• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT COMPLETE COMIC-BOOK RUNS HAVE YOU SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED ?
5 5

115 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

and although I now have a couple of SC22s I never finished that GL run. Think I am missing 7, and just don't like the cover.

Hmmm .. I had not thought about that, for 30 years, but guess I really should finish it and improve the grade on some issues

I had a long-winded version here, so edited.  My runs are limited to the main Hulk and Spidey keys.  I completed a run of the nine photo-composite covers with city (presumably NYC!) backgrounds.  If i find a tenth or more, I will hunt them down.  

Edited by Pantodude
too long

Not a large list, but here we go:

Fantasy Masterpieces 1-11 complete.

Captain Marvel 1-62 complete.

Amazing Adventures (vol 2) 1-10 (Inhumans).

Inhumans 1-12 complete.

Thor 146-152 (origin of the Inhumans).

Ms Marvel 1-23 complete.

Spider-Woman 1-50 complete.

Dazzler 1-42 complete.

Working on:

Wonder Woman 160-329.

Marvel super-heroes 12-105.

Collectors item classics 1-22.

Marvel team-up 1-150.

Marvel two-in-one 1-100.

Silver Surfer 1-18.

Sub Mariner 1-72.

Warlock 1-15.

She-Hulk 1-25.

Moon Knight 1-38.

Edited by Juventus FC

On 2/1/2018 at 3:09 PM, fishbone said:

and how did you complete it, how long did it take, how hard was it to do, how satisfying was/is it ?

Marvel Team up and two in one, my favorite series as a kid, currently have 207 issues of daredevil vol one to get, 1-4, some 20s and a 50-60 then done. Have a cgc set of miller run part one which taken me two years to get at nothing below 9.4

I sorta lucked into my main run of 1-544 for Uncanny X-Men, with buying someone's run of 2-150 + GSX1 to complement my sporadic collection of 200 to 300. Picking up that run spurred me into wanting the complete series which I managed to do over 2-3 years, with me lucking into an inexpensive copy of #1 early on. Did the X-Men (1991 series) at the same time, mostly due to my love of Jim Lee's art which pulled me into serious comic buying.

So I wanted the challenge of picking up the variants (Canadian price, UK price, direct vs newsstand, etc) and got very deep into that as well, though I started getting stuck on a couple of the $0.30 and $0.35 variants. What's funny is the massive influx of cover variants late in the run (500 onward) started ticking me off and it spoiled my appetite for completing all the variants and having a perfectly complete set, and I stopped at that point. Off the top of my head I'd say I have ~75% of the variants. 

I really enjoyed the challenge of collecting the initial run, though not sure if I'd do it again. Actually debating selling off the run, as I change up my collecting goals now. We'll see. 

Just crappy stuff like all of X-Treme X-Men, Infinity Inc, and a couple of short failed ongoings of the JSA from the early 90's. They're the ones that spring to mind as the most authentic. 

It's certainly not as sexy as a lot of these, but once everything that's in-transit arrives, I'll have Black Hole (the Kitchen Sink/Fantagraphics series, not the Disney/Whitman one) complete (1-12), including all subsequent printings (there are 7 total), both the Spanish* (1-12) and German (1-6, double-sized) licensed republications, plus Echo Echo (which is essentially a comic-format "making of" art book for the series). It's not an extremely high-dollar series, but it is a good one. Historically important, won a sack of awards, and even in a few lit-crit courses these days. Someday it'll actually get its film / Amazon / Netflix / whatever adaptation also, I expect.

Not everything's slabbed. Eventually. I'm really trying to have the whole thing in 9.6+, but medium-print-run indie books printed with Patented Extra-Scuffable Covers (with black backgrounds, natch) make it slow going. Then all I'll be missing is the ashcan/preview that Burns privately published before Black Hole #1. Not likely to ever get that, sadly. There have only been a couple make it to the secondary market, and I missed the most recent sale by a couple of years. But it doesn't break the run, strictly speaking.

*I've also found one mention in an expired listing on a C-tier site that suggests there was a second printing of the Spanish #1. If that exists, I don't have it either, but I strongly suspect that was just an error.

Very mixed grade, but my most impressive complete run is Legion of Super-Heroes.  All the way from Adventure #247 to Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #2. 

I've been finishing off a fair number of EC runs recently.  Two-Fisted Tales, Frontline Combat, Panic, Weird Science-Fantasy, Incredible Science Fiction, the comic format issues of Mad, all the New Direction series, several of the Picture Stories From... titles.  Currently trying to find the last two issues of Shock Suspenstories I need.

Spidey Super Stories is another complete run I'm fond of, that's getting harder and harder to put together these days.

The original Marvel Star Wars run, I had to fill in some issues in the middle after the fact but the 1-60 is the earliest comic I ever seriously collected, I got most of those issues as they came out.  Then started collecting again with 104, which didn't last long but it meant I got the #107 new rather than searching for it.

On 11/16/2020 at 9:34 PM, Daredevil73 said:

Marvel Team up and two in one, my favorite series as a kid, currently have 207 issues of daredevil vol one to get, 1-4, some 20s and a 50-60 then done. Have a cgc set of miller run part one which taken me two years to get at nothing below 9.4

Glad you have Foggy’s first appearance though👍‼️🏆🏆🏆🎂

Pales in comparison to some of the gems in this thread but:
Hellblazer (Vertigo) 1-300
Sandman (Vertigo) 1-75
Hellboy (All of the original arcs)
TMNT (IDW) 1-Ongoing

...Marvel Illustrated/Marvel Swimsuit specials 1991-1995

Edited by zypher

The two that took the longest are GA Sub-Mariner (25+ years) and SA Tales To Astonish (20+ years).  The others worth mentioning are SA Silver Surfer and SA Sub-Mariner but those were easy by comparison.

And I will second the thought that patience may be a virtue, but when it comes to collecting it can be an agonizing one.

On 12/12/2019 at 11:14 PM, Tsp99 said:

Mainly esoteric GA runs for me.... Detective Picture Stories, Danger Trail, Negro Romance, Perfect Crime, CDNP 22-70, All Select, Atomic War, Dark Mysteries, Miss Fury, Fight 1-48, Rangers 1-35

I love the way you throw All-Select in there, like it's just another run like the others ............. HUUUUUGE !!!

On 2/2/2018 at 8:09 AM, fishbone said:

and how did you complete it, how long did it take, how hard was it to do, how satisfying was/is it ?

Collecting isn’t the same, you could get a weekly, a twice monthly now you got stuff like Doomsday Clock a 12 part series that took 2 years. 

that wasn’t very satisfying. 

Anyways…

A few years ago I sold off most of my collection, but for some reason I held onto most of my DD. So when I started collecting again last year, I decided to focus on completing a 1-300 run of DD. Currently, I’m only missing 1, 26, 31, and 90, but should have all four by the end of summer. 

Complete: TMNT 1-10. (1 is a low-grade third print that I bought off the rack, then thoroughly abused in the ensuing three+ decades.) 

Almost complete: Strange Adventures 205-215. What motivated this run: I picked up 205 (first appearance of Deadman) at an antique shop in New Mexico about 35 years ago for a buck. Held onto it, then three years ago had it slabbed by CGC. It was a low grade — 3.5 — and I ended up selling it, with aims to upgrade. Kicking myself for letting it go.