• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here we go again, potential for a nightmare ebay sale
3 3

56 posts in this topic

There's 16 minutes left in my auction for a Superboy 68 6.0 OW.  A potential buyer asks the following question:

"quick question is that a scratch on the case right below the 6.0 on the front upper left"

I respond with:

"It is a scratch. I never noticed it. I took these pictures after it had been out of the box for maybe 60 seconds so CGC must've done it. Its about half the size of a grain of rice. Its not something that will buff out. Its more of a shallow gouge than a scratch.

Best Regards,

JP"

He ends up winning the book and mere seconds after the auction closes I get the following:

"i won i got no problems but case isn't pristine any chance u will give me a reholder fee back?"

While I don't really have an issue with giving back the reholdering fee, I've sold quite a bit over the years on eBay and when transactions start like this they rarely end up without me getting the raw end of the deal.  I did state the "case is in pristine condition" because I literally got it back 2 weeks ago and I'm positive this happened at CGC but I still think its ridiculous to ask for a reholder fee.  Its likely just an attempt to get a few bucks back.  As a buyer would you expect a reholder fee refund?  What would you do as a seller?

Edited by comicquant

Normally I would decline the reimbursement, as he is changing the terms of the sale, but you shot yourself in the foot advertising the case as pristine. Also probably not the best idea to blow up his spot here publicly as it is clear from his messages that he is familiar with CGC and could get word of this thread.

Just now, Hudson said:

Although the scratch probably would not bother me, you did say the holder was "pristine".

I think giving him the reholder fee (which is less than 1% of the books price) is the right thing to do.  IMO.

I agree and have already sent the refund.

4 minutes ago, comicquant said:
18 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

That was a huge gift grade, so you're probably more than fine.

That was half as bad as I was expecting from you...  You're slipping! 

Old school VG - you're welcome. :banana: 

Image result for lizard lounging jpg

Edited by lizards2

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I am not trying to one a D-head, but why advertise pristine CGC case?  If the case were cracked I would mention that but I don't think it adds anything to the value of the book and only opens you up to this kind of stuff.

I'm pretty sure I either describe slabs as "pristine" or "brand new" with any book just back from CGC and in a perfect case (Obviously missed this one).  While I won't use "pristine" again, this is the first time its been an issue.  I will point out scratches and scuffs on slabs because unfortunately there are buyers that try to use them as a means for a partial refund.  

7 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I'm pretty sure I either describe slabs as "pristine" or "brand new" with any book just back from CGC and in a perfect case (Obviously missed this one).  While I won't use "pristine" again, this is the first time its been an issue.  I will point out scratches and scuffs on slabs because unfortunately there are buyers that try to use them as a means for a partial refund.  

Comic book collectors are an odd bunch.  Hope the transaction goes smoothly.

I think you handled it correctly... other than assuming it would be any kind of a nightmare.  He made a reasonable request especially based on the listing and the defect.

What this really points out is the need to inspect your slabs thoroughly as soon as you get them back from CGC.  I recently got a book back... and the inner well had a scratch on it.. when you turned it in a certain towards the light, it basically covered 1/2 of the front cover!  I sent back and they replaced.  I'm not sure what they'd have done for your divot... but if it was a defect they should correct it. Instead you're out $15 (or whatever the going rate is).

36 minutes ago, fmaz said:

I think you handled it correctly... 

I actually disagree with this based on actual costs to reholder  

Reholdering a slab carries an expense greater than just the $15 reholder fee. It would also include shipping BOTH ways, which probably runs another $15 each. 

So you’ve basically cost him an additional $30 instead of $45.  The right thing would be to send him another $35 ($50 total) to make it right.  He will sing your praises and you’ll have completed the request. 

Edited by Columbia Comics

2 minutes ago, Columbia Comics said:

I actually disagree with this. 

Reholdering a slab carries an expense greater than just the $15 reholder fee. It would also include shipping BOTH ways, which probably runs another $15 each. 

So you’ve basically cost him an additional $30 instead of $45.  The right thing would be to send him another $35 ($50 total) to make it right.  He will sing your praises and you’ll have completed the request. 

I see your point and it's changed my opinion... does that break the internet?  lol

If the buyer simply wants a discount, I would ask him what HE would think is fair and then give him that amount.  And then I'm sure he would be a very satisfied customer. 

But if he actually wants to get it reholdered? @Columbia Comics is correct, $15 won't do it.  You could offer to cancel the sale and get it reholdered yourself... since you could do so without paying the fees... but he has no reason to trust that you'd then sell to him at the agreed upon price.   So assuming you're making enough off the book already, giving him enough to actually get it reholdered (including shipping) will complete the transaction and you'll be providing excellent service.

You open yourself up to all kinds of buyers on ebay. You dealt with the problem in a way that satisfies both parties so that's a win for you. Bigger headache averted. 

If I think a buyer is being a "D"-head, I'll usually do something so their plan backfires on them. I'm never desperate to make a sale (not saying you are either) so refunding a jerk and blocking them from future auctions is fine with me.

Edited by B2D327

I'm not opposed to you offering the buyer $15 as a goodwill-type gesture.

Granted, that won't cover all of his costs to get the book reholdered, but let's be real, he isn't getting the book reholdered. He's trying to squeeze a few bucks out of you and I think that's pretty crumby. I don't like doing business with people like that... 

I'd never give the guy $50; I'd much rather cancel the sale and sell it to someone else (after disclosing in the new listing that there's a scuff on the case) - 95% of buyers won't care about some tiny scuff like that.

Collectors are a fickle bunch, but getting hung up on that is nuts.