• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Appreciating Church Copies More Than Ever

14 posts in this topic

I was shown 7 Wings comics today.  2, 4, 6-8, 10-11.  The images I saw beforehand (front cover IPhone pics) gave me the impression they were VF.  Sure I new the interiors could be brittle. but the seller was telling me how supple the pages were - "not brittle at all."

So I meet the seller today, take the books out of the envelope, and my heart leaps - beautiful copies!  Then my heart breaks, the spines are all split.  Right on the edge of the spine.  For no reason other than age.  I still bought them but at a fraction of what I would have happily paid.

It's really f'ing hard to find an 75-80 year old comic book in top condition.  It makes the existence of the Church copies even more amazing.  Thank god for Edgar Church and the collectors preserving his books.

31 minutes ago, Moondog said:

I was shown 7 Wings comics today.  2, 4, 6-8, 10-11.  The images I saw beforehand (front cover IPhone pics) gave me the impression they were VF.  Sure I new the interiors could be brittle. but the seller was telling me how supple the pages were - "not brittle at all."

So I meet the seller today, take the books out of the envelope, and my heart leaps - beautiful copies!  Then my heart breaks, the spines are all split.  Right on the edge of the spine.  For no reason other than age.  I still bought them but at a fraction of what I would have happily paid.

It's really f'ing hard to find an 75-80 year old comic book in top condition.  It makes the existence of the Church copies even more amazing.  Thank god for Edgar Church and the collectors preserving his books.

It does, although I have the Church copy of Comics 8.  Beautiful book ... except for a humongous spine split that led to its being graded 1.8 by CGC. Not sure how the split happened.  I wonder if Edgar actually read it? :whatthe:

15 hours ago, Moondog said:

It makes the existence of the Church copies even more amazing.

Somewhere out beyond the boundraies of our reality there is an alternate universe in which Edgar never existed, all GA comics have brittle pages, and the hobby is universally derided. How lucky we are!

2 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:
17 hours ago, Moondog said:

It makes the existence of the Church copies even more amazing.

Somewhere out beyond the boundraies of our reality there is an alternate universe in which Edgar never existed, all GA comics have brittle pages, and the hobby is universally derided. How lucky we are!

There is another alternate universe where paper doesn't age, colors don't fade, and prices don't rise.

After seeing the title and reading the first post I assumed that Gary was telling us of the tragic spine splits on Church copies of Wings Comics.

Don't scare me like this! :eek: