The book has never been pressed and I know that a good pressing will jump the grade but was worried that I would be stuck at 5.0 no matter what due to the chipping.   I noticed that CGC now offers a pressing service.   Are the any good?

If anyone has any other books that are graded and that have marvel chipping I would love to see them to compare.  

So far it seems I should press.

The picture is so blurry I cannot comment on whether a press would help. Do you have the grader's notes ? The notes usually help more than a pic, especially with a book already in a slab. The slab hides and flattens out light folds. I would suggest you think hard about a resubmit. You do not want to chance losing that White page designation. That alone adds value and makes the book more desirable. Also, the area of the chipping is usually fragile, susceptible to damage. Why risk all the handling and added 'pressure'(pun intended) for the sake of maybe squeezing out a .5 bump. It could all backfire on you.

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The picture is so blurry I cannot comment on whether a press would help. Do you have the grader's notes ? The notes usually help more than a pic, especially with a book already in a slab. The slab hides and flattens out light folds. I would suggest you think hard about a resubmit. You do not want to chance losing that White page designation. That alone adds value and makes the book more desirable. Also, the area of the chipping is usually fragile, susceptible to damage. Why risk all the handling and added 'pressure'(pun intended) for the sake of maybe squeezing out a .5 bump. It could all backfire on you.

+1

I wouldn't resubmit either....also due to the chipping :foryou:

Hi guys. Sorry for being absent especially in a topic I started and was looking for help in.   I appreciate everyone’s help and input.  I will take everyone’s advice and keep it as it.  I have never been on the winning end of a resubmit.  Lost white pages on an ASM 129 and lost half a grade on a TOS 52    It’s toobad. If it was not for the chipping a press would definitely bring up the grade. 

Thanks again everyone. !