• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Youngblood By Chad Bowers And Jim Towe

8 posts in this topic

I know this looks like a joke, but is anyone else following this series? It's actually pretty dang good, with great art and a surprisingly decent story. If I'm honest, it's actually the book on my pull list I most look forward to. Never would have thought I'd ever say that about bloody Youngblood of all things, but there you go. It's just a ton of fun. 

Anyone else reading this series? Enjoying it? 

Love it. One of two moderns I'm buying right now. I only read the first few issues of the original series before I gave up, but I was still able to get some of the in-jokes with the new series. I've been trying to pick up the variants for each issue just for the love of collecting. Great stuff. Actually headed out now to grab issue 8 since work was crazy this week.

I've actually also started getting some of the variants, again just for the fun of it. I was able to get the foil-stamped Retailer's Edition of #1 for only $12AU, including shipping, iirc. Seemed an appropriate thing to have, given the series' roots in the Chromium Age. :smile:

I will say the series is getting better with each issue now, yet I still find myself nervous at the thought that Liefeld will pull the plug on it at any random moment. I'd genuinely hate to lose this book. 

It's just got such heavy baggage due to the original 90's material, but this is a complete night-and-day from that. Hell, people complain about decompression and writing for the trade, and how you don't get runs like Claremont's Uncanny anymore where plots can simmer: this book does that! We're seeing things in #8 that link back to something first seen offhand in #2, for example. It's taking a longer term approach with the writing, it's fresh, now it just needs some support to help everything see to fruition. 

I'm late on this, but bad news for the book: artist Jim Towe is leaving following issue 11. This is devastating, as his style was a huge part of the book's charm. Let's hope we get an actual replacement that's not Rob himself, and hopefully someone with something unique to offer the book, so it continues to stand out. 

Sigh. Things couldn't look worse for this book. Just..... such a shame. Such a shame. 

https://www.newsarama.com/41226-youngblood-14-cancelled-spinning-off-into-image-comics-event.html

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

On 8/10/2018 at 4:56 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Sigh. Things couldn't look worse for this book. Just..... such a shame. Such a shame. 

https://www.newsarama.com/41226-youngblood-14-cancelled-spinning-off-into-image-comics-event.html

I want to be mad, but I should’ve known better. What’s that story about the scorpion and the frog...? 🧐