• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT COMPLETE COMIC-BOOK RUNS HAVE YOU SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED ?
5 5

115 posts in this topic

I've always had a real soft spot for DCs 50s adventure comics like Frontier Fighters and Legends of Daniel Boone. I think that fascination started when I saw a couple of the covers in the preface of the Fireside book, America At War

Anyhoo, I managed to find a copy of Legends of Daniel Boone #6 and then through an ebay seller, got all the other issues in the series in one shot. None of them are high grade (good luck with all that) but I was very happy to get all 8 issues in the series. Several of these were considered scarce/hard to find in the pre-ebay days. Not so much anymore though.

Edited by Jerkfro

If we are talking absolutely complete runs (not something like Batman 201-500)

I am only counting runs that amount to 100 or more issues so while I have or at one point HAD complete runs of Valiant titles, I am not going into that. 

The Amazing Spider-man Run

• Amazing Adventures 1-6
  • Amazing Adult Fantasy 7-14
  • Amazing Fantasy 15
  • Amazing Spider-man 1 - Current (803?) + Annuals

GI Joe (Marvel) - Since sold.

• GI Joe 1-155 + Annuals
  • GI Joe Special Missions 1-28
  • GI Joe Order of Battle 1-4
  • GI Joe 

Complete Runs of anything published under the Eternal Warrior banner both under the original and new Valiant moniker as well as Acclaim. (Adds up to over 100 issues) 

Web of Spider-man - Complete Set + Annuals - Since Sold 

It's not impressive, but I have the entire New 52 Justice League run. #0-#52, #23.1-#23.4, Future's End, and 7 Darkseid War issues.

It only costed about $200. I bought the whole lot on eBay, but it had 3 variant covers (despite the listing saying there were none), so I had to search and buy the directs for those.

I also have the entire Civil War series thanks to the Marvel slipcase sets that they published a couple of years ago.

Like I said, not impressive, but they make me happy.:whee:

FF1-100 (but broken up at the moment since I got rid of 2 and 3)  this one is lower grade...took about 3-4 years or less.  I probably will not complete it with 2 and 3 again...thinking of getting rid of FF5.  

Conan 1-200 and beyond...still intact

X-Men1-400 (I don't have #1 any more though...so 2-400)  this one took about 15 years

Almost have a complete JIM/Thor run from 83 to 200...but missing 83 :cry: and maybe 5 others.  

I think I was close to a complete Dr. Strange run from ST110 thru the Colan/Brunner series...but I got rid of ST110...so no more.  

I can't hold on to books when they get too valuable...too many other cool things out there!

Ones where I had to actually go back and assemble missing issues? -- Defenders 1-152, Iron Man 1-332, Avengers 1-402.

Finished Defenders first; started that title off the racks with #12. The first 11 took some time in the days of mail order catalogs on a grade school budget. 

Iron Man got knocked out next. I recall needing 37 issues under #100 sometime in the early 80's. I had saved $100 and my dad took me to an LCS about an hour from my house, known for back issue stock. I walked in the door with a plan and I knocked out all 37 issues (including the then-run book 55) with enough left for Avengers #2 and ASM 9. But I passed up the $100 JIM #83 to do it. I was really on the fence but I think the fact that my dad knew I wanted to get there to assemble the run tipped me in that direction. It's not a regret but a what if moment in my collecting history.

Avengers took longest and finished last. 137-up came new off the racks/from the LCS. I chipped away the early stuff over time, though I made a point of buying 93-100 soon after deciding to go for it; they seemed at the time like books that were going to be hot and pricey forever and I didn't want them getting out of high school budget reach. The turning point that made me decide to pursue it was a trade in 10th grade. My buddy, a budding artist, got a nice silver age collection with early runs of most titles. He traded me Avengers 3-19, ASM 17 and most of DD 2-10 (there was no 5 in the collection) for a Byrne page from Avengers 184, a great multi-character fight scene vs the absorbing man.

