• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealers!? How do you figure out what goes in the dollar box?
2 2

106 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2018 at 9:41 AM, spreads said:

I've managed to get brand new bags/boards at 11 cents CAD (per book) through serious research to find the best prices with shipping, and developing a local contact to get boards at wholesale prices.  

I think the assumption of buyers requesting bags/boards is for new bags/boards because the majority of guys that buy collections have old bags/boards already.  Regardless of whether it's bagging/boarding books new or replacing the bags/boards (which actually takes more time) the outcome is the same - it is simply not worth the time/effort.  I think $2 book is a good metric to use for putting in new bags/boards; assuming these are $2 books that will sell....and here's the caveat, bagging/boarding these books should be the last item on your to do list.  It's not efficient to waste time bagging/boarding books if you have a shortbox of $10-100 keys you want to list on ebay....

11 cents is quite cheap. Hotflips sells 1000 bags/boards (silver age, modern is slightly less) for $119.00 (so almost 12 cents, in bulk). There 8%+ sales tax on that as well I assume? They do a discount if you pick-up.  100 at a time is $14. Maybe for dollar books you can use crappier boards than they sell though.

BCW is $100.60 for a 1000 set. I have occasionally got a package of BCW boards that do not fit their bags though (or the other way around). That is really annoying.

I prefer silver just because I hate bouncing back and forth between boards/bags and moderns are often too tight for many books.

Edited by the blob

51 minutes ago, the blob said:

11 cents is quite cheap. Hotflips sells 1000 bags/boards (silver age, modern is slightly less) for $119.00 (so almost 12 cents, in bulk). There 8%+ sales tax on that as well I assume? They do a discount if you pick-up.  100 at a time is $14. Maybe for dollar books you can use crappier boards than they sell though.

BCW is $100.60 for a 1000 set. I have occasionally got a package of BCW boards that do not fit their bags though (or the other way around). That is really annoying.

I prefer silver just because I hate bouncing back and forth between boards/bags and moderns are often too tight for many books.

Several guys at the Con this weekend were selling 100 bags/boards sets for $10.  Think they had modern and silver-Age in that deal.  The problem is if you paid $0.10 each for the books and $0.10 for the bags and boards and lets say the booth fees are an extra $0.10 per book you have to sell a ton quickly to make it worth while to spend all that time bagging and boarding and selling the books at $1 each.

20 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Several guys at the Con this weekend were selling 100 bags/boards sets for $10.  Think they had modern and silver-Age in that deal.  The problem is if you paid $0.10 each for the books and $0.10 for the bags and boards and lets say the booth fees are an extra $0.10 per book you have to sell a ton quickly to make it worth while to spend all that time bagging and boarding and selling the books at $1 each.

I agree, I could not bring myself to do it. Maybe if I had a ton of used bags and boards. For new ones it would be $2 and then discounts, like 6 for $10, etc. 

4 hours ago, the blob said:

My deal is only as good as it is because I'm getting wholesale rates directly from a local store; I'm in Canada so buying boards anywhere is more expensive than what you guys are paying, I know of a few people that have them shipped to the NY border and drive down.  I can find the exact brands, I believe it's your standard ultra pro which suits me fine - I have a ton of mylar products for my own collection.  I also had a contact that was buying bags from clearbags (?) - he was buying in 17k quantities to get the largest bulk rate - those were really nice and overall sharper than other standard comic manufacturers.  

On 2/8/2018 at 8:16 AM, The Resurrection said:

Anything under $9.00, unless it's a hot book. The reason is simple, leave some gems in the dollar boxes and people will dig through for a half hour and add 15 impulse buys, and a few decent books. It makes everyone happier.

:golfclap:

On 3/17/2018 at 9:56 AM, spreads said:

And what if it takes so long to sell those books they'll need new bags/boards again!  lol

It sucks doing it.  I rebadged/boarded 6-7 longboxes 10+ years ago.  They still look good.  I think the quality of the “cheap” bags has improved over the years, so it takes a lot longer for the bags to get yellowed/gummy.