• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 CGC 3.5 vs Cap 1 CGC 3.5
3 3

106 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, jabats said:

I think 20/25 sounds just about right! Aside from the other resto it loses a little value because of the trimming. But it’s still a Bats 1!!

Thanks for all the input guys, I have a general idea of what a fair CMV would be. I enjoyed pulling it out as I had forgot how much I love this book resto or not. It presents well and its just such and iconic cover imho. I figure I will repost this ???? in another 10 more years and see where we are with it .  Note: I was thinking & today I would not be able to afford this book at $25k ( and I assume a lot of my other books) which makes me a bit sad that the hobby has reached a point  where the average collector ( at least the average guys I know lol) would not be able to afford many of the iconic books of our hobby. When I started as a kid in 1979 pretty much every book was in reach with a little saving & hussle & imho that kinda sucks. Anyway thanks again for the help and have a great weekend!

Edited by Frank Mozz

True, but there's always hope to make a lucky find? Last year a German "grail", a promotional issue/booklet of the first Mickey Mouse Magazine from 1951 was pulled out of a wastepaper container (pressed between other, non-comic book material from that time period). Less than 10 copies are known to exist.

Edited by Pickie
spelling

3 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

Thanks for all the input guys, I have a general idea of what a fair CMV would be. I enjoyed pulling it out as I had forgot how much I love this book resto or not. It presents well and its just such and iconic cover imho. I figure I will repost this ???? in another 10 more years and see where we are with it .  Note: I was thinking & today I would not be able to afford this book at $25k ( and I assume a lot of my other books) which makes me a bit sad that the hobby has reached a point  where the average collector ( at least the average guys I know lol) would not be able to afford many of the iconic books of our hobby. When I started as a kid in 1979 pretty much every book was in reach with a little saving & hussle & imho that kinda sucks. Anyway thanks again for the help and have a great weekend!

You should post a pic if you can.

Cap stumbled out of the gate instantly trailing Batman by 4-5 links. We still have yet hit the first turn and somehow Cap miraculously has nosed ahead of Batman. :whatthe:

Pace yourselves guys. Remember this is a marathon (3+ weeks) and not a sprint.

Will one comic grab the lead and hold it or are we in for a back and forth?

20 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I'm actually very curious as to what the Cap 1 4.0 Q will go for (my ungraded copy has a married Cf too and is about the same grade).  Right now I'm shocked at how low it is compared to the blue 3.5.

It has  some spine split issues that make it seem a bit overgraded as well, but I'd still probably take it over the 3.5

23 hours ago, rjpb said:

It has  some spine split issues that make it seem a bit overgraded as well, but I'd still probably take it over the 3.5

I'm curious too, but with 3 weeks to go these prices mean pretty much nothing.  In 2 weeks maybe the "Stay away from my comic!" bids will be there, but the final 10 seconds is where it counts.  I'd guess the green 4.0 will be $30k+ or $40k+  $10k a point for most seems right to me. 

1 hour ago, Knightsofold said:

I'm curious too, but with 3 weeks to go these prices mean pretty much nothing.  In 2 weeks maybe the "Stay away from my comic!" bids will be there, but the final 10 seconds is where it counts.  I'd guess the green 4.0 will be $30k+ or $40k+  $10k a point for most seems right to me. 

A 1.5 went for $70.000 in Dec.  Do you think a 4.0 Q will only hit $40k?  It has an original CF from a different copy married into it.  

52 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

lots of auction time left. I wouldn't be surprised if the 4.0 green copy went for $50k-$60k...

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

A 1.5 went for $70.000 in Dec.  Do you think a 4.0 Q will only hit $40k?  It has an original CF from a different copy married into it.  

I just think 10k per point is a decent estimate for green due to married pages.

I'm sure if I was buying it would be more than 40k.

And if I was selling it would be less than 40k.  :facepalm:

Edited by Knightsofold

How much does it hurt the  Cap 1 having the married centerfold, and why would this be the case?  Seems to me this is much preferable to a Qualified with some other designations, like missing a chunk of a page or something like that.   Does it really make the price (which we of course don't know yet) a half or a third of what a blue label would get?  Seems to me like a great way to get a decent copy at a decent price (not like I can afford it).  I never realized married pages hurt value so much.

On 2/3/2018 at 6:18 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Batman > Captain America 

Tec 27 > Captain America Comics 1 

But

Captain America Comics 1 > Batman 1

Cap 1 by one winged cowl.  

(what, I'm not biased :shy: )

-J.

I love the Batman 1 but have to agree.   

Bat 1 is not the first appearance (and the cover of Cap 1 beats any early Bat book except maybe Detective 31)

But Bat 1 is still absurdly undervalued compared to prices paid for Superman 1 which is all reprint except for a few pages and is not the first comic book devoted to a superhero. (That would be Thimble Theater #1)

5 hours ago, mwotka said:

How much does it hurt the  Cap 1 having the married centerfold, and why would this be the case?  Seems to me this is much preferable to a Qualified with some other designations, like missing a chunk of a page or something like that.   Does it really make the price (which we of course don't know yet) a half or a third of what a blue label would get?  Seems to me like a great way to get a decent copy at a decent price (not like I can afford it).  I never realized married pages hurt value so much.

The green label qualified 4.0 Cap 1 was an incomplete 0.5 blue label before someone added the missing pages.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

18 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

The green label qualified 4.0 Cap 1 was an incomplete 0.5 blue label before someone added the missing pages.  

-J.

Don't think so ...

CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #1 CGC 4.0 QUALIFIED (Incomplete/CF missing) SOLD FOR $22,472

http://www.comiclink.com/text/321.html

Ain't for nothing I'm into Detective -_-

Edited by Gotham Kid