Avengers 1 came last, and it came on the same day as my first GA Cap, and it came with an undercopy of Avengers 4. The Cap was coincidence; separate deal. But it's cool to me that it was the same day. I traded an 18-book stack for the two Avengers books. It was a mix of keys, cannot recall all 18 but ASM 129 was what the guy really wanted, so there was that, Conan 1, Atom 1, a couple early GA Blackhawks, a really sharp SA Plastic Man 1; some other GA, a real mix.

There's a few larger runs I've pulled from #1 at the LCS but they are all traded away now -- DeMatteis Justice League, Morrison JLA, West Coast Avengers, etc. Probably the only long run I've traded away that I miss rereading is the Peter David Hulk run. The Morrison JLA tpb's are ubiquitous, so it's not hard to revisit.

My days of big runs are over; I will read and release smaller runs now but I am more focused on the various books I've wanted over the years and never pursued, rather than wanting to be an extensive completist. I'm working on a Kamandi run for read and release, and I've got The Demon sitting waiting to be read.

Oh and I need Yellow Claw 3&4, but that one is not getting released immediately after I read it!

I kind of hope I never complete my ASM run since I'm missing his first 2 appearances and the only way they will drop to a price I'm willing to pay will mean the market melted down and I wouldn't wish that (I have 2-500, and also FF 2-200, so same applies to FF 1).  I've got a few Golden Record Repr. placeholders, and plenty of 'keys' in form of Marvel Tales 1-32 and MCIC 1-24.

Also have some full runs like Hulk 1-6, Silver Surfer and Nick Fury 1-18s, Amazing Adventures 1-39 (I've since started work on Amazing Adv. vol 1, and still need AA 6, and 4 issues of Amazing Adult Fantasy), Captain Marvel 1-62, Fear 1- 31, Werewolf by Night 1-43, Howard the Duck 1-33, Warlock 1-15, Marvel Spotlight 1-33, stuff like Inhumans and Marvel Feature and Marv. Presents and Secret Wars 1-12, and partly completed runs like JiM/Thor 96-225 (just need a handful in 90s, and grail #83 remaining), Hulk 102-200, Avengers 1-200, X-Men/Uncanny 2-150 (excluding the reprints 67-93), Strange Tales 101-150, Tomb of Dracula 1-50, Master of Kung Fu 15-50, Marvel Premiere 1-25, Defenders 1-20, Dr. Strange 169-183 and 1-20.  And generally have the Annuals and Giant Size issues for applicable time periods and a few magazine runs like Epic, Rampaging Hulk and Howard the Duck complete.   Started buying golden age a couple of years ago, will probably never have a run of any of that stuff.

Edited by grebal
And Conan the Barbarian 1-50 !!

14 hours ago, grebal said:

I kind of hope I never complete my ASM run since I'm missing his first 2 appearances and the only way they will drop to a price I'm willing to pay will mean the market melted down and I wouldn't wish that (I have 2-700, and also FF 2-200, so same applies to FF 1).  I've got a few Golden Record Repr. placeholders, and plenty of 'keys' in form of Marvel Tales 1-32 and MCIC 1-24.

Also have some full runs like Hulk 1-6, Silver Surfer and Nick Fury 1-18s, Amazing Adventures 1-39 (I've since started work on Amazing Adv. vol 1, and still need AA 6, and 4 issues of Amazing Adult Fantasy), Captain Marvel 1-62, Fear 1- 31, Werewolf by Night 1-43, Howard the Duck 1-33, Warlock 1-15, Marvel Spotlight 1-33, stuff like Inhumans and Marvel Feature and Marv. Presents and Secret Wars 1-12, and partly completed runs like JiM/Thor 96-225 (just need a handful in 90s, and grail #83 remaining), Hulk 102-200, Avengers 1-200, X-Men/Uncanny 2-150 (excluding the reprints 67-93), Strange Tales 101-150, Tomb of Dracula 1-50, Master of Kung Fu 15-50, Marvel Premiere 1-25, Defenders 1-20, Dr. Strange 169-183 and 1-20.  And generally have the Annuals and Giant Size issues for applicable time periods and a few magazine runs like Epic, Rampaging Hulk and Howard the Duck complete.   Started buying golden age a couple of years ago, will probably never have a run of any of that stuff.

