• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Get Well Stan!
2 2

44 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Agreed.

635483610675870274-Life-expectancy-01.jpg

He was discharged from the hospital yesterday, I think, so I think he has a few hours left, at least. He certainly does make the chart and CDC look stoopid.....

I think he said he was going to go on doing what he usually does, causing trouble, or something like that.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

He was discharged from the hospital yesterday, I think, so I think he has a few hours left, at least. He certainly does make the chart and CDC look stoopid.....

I think he said he was going to go on doing what he usually does, causing trouble, or something like that.

I am hoping for the best for him. His wife just died last July. That's something traumatic he is going thru.  To make it to 95 and still be active in itself is a superpower.

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Jim Shooter. I expect Jim Shooter's career to have a resurrection once they start making Hollywood movies about his Valiant characters he created.

latest?cb=20161019191113

As long as the upcoming Valiant movies are GOOD Jim Shooter will have a nice resurrection but NO ONE is going to touch Stan the Man as far as a career and comic influence.

21 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

As long as the upcoming Valiant movies are GOOD Jim Shooter will have a nice resurrection but NO ONE is going to touch Stan the Man as far as a career and comic influence.

I would argue that validity of this statement. He is important and did some excellent work. But to say he had the same influence as a kid fetching coffee in the early days is silly. His most influential period lasted about 20 years-- from 1961 to 1981 or so. Sure-- he has still be around and making cameos in movies etc. But there are many of others who have been creating significant work during longer courses. And I say that with the thought that much of the 1970s was simply Stan self-promoting himself and Marvel Comics. Long career around comics-- sure-- he has been around. Making an impact the entire time? debatable at best imo.

37 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Agreed. but after Stan is gone they will need a new ambassador of comics.Who is more qualified than Jim Shooter to carry the torch? Not only for his Valiant work,but him being tutored under Stan gives him street cred. Also Jim Shooter was heavily involved with the creations of both Transformers and GI Joe comics during the early 1980s.

The amazing thing about Shooter was he starting writing for comic books at the age of 13. Truly amazing.

I could see his Harbinger, and X-O Manowar characters becoming big with the Hollywood crowd which would resurrect him  to going around to different conventions.

3 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I would argue that validity of this statement. He is important and did some excellent work. But to say he had the same influence as a kid fetching coffee in the early days is silly. His most influential period lasted about 20 years-- from 1961 to 1981 or so. Sure-- he has still be around and making cameos in movies etc. But there are many of others who have been creating significant work during longer courses. And I say that with the thought that much of the 1970s was simply Stan self-promoting himself and Marvel Comics. Long career around comics-- sure-- he has been around. Making an impact the entire time? debatable at best imo.

We'll it was Stan who created Spider-man, Fantastic Four and a whole bunch of other innovative comic characters that have become movies (some good, some not).  I would say, he made Marvel big in the 60's, 70's and maybe the early 80's.

4 hours ago, musicmeta said:

I'd suggest that the one other creator with Stan's time in and massive contribution to the industry would be Kirby.  God, they were magic together.

5 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I disagree. Stan wrote comics in the 40's,  westerns, romance & the atomic monsters in the 50s   to the Marvel age.

I believe that without the Marvel Age comics wouldn't be around today. The drek Dc was putting out after Ec comics was shut down would have never sustained the industry!

Lee, Kirby, Ditkos' importance to me is huge! 

32 minutes ago, comics4all said:

I disagree. Stan wrote comics in the 40's,  westerns, romance & the atomic monsters in the 50s   to the Marvel age.

I believe that without the Marvel Age comics wouldn't be around today. The drek Dc was putting out after Ec comics was shut down would have never sustained the industry!

I agree that his main important additions to the industry were the silver age characters. He might have written alot and kept the lights on at Timely/Atlas/Marvel in the 1950s but I was referring to creation of stuff that advanced the hobby-- which I feel is limited to that two decade period. I am not a student of his western/romance type stuff -- I would add any work he did with pre-hero marvels was also great. But at a certain point, he was more figurehead than creative force. The early work he did in comics was mostly support role based on what I have read and the reason he took over was everyone pretty much left and he had connections to get the job and keep things going.

And for the same reasons, I would like to put Neal Adams in the  position Stan has held as an ambassador BUT I can't think of much he did creatively other than incredible art and his reputation as being off-putting to fans or plain odd about the signature value thing makes him an unlikely candidate.

Shooter has some serious consideration but McFarlane seems the most likely guy-- though he is not quite ancient enough to compare to someone like Lee.

PS-- one thing that has always bothered me is that Stan never took the time to learn to draw-- even at a rudimentary level. I can't imagine being around the industry that long and not thinking in terms of story boarding at some point. A minor point to be sure but something that always puzzled me.

44 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I agree that his main important additions to the industry were the silver age characters. He might have written alot and kept the lights on at Timely/Atlas/Marvel in the 1950s but I was referring to creation of stuff that advanced the hobby-- which I feel is limited to that two decade period. I am not a student of his western/romance type stuff -- I would add any work he did with pre-hero marvels was also great. But at a certain point, he was more figurehead than creative force. The early work he did in comics was mostly support role based on what I have read and the reason he took over was everyone pretty much left and he had connections to get the job and keep things going.

And for the same reasons, I would like to put Neal Adams in the  position Stan has held as an ambassador BUT I can't think of much he did creatively other than incredible art and his reputation as being off-putting to fans or plain odd about the signature value thing makes him an unlikely candidate.

Shooter has some serious consideration but McFarlane seems the most likely guy-- though he is not quite ancient enough to compare to someone like Lee.

PS-- one thing that has always bothered me is that Stan never took the time to learn to draw-- even at a rudimentary level. I can't imagine being around the industry that long and not thinking in terms of story boarding at some point. A minor point to be sure but something that always puzzled me.

I agree. I think by the mid to late 70's Stan was mostly a figurehead.

Neal Adams had a huge influence! I just learned recently how he had helped Siegel & schuster with Superman! amazing artist!

22 hours ago, comics4all said:

Totally agree.   I don't think you can say person 'x' was THEE most important person of the comics genre.   Stan certainly has been the figurehead, like the Dad who gets to sit at the head of the table for Thanksgiving.  His contributions have been immense.  But without talents like  Kirby, Ditko, Steranko, Sinnott, Adams, Romita, Perez, Siegel, Shuster, Kane, Miller, Byrne (hell keep going, McFarlane, Lee etc.), where are we at?  

On 2/2/2018 at 12:17 AM, oakman29 said:

I'm praying I don't live to 65, let alone 95.

I might be willing to help you with this. I one day hope to own a private island where I will hunt men for sport. I call it "The Extremely Danger-filled Sporting Event!"