• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealers!? How do you figure out what goes in the dollar box?
2 2

106 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, the blob said:

I will try. My lunch of Zingers and HoHos was not a good start.

I have no idea what those are, there is a trail-mix type snack called 'kars sweet and salty' that for whatever reason isn't available in Canada.  But they seem to be very common in the states.

PS Donate some image barcodes this way.  :)

23 minutes ago, spreads said:

I have no idea what those are, there is a trail-mix type snack called 'kars sweet and salty' that for whatever reason isn't available in Canada.  But they seem to be very common in the states.

PS Donate some image barcodes this way.  :)

Sad it must be in your world without cream filled snacks.

Ho Hos.jpg

Zingers.jpg

4 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

applesauce is a good substitute and is cheap an tastes good, just eat it out of the jar !!

Applesauce is not a good substitute for pretty much anything other then vegies.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo749 said:

It is a good substitute for oil in baking recipes. 

Baking . . ha!  My wife and I work two jobs each so baking is usually done for the Holidays and even then the bakery is just so convenient.

6 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Sad it must be in your world without cream filled snacks.

Ho Hos.jpg

Zingers.jpg

Sorry those look disgusting.... :p    No shortage of pastry-filled treats here; I don't buy the stuff anyway since the wife can't eat them.  Sweet and Salty is perfect, it's surprising you actually find a good GF snack at Walmart of all places!  I don't know why they don't ship to Canada, I know they would sell well.  I guess they're really sticking to the 'America's Treat' quite literally.

Anything under $9.00, unless it's a hot book. The reason is simple, leave some gems in the dollar boxes and people will dig through for a half hour and add 15 impulse buys, and a few decent books. It makes everyone happier.

16 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

Anything under $9.00, unless it's a hot book. The reason is simple, leave some gems in the dollar boxes and people will dig through for a half hour and add 15 impulse buys, and a few decent books. It makes everyone happier.

Whenever I find a book that should be in a higher-priced box, a spell is automatically cast over me and I am compelled to search thru every long box.

2 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

That's the point

I find that not to be the case most of the time at the Cons I've set up at especially since the buyer doesn't need to worry about combined shipping.  The guy who is knowledgeable enough to find the $10 easy flip book in the $1 boxes will spend an hour flipping thru 30 long boxes and may find 2 or 3 $5 to $10 easy flip books and buy the 4 books for $4 and walk on to the next booth.  Impulse buying doesn't really happen for flippers since they know what books sell and what doesn't and they don't stretch outside the box very often.  Guys flipping thru the 2x$1 boxes seem to buy on impulse but the $1 box buyers all seem to be looking for the quick flip books.  I do think your $1 boxes should be quality books that are worth $1 - $3 bucks and not filled with complete drek so collectors will stop to grab a few books they need but if I see a $10 in my $1 boxes its pulled and put up on E-Bay where it usually sells within a short bit. 

Edited by 1Cool

2 hours ago, Hekla said:

Whenever I find a book that should be in a higher-priced box, a spell is automatically cast over me and I am compelled to search thru every long box.

This is so true.  I was at Baltimore last year and found a complete set of nice high grade Watchmen 1 - 12 in a $1 box of a center booth that was still setting up.  I spent a half hour searching thru all 20 long boxes they had and found absolutely nothing else that was even worth adding to the purchase.  Pulled out $12 and bought my books.  I didn't add anything just because I wanted to pad my purchase.  And based on the several Cons I've set up at it seems to be a common practice (at least people that stopped at my booth). 

44 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I find that not to be the case most of the time at the Cons I've set up at especially since the buyer doesn't need to worry about combined shipping.  The guy who is knowledgeable enough to find the $10 easy flip book in the $1 boxes will spend an hour flipping thru 30 long boxes and may find 2 or 3 $5 to $10 easy flip books and buy the 4 books for $4 and walk on to the next booth.  Impulse buying doesn't really happen for flippers since they know what books sell and what doesn't and they don't stretch outside the box very often.  Guys flipping thru the 2x$1 boxes seem to buy on impulse but the $1 box buyers all seem to be looking for the quick flip books.  I do think your $1 boxes should be quality books that are worth $1 - $3 bucks and not filled with complete drek so collectors will stop to grab a few books they need but if I see a $10 in my $1 boxes its pulled and put up on E-Bay where it usually sells within a short bit. 

I see this too. A guy will go through 20 boxes of cheap stuff at a show and pull 3 books.  I can't do that, it isn't in my DNA, but it seems like most can. I guess you could do 10 for $10, $10 minimum, but that might scare some folks off too.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I see this too. A guy will go through 20 boxes of cheap stuff at a show and pull 3 books.  I can't do that, it isn't in my DNA, but it seems like most can. I guess you could do 10 for $10, $10 minimum, but that might scare some folks off too.

For me, if it's only dollar books in dollar bins, I may pull or I may not.  If there are better books in the mix, I'll happily reward the seller by buying whatever better books I need for my collection, plus any dollar stuff I've been putting off.  I'm in the minority on this one, though... the last time I said I wished everyone acted like that, someone questioned my intelligence, and said they'll buy whatever they want.   Not very neighborly around here... (shrug)

29 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

For me, if it's only dollar books in dollar bins, I may pull or I may not.  If there are better books in the mix, I'll happily reward the seller by buying whatever better books I need for my collection, plus any dollar stuff I've been putting off.  I'm in the minority on this one, though... the last time I said I wished everyone acted like that, someone questioned my intelligence, and said they'll buy whatever they want.   Not very neighborly around here... (shrug)

I don't understand your post. But I only got 2 hours of sleep last night, so I mgith just be groggy. So the net of the net is that you buy stuff you are interested in?

I was describing someone who goes through 20 long boxes of dollar books and pulls 3 books.  More power to them, but I would wind up pulling more most likely. My standards would get lowered. Sometime I am at a show and I see one of these guys stopped at the box mulling over a single $1 issue like it is a life decision for 5 minutes and I will just tell him it is a great deal, he should buy the book (and it usually is something like that). People need encouragement!

55 minutes ago, the blob said:

I don't understand your post. But I only got 2 hours of sleep last night, so I mgith just be groggy. So the net of the net is that you buy stuff you are interested in?

I was describing someone who goes through 20 long boxes of dollar books and pulls 3 books.  More power to them, but I would wind up pulling more most likely. My standards would get lowered. Sometime I am at a show and I see one of these guys stopped at the box mulling over a single $1 issue like it is a life decision for 5 minutes and I will just tell him it is a great deal, he should buy the book (and it usually is something like that). People need encouragement!

I'll translate - most of the time he buys books from people who give some good to great deals in their $1 boxes.  Sounds like people did not like it when he said this in the past.

52 minutes ago, the blob said:

Sometime I am at a show and I see one of these guys stopped at the box mulling over a single $1 issue like it is a life decision for 5 minutes and I will just tell him it is a great deal, he should buy the book (and it usually is something like that). People need encouragement!

I don't understand how people won't think twice about spending a few bucks for a cup of coffee, yet waver in a decision to buy a comic for a dollar. I'd rather forgo the coffee and spend it on comics.