• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC will open an office in London in April
4 4

128 posts in this topic

And then this received just now :

Matthew Gens

5:29 PM (14 minutes ago)

Hello,

Thank you for your email. Initially, we will only accept items by appointment only. Once we have established our protocols and volumes we may accept inbound packages but we have yet to determine if this will be done. Thank you.

On 14. Mai 2018 at 5:01 PM, VintageComics said:

From what I know there is no VAT tax for comics coming into the UK, shipping will be much cheaper to ship to London, etc.

What sort of customs problems do you have?

Here and there a package got stuck in the customs.Then I had to drive there to get the book. 20 km forth and back. Thats why I seldom buy from US anymore. Plus shipping prices are so high now. Ten years ago a Parcel in which 10 comics or so could be stuck cost 18 $  or so to Germany with USPS, Thats no longer possible. 

On 5/16/2018 at 1:33 PM, GermanFan said:

Here and there a package got stuck in the customs.Then I had to drive there to get the book. 20 km forth and back. Thats why I seldom buy from US anymore. Plus shipping prices are so high now. Ten years ago a Parcel in which 10 comics or so could be stuck cost 18 $  or so to Germany with USPS, Thats no longer possible. 

I am British but live in Switzerland and agree postage to and from US is crippling these days - I sent a box of 15 graded (all 9.8) books to the US just for a re-holder (the old cases hurt my eyes in comparison to the new ones) - and in total cost me 412CHF (= $412) which included $15 per re-holder and postage there and back.

An office in Europe makes so much sense - many of the most popular artists these days are European and easily available at European cons so I am loving news of an office in Europe BUT agree with previous poster that an EU country would have been better e.g. France or Germany. UK makes little sense given BREXIT and will really only benefit people living in the UK... but many of us Brits live elsewhere in Europe

On 7/24/2018 at 12:55 AM, Swissboy13 said:

I am British but live in Switzerland and agree postage to and from US is crippling these days - I sent a box of 15 graded (all 9.8) books to the US just for a re-holder (the old cases hurt my eyes in comparison to the new ones) - and in total cost me 412CHF (= $412) which included $15 per re-holder and postage there and back.

An office in Europe makes so much sense - 

Not sure if the submittors from Europe will be able to avoid the crippling shipping charges to the U.S. since I believe the London office is just a receiving office and all of the books will then have to be shipped out to Florida for actual grading or whatever services you want.

So, this might be more of a double whammy from a shipping point of view because I am quite sure that they will simply shipped the books to Florida at your expense.  It will not be like dropping the books off at a con and then having CGC bring them back to the office for no charge.  :gossip:

33 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Aha!

That explains why I couldn't get in last Sunday :)

On 9/3/2018 at 4:47 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

On the way home we pop across to see how the new CGC offices are faring. No sign that they're there, alas:

20180902_134111.thumb.jpg.d1cf3d1b062d5c3b48b4cdf83fb5aeea.jpg

I spink we'll try again next time.