• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern DC mini-series by Neal Adams: demented, screwball funhouses...

20 posts in this topic

...and just I can't get enough of them!

Yeah, yeah...I know: just about everyone hates these:

BATMAN ODYSSEY (2012)

SUPERMAN: THE COMING OF THE SUPERMEN (2016)

and, currently still in progress...

DEADMAN

But I think they're a hoot...by turns imaginative, incomprehensible, inspired, and incoherent.  Grant Morrison only wishes he could be this authentically weird!!!

And despite some odd facial contortions--which to me are just part of the fun!--these books are also masterfully laid-out and drawn, albeit in Adams' rougher, post-modern style.  This is clearly not to everyone's taste, and yet the man's work as he approaches 80 years of age has lost none of its power or verve.  Amazing!

Anyway, I'm not plugged into the whole modern scene at all, so what I'd like to know is...have I missed anything?  That is, has Adams done any other mainstream superhero work like this (during the past 10 years I mean)--single issues or mini-series--where he both writes and draws?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, jools&jim said:

BATMAN ODYSSEY (2012)

DEADMAN

But I think they're a hoot...by turns imaginative, incomprehensible, inspired, and incoherent.  Grant Morrison only wishes he could be this authentically weird!!!

And despite some odd facial contortions--which to me are just part of the fun!--these books are also masterfully laid-out and drawn, albeit in Adams' rougher, post-modern style.  This is clearly not to everyone's taste, and yet the man's work as he approaches 80 years of age has lost none of its power or verve.  Amazing!

Anyway, I'm not plugged into the whole modern scene at all, so what I'd like to know is...have I missed anything?  That is, has Adams done any other mainstream superhero work like this (during the past 10 years I mean)--single issues or mini-series--where he both writes and draws?

Thanks!

Dude I can’t fight my way through Dark Knight Returns 3 Master Race or whatever the hell it’s called. Somebody said Doomsday Clock was good so picked up first two issues never made it to issue two. I ask the comic book guys at the LCS about every 4 years “what’s good” and pick it up and I’m always sorry I did  

I’m just gonna stop at this point. Throw in the towel. Why was I asking about Miller’s new Superman book, you ask.  Habit. But no. It’ll suck. I’ll keep my 9.95$ And get a latte and croissant 

Edited by NoMan

10 hours ago, jools&jim said:

BATMAN ODYSSEY (2012)

DEADMAN

Thanks!

I haven't read any of these newer mini-series.  Mainly because I haven't heard great things about the writing.  Right now I am trying to get through Batman Rebirth by Tom King and it is fair awful, IMO.  I wish I had your enthusiasm for these new comics.  I just don't.  They are poorly written, IMO.  If I remember correctly you are a DC fan, which I truly appreciate on this mainly Marvel collector board but honestly, bad is just bad.  These comics are just too expensive to promote wasting money and time on.  

10 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

He also recently did an issue of Kamandi Challenge.  Issue 2, I think.

Whoops...thanks, forgot about that one!  I have it...but I think Neal was actually working with a writer on that issue...

5 hours ago, nocutename said:

These comics are just too expensive to promote wasting money and time on.  

Not promoting anything.  Like I said--and as the reviews I linked demonstrate--this stuff clearly isn't everyone's cuppa, and I very much understand why:  Neal's (ahem...) dialogue and "plotting" are acquired tastes, at best.  And his art--while still unmistakably HIM--is not of the same stripe as the stuff he was producing during his heyday in the '70s.

And yet, I keep coming back for more, and remain amazed by the overall quality of Adams' design work, page layouts, and artwork in general.  Plus, the guy will turn 77 this year...that's got to make him one of the oldest living legends (if not THE oldest) still actively producing mainstream comics for major publishers, and I applaud DC in particular for keeping these doors open to his work, warts and all...

Edited by jools&jim

He's still doing some nice art and panel / page layouts, even if it can look inconsistent or sloppy at times.

Maybe there's an attempt to emulate the detailed line commonplace with younger artists, especially those influenced by the Image style, and it is different to the cleaner, less-detailed work of his peak, late-Silver to Bronze Age period.

13 hours ago, NoMan said:

Dude I can’t fight my way through Dark Knight Returns 3 Master Race or whatever the hell it’s called. Somebody said Doomsday Clock was good so picked up first two issues never made it to issue two. I ask the comic book guys at the LCS about every 4 years “what’s good” and pick it up and I’m always sorry I did  

I’m just gonna stop at this point. Throw in the towel. Why was I asking about Miller’s new Superman book, you ask.  Habit. But no. It’ll suck. I’ll keep my 9.95$ And get a latte and croissant 

Just read Tom King's Batman, Mister Miracle and Donny Cates Thanos. Nothting else needed.

On 2/1/2018 at 8:24 PM, jools&jim said:

BATMAN ODYSSEY (2012)

DEADMAN

Thanks!

...and it just keep getting weirder -- behold the bizarro glory that is the Spectre in (as?) Deadman's nostrils!

