• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 CGC 3.5 vs Cap 1 CGC 3.5
3 3

106 posts in this topic

I'm also interested in the All American #16 cgc 6.5 vs Batman #1 cgc 7.0 race although the All-American is getting killed now... can it significantly close the gap?...its like 150k for the batman #1 to 81 k for the AA #16. 

I know Batman is way more popular but there's 5 times more blue lable Batman #1s.  I'll likely get roasted for saying this here, but I like the AA 16 Cover more...and given the relative rarity I'd rather have that one.

10 minutes ago, szavisca said:

I'm also interested in the All American #16 cgc 6.5 vs Batman #1 cgc 7.0 race although the All-American is getting killed now... can it significantly close the gap?...its like 150k for the batman #1 to 81 k for the AA #16. 

I know Batman is way more popular but there's 5 times more blue lable Batman #1s.  I'll likely get roasted for saying this here, but I like the AA 16 Cover more...and given the relative rarity I'd rather have that one.

You're not going to get roasted because I actually agree with you in this one. It's not every auction you see an AA 16 restored or unrestored. It's truly something special when one hits the market.

14 hours ago, szavisca said:

The Heritage description for the Bat #1 states " The issue is currently ranked #4 in value on Overstreet's Top 100 Golden Age Comics, but that could change within the near future, as it chases down the current #3 -- All-American Comics #16 "

That can't be right can it, is AA#16 the #3 book in Overstreet? I thought everything else was a distant 4th to Action 1, Tec 27 and Supe 1?

But I wouldn't be surprised if the AA 16 can't catch where the Bat 1 is now, let alone what the final price might be.

4 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Bats & Cap 3.5s are tied at $101,575

The Cap1 auction bid is artificial. It was raised by Heritage (by almost 30K) to one bid below reserve amount.

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

The Cap1 auction bid is artificial. It was raised by Heritage (by almost 30K) to one bid below reserve amount.

Exactly.  If the reserve were set at $1 million, the current “bid” would show as an increment below $1 million. 

Pretty unusual to see a reserve in a Heritage auction.  Can’t remember the last time I saw one — not that I don’t forget things!

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

If I were bidding on the Cap1, which I'm not, and a reserve was set mid auction, I would drop out.

Not sure I would drop out especially on a book I wanted that should clear the artificial reserve by a mile. I can't see this book tanking but it does seems some got nervous and put the reserve in. 

I guess HA expects these type comics to be bid to within 90% of sell price in couple days sit stagnant for 3 weeks then another flurry at the end. 

21 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

The Heritage description for the Bat #1 states " The issue is currently ranked #4 in value on Overstreet's Top 100 Golden Age Comics, but that could change within the near future, as it chases down the current #3 -- All-American Comics #16 "

That can't be right can it, is AA#16 the #3 book in Overstreet? I thought everything else was a distant 4th to Action 1, Tec 27 and Supe 1?

But I wouldn't be surprised if the AA 16 can't catch where the Bat 1 is now, let alone what the final price might be.

AA 16 is 4th in Overstreet.  Here's the top 20 per the 47th edition......

20180216_095554.jpg

21 minutes ago, Tsp99 said:

AA 16 is 4th in Overstreet.  Here's the top 20 per the 47th edition......

Thanks for posting - kind of what I thought with the Big 3 being far in front.

My guess is that eventually AA16 drops down to at least 7th as Bat 1, Cap 1, and Marvel 1 all pass it in price.

7 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Thanks for posting - kind of what I thought with the Big 3 being far in front.

My guess is that eventually AA16 drops down to at least 7th as Bat 1, Cap 1, and Marvel 1 all pass it in price.

If you’re a math geek like me you’ll notice there’s something really odd about the way the value by grade scales for AA 16 in the OPG.  In the lower grades the prices are skewed like  silver age books.

For example the 6.0 value is less than 1/10th the 9.2 value, and the 8.0 is less than 1/4th the 9.2... most 6.0 GA are 1/6th and 8.0s are 2/5th of the 9.2 values.

Seems like OPG doesn’t have its numbers quite right and maybe a 9.2 should be 400k or alternatively the lower grades should list higher.

Will definitely be interesting seeing where this one hammers, it is the 3rd highest graded.

18 minutes ago, szavisca said:

If you’re a math geek like me you’ll notice there’s something really odd about the way the value by grade scales for AA 16 in the OPG.  In the lower grades the prices are skewed like  silver age books.

I noticed that in the Heritage listings where it lists the OPG prices. In 2.0 Bat 1 is almost double AA16, but AA16 is higher in 9.2, I think this is a nod to the rarity of the book in grade. Until the Bangzoom copy gets graded, we might not see another 9.0 universal copy.

Might be one of the rare times where Overstreet has it right (not the price of course, which they rarely do - but the spread).