dang

Some Near complete Runs

ASM 1-100 + few keys after such as ASM121,129,194,238,300,361 and some filler  (only missing ASM 14, ASM 23, ASM 44 to complete the 1-100)

trying to get AF15 but need to save up some cash got about half of what I want to pay saved up so far.

ASM Annuals 5-28 (missing 1-4)

Batman New 52 + Annuals and #0 Blank Variant

ASM 1-present + annuals

Avengers 1-present + annuals

Captain America 100-present + annuals

Defenders 1-152

Doctor Strange 169-present

Incredible Hulk 102-present

Iron Man 1-present

Justice League Of America (1960) 1-261 + all series after

Marvel Team-Up

Marvel Two-In-One

Spectacular Spider-Man

Spider-Man (PPSM)

Uncanny X-Men 94-present

Web Of Spider-Man

Werewolf By Night

X-Men / New X-Men / X-Men / X-Men Legacy

X-Factor

X-Force

I didn't include a bunch of newer titles & shorter runs from Silver & Bronze ages. Probably have 50 or more of those.

Hawkman (1964) Vol. 1 (+ B&B/MIS runs)

The Atom (1962) Vol. 1 (+ Showcase run)

Currently finishing my Aquaman (1962) Vo. 1 run. I have completed his showcase run, and have acquired all major keys like AC 260, SC 30, and issues 11, 29, and 35. All I need is about 15 filler issues.

I love finishing runs, especially SA DC. I usually go for the expensive books first, but more often than not I don't ever start a run unless I already have a couple key books knocked out. For example I didn't start trying to get a Aquaman run until I looked at my collection, and saw that I already had a couple Aquaman keys, and decided to get the rest. From there it just takes time and patience, and a lot of eBay watching. I also plan on finishing my Shazam! (1973) run as well as my JLA (1960) Vol. 1 1-100 + B&B 28-30 run.

Edited by HuddyBee

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:41 PM, Pat Thomas said:

ASM 1-present + annuals

Avengers 1-present + annuals

Captain America 100-present + annuals

Defenders 1-152

Doctor Strange 169-present

Incredible Hulk 102-present

Iron Man 1-present

Justice League Of America (1960) 1-261 + all series after

Marvel Team-Up

Marvel Two-In-One

Spectacular Spider-Man

Spider-Man (PPSM)

Uncanny X-Men 94-present

Web Of Spider-Man

Werewolf By Night

X-Men / New X-Men / X-Men / X-Men Legacy

X-Factor

X-Force

I didn't include a bunch of newer titles & shorter runs from Silver & Bronze ages. Probably have 50 or more of those.

Wow! 

Ok current complete runs Re Firestorm Vol 1. and Vol.2 fury of firestorm, it was very easy as I bought fury set as whole and had to get issue 1 and 4 from vol 1. So it was easy, Firestorm one of my favorite title as a kid but entire thing was not super fulfilling but gettin close to daredevil vol 1 which has been challenging and expensive, just got a Cgc 4.0 #2, only keys I need are #1, and 131 and the very last issue and approx 20 other issues, so once I have done this very fulfilling, workin on Finding a swamp thing #1 of first series and then that will be complete. Almost meaning like 5 issues are spiderwoman vol1, Webof Spider-Man and sandman

It's a mini-run, but I had the top Miller Daredevil run in the CGC registry. Included three 9.9s and a bunch of books signed by Stan and Janson. Took several years and I always had to outbid the guy who now has the top run. I sold him one of my 9.9s, so he's going to be on top for a while (I think he has five 9.9s now).