This fourth issue was somewhat less baffling than the first three...but what's really emerging for me from all of these mini-series is a sense that Neal is attempting to create a "Grand Unified Theory" of all things "Neal Adams at DC" -- a kind of mini-shared-pocket "Adams-verse" in which the stories and destinies of DC characters & concepts he created/helped to create, or is strongly associated with (e.g., Deadman, Spectre, Ra's Al Ghul, Talia, The League of Assassins, Phantom Stranger, Superman, and Batman of course*), are all linked and intertwined in extremely weird and complex ways. 

I think it's also telling that he's chosen to mix in characters and concepts from Kirby's stint at DC in the '70s (Apokolips, Darkseid, and The Demon).  It's almost as if he's saying that he and Kirby were the only ones producing truly A-list, legacy-level material for DC back then...which is kinda hard to argue with.

Like I said...it's all very nutty, and certainly not to everyone's taste.  But the idea of a '70s DC "Adamsverse" is intriguing.  Now if only a better writer/plotter could get a handle on it, and really put some there there...y'know?

* notable exceptions so far: Green Lantern & Green Arrow.

deadman-4.jpg

Edited by jools&jim

Has Neal Adams had a critical hit in comics since the 1970s? Why is his new work surprising?

Same can be said for Steranko.

Most comic book artist hit their peaks when they are under 50 years old.

Go back and look it up

Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, George Perez and John Byrne did their best work when they were young

or maybe to throw a monkey's wrench in it their best work was when we were young? hm

A lot of stuff we read when we were 10-20 years old doesn't seem that ground breaking when we are 40-60 year's old. :whatthe:

So let's cut the 77 year old Neal Adams some slack.

and always appreciate this

Related image

Related image

Related image

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

So let's cut the 77 year old Neal Adams some slack...

(thumbsu

...these books are also masterfully laid-out and drawn, albeit in Adams' rougher, post-modern style.  This is clearly not to everyone's taste, and yet the man's work as he approaches 80 years of age has lost none of its power or verve.  Amazing!

And yet, I...remain amazed by the overall quality of Adams' design work, page layouts, and artwork in general.  Plus, the guy will turn 77 this year...that's got to make him one of the oldest living legends (if not THE oldest) still actively producing mainstream comics for major publishers, and I applaud DC in particular for keeping these doors open to his work, warts and all...

Edited by jools&jim

3 hours ago, TeddieMercede said:

I just wish he’d draw a modern cover without everyone having the same screaming mouthface.

That's interesting. You can also see that in the older covers.

Never realised before that Rob Liefeld was Adams-influenced.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎02 at 9:48 AM, jools&jim said:

And yet, I keep coming back for more, and remain amazed by the overall quality of Adams' design work, page layouts, and artwork in general.  Plus, the guy will turn 77 this year...that's got to make him one of the oldest living legends (if not THE oldest) still actively producing mainstream comics for major publishers, and I applaud DC in particular for keeping these doors open to his work, warts and all...

Totally agree. As a lifelong Adams fan I purchase everything he does. Over the past few years he's done SO many covers, it's been hard to keep track! Except for the already mentioned titles, he's actually hasn't done much writing or interior artwork.  The Villain (writing) and Harleys Little Black Book / SpongeBob (artwork) comes to mind for very recent stuff.  He seems to spend most of his time touring and doing commission work.   This guy has got unbelievable energy and passion for his work.  

Also, have you seen this book below? To quote the publisher ...

"Comic Book Creator spotlights Neal Adams' Batman: Odyssey (the recent 13-issue DC Comics mini-series written and drawn by the comics legend), in a unique, comprehensive examination of an artist and his work. We grapple with the question: is the book a masterwork for the ages or an epic fail of mythic proportions? CBC goes in deep with the creator to examine his intent with Adams vigorously responding to critics, as we balance the successes and weaknesses of the quintessential Batman artist's ultimate take on a beloved character - all behind a new Neal Adams cover"

Haven't ordered it yet so can't comment on it's content,  but sure looks like fun reading for fans!

JUL131439.jpg

Edited by SuperZar

21 hours ago, TeddieMercede said:

I just wish he’d draw a modern cover without everyone having the same screaming mouthface.

......and the repetitious "jazz hands!"

On 3/3/2018 at 10:57 AM, jools&jim said:

think it's also telling that he's chosen to mix in characters and concepts from Kirby's stint at DC in the '70s (Apokolips, Darkseid, and The Demon).  It's almost as if he's saying that he and Kirby were the only ones producing truly A-list, legacy-level material for DC back then...which is kinda hard to argue with.

He has a point. Just about all the DC stories from the 1970s  that would translate the best into modern movies today would be from Neal Adams and Jack Kirby.

I would add Wrightson with his Swamp Thing would complete the trilogy for best DC 1970s creators.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 3/3/2018 at 4:42 PM, Ken Aldred said:

That's interesting. You can also see that in the older covers.

Never realised before that Rob Liefeld was Adams-influenced.

...probably because Adams was great and Liefeld always sucked. 

Edited by Chip Cataldo

On 3/3/2018 at 12:47 PM, TeddieMercede said:

OMG that is something I have never noticed until now and I will never be able to get out of my head!

:roflmao:

I definitely enjoy his 70's & 80's classic covers but his stuff now is not all that great, in my opinion. I do have to give him credit though for still writing & drawing in his age. I see him at cons and his booth is lined with all sorts of prints and variants. Unfortunately, his price keeps on going up and up for his signature and sketches.