• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Kid You Not... My Number One Grail!

15 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, Weird Paper said:

So, after seven years of obsessing over this page, I've finally landed it! If this was an ordinary acquisition, I'd just post it in the "This Week..."  But this is no ordinary acquisition. This has been my number one want since I knew of its existence and whereabouts. And today, it's finally here! One of the most spectacular splash pages of the Bronze Age (imho)...
Nestor Redondo.

Black Orchid.

Splash.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1449654

Congratulations Roger!  I'm glad you were able to land your grail!

Malvin

for sure its a sweet page. left a comment on CAF. in your story - you never say where the obsession came from? or what it is about it that got you interested in this piece. would love to hear more if you feel like it.  I am lucky to have a couple such items (elflord cover and xmen master of kung fu cover)- also not worth much but which I wanted for a long time and couldn't believe it when I got them.

3 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

So, after seven years of obsessing over this page, I've finally landed it! If this was an ordinary acquisition, I'd just post it in the "This Week..."  But this is no ordinary acquisition. This has been my number one want since I knew of its existence and whereabouts. And today, it's finally here! One of the most spectacular splash pages of the Bronze Age (imho)...
Nestor Redondo.

Black Orchid.

Splash.

Congrats!  What's the significance of the page for you?

56 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

for sure its a sweet page. left a comment on CAF. in your story - you never say where the obsession came from? or what it is about it that got you interested in this piece. would love to hear more if you feel like it.  I am lucky to have a couple such items (elflord cover and xmen master of kung fu cover)- also not worth much but which I wanted for a long time and couldn't believe it when I got them.

Ditto! I’m interested in what makes it so special to you!

4 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

Nestor Redondo.

Black Orchid.

Splash.

Thrilled for you. I said as much on CAF, but that's a great thing to hear. 

14 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

There's not so much a nostalgic component, though I was buying the issues of Adventure and Phantom Stranger off the stands when she made her first appearance. What it really stemmed from was wanting a really nice Redondo example. There's not an enormous body of his work in the U.S. -- a few Orchid stories, Rima, Swamp Thing, the Bible book and some other miscellany. Most of it was being gobbled up by one bsd collector. I'd missed out on the few Black Orchid pages that had surfaced, but finally scored some Rima pages a few years back. Then when I saw this splash, it just punched all the buttons... the rendering, the composition, the stunning image of BO swooping into the sky, the interesting perspective of the background city... to say nothing of Nestor Redondo's inspired brushwork. Just look at the signature! That's the signature of a man who'd just contentedly latticed his fingers over his belly and leaned the chair back with a satisfied smile and the realization that he'd swung the sledge hammer and rung the bell. Collectors are driven by obsessions and this one became mine.