• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Last DC Newsstand Issues
2 2

128 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Lpgk said:

Too bad. If they got that far and made TT12, that issue would be huge. One of the last ones I bought was the Batman/ Catwoman proposal issue, and even then my store only got in 4 issues. I think over time, people will realize how rare the last several years of DC NS are. 

On a side note, it looks like they stopped it right before the Metals Tie Ins. Were there any other key issues near the end?

I never saw a Metal issue on the newsstand.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

19 hours ago, Davidone said:

I was doing the same thing. The newsstands ended at TT11. There is no 12 unfortunately. Our newsstand honey holes have all dried up ?

I've never seen the TT 11 newsstand.   Could you please post a photo of it or confirm that the cover price is $4.99 and the cover date is Oct 2017?    

update:  Last newsstand issues (price and cover date also shown below;  I have seen all of these except the Teen Titans 11): 

Action 985   $3.99  Oct 2017

Aquaman 27    $4.99  Oct 2017   

Batgirl 13   $4.99   Sept 2017

Batman 29   $3.99  Oct 2017

Detective 962   $3.99 Oct 2017

Flash 28   $3.99  Oct 2017

Green Arrow 29   $3.99  last half Oct 2017

Green Lanterns 29   $3.99 Oct 2017

Hal Jordan Green Lantern Corps 26   $4.99  Oct 2017

Harley Quinn 26  $3.99  Oct 2017

Justice League 27   $3.99   Oct 2017

Justice League of America 12  $3.99  Oct 2017

Nightwing 27   $3.99  Oct 2017

Scooby Doo Team Up 28  $2.99   Sept 2017

Scooby Doo Where Are You 84  $2.99  Oct 2017

Suicide Squad 23  $3.99  Oct 2017

Super Sons 7  $4.99     Oct 2017

Superman 29  $3.99   Oct 2017

Teen Titans 11  $4.99   ? 2017   

Teen Titans Go! 23  $2.99   Oct 2017

Trinity 12  $4.99  Oct 2017

Wonder Woman 28  $3.99 Oct 2017

I noticed that that Batgirl is the only super hero title that I cannot find a newsstand issue from Oct 2017.

I would like to give credit and thanks to John Jackson Miller of Comichron.  He was able to find the last known order of newsstand issues, which provided a basis for me to confirm the issue number and dates of the newsstand issues listed above.   John has posted an in-depth article about "End of an Era: The Last DC Newsstand Issues" on his website, which is very interesting and informative.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

Yes, my article is here -- http://blog.comichron.com/2018/02/end-of-era-last-dc-newsstand-issues.html -- and it was a note from Cpt Kirk earlier in the week that inspired me to call DC. If I'd seen this thread I could have saved some searching online!

Note that while Ski gave me a end date for newsstand titles -- August 29 in comic shops specifically -- it is not ironclad that some of these last issues exist, so continued checking should be the order of the day. I will start checking this thread to see what's found.

18 minutes ago, John Jackson Miller said:

Yes, my article is here -- http://blog.comichron.com/2018/02/end-of-era-last-dc-newsstand-issues.html -- and it was a note from Cpt Kirk earlier in the week that inspired me to call DC. If I'd seen this thread I could have saved some searching online!

Note that while Ski gave me a end date for newsstand titles -- August 29 in comic shops specifically -- it is not ironclad that some of these last issues exist, so continued checking should be the order of the day. I will start checking this thread to see what's found.

Cool article. You might want to change your eBay search to not use "edition" in the search. Over 10x the amount of results show up.

The Captain suggested to me that the 8/16 Direct Market issues might have been the true cutoff and that the 8/23 shipping newsstand Harley Quinn #26 may have been a fluke, since none of the other books of that week have been found. I checked the Diamond shipping lists, and voila, Harley Quinn was supposed to be an 8/16 book in the DM and shipped a week late. Strong case forming here...

SHIPPING UPDATES ' 07/31/2017 

VENDOR/TITLE	ITEM CODE	OLD DATE	NEW DATE
Harley Quinn #26 Std./Var.	JUN170287 / JUN170288	08/16/17	08/23/17

1 hour ago, John Jackson Miller said:

The Captain suggested to me that the 8/16 Direct Market issues might have been the true cutoff and that the 8/23 shipping newsstand Harley Quinn #26 may have been a fluke, since none of the other books of that week have been found. I checked the Diamond shipping lists, and voila, Harley Quinn was supposed to be an 8/16 book in the DM and shipped a week late. Strong case forming here...

SHIPPING UPDATES ' 07/31/2017 

VENDOR/TITLE	ITEM CODE	OLD DATE	NEW DATE
Harley Quinn #26 Std./Var.	JUN170287 / JUN170288	08/16/17	08/23/17

Nicely detective work, John!  

23 hours ago, Lpgk said:

Too bad. If they got that far and made TT12, that issue would be huge. One of the last ones I bought was the Batman/ Catwoman proposal issue, and even then my store only got in 4 issues. I think over time, people will realize how rare the last several years of DC NS are. 

On a side note, it looks like they stopped it right before the Metals Tie Ins. Were there any other key issues near the end?

The Flash had a new villian (forgot his name) and the first "Negative Flash." They don't seem to be doing much in the market but that was all in the last 3 newsstand editions of The Flash.

Update:  Last newsstand issues (price and cover date also shown below;  I have seen all of these except the Teen Titans 11): 

Green Arrow 29   $3.99  last half Oct 2017

Teen Titans 11  $4.99   ? 2017   (last one verified is #10 $4.99 w/Sept 2017 cover date;  Davidone thought there might be a #11 but not sure now)

Teen Titans Go! 23  $2.99   Oct 2017

Trinity 12  $4.99  Oct 2017

Wonder Woman 28  $3.99 Oct 2017

I noticed that that Batgirl and Teen Titans are the only super hero titles that I cannot find a newsstand issue from Oct 2017.   Also, following is an in-depth article by John Jackson Miller regarding the end of DC newsstand production:

http://blog.comichron.com/2018/02/end-of-era-last-dc-newsstand-issues.html

p.s.  Props to Revat, whose listing of DC Universe variants inspired this list of the last DC newsstand issues.  If you have more interest in DC newsstand variants, check out this thread:

Edited by Cpt Kirk

13 minutes ago, Davidone said:

Yes, I believe I saw TT 11 but I don't have proof. 

Here is a new article by Comichron about DC newstands ending. They list TT 11 as the last issue, but do not have a photo. It's a good read anyway for those interested. Enjoy.

http://blog.comichron.com/2018/02/end-of-era-last-dc-newsstand-issues.html?m=1

Lol... He listed TT 11 because he got the info from me, and I got it from you!

39 minutes ago, John Jackson Miller said:

I got a nice batch of photos from a reader of a Books-A-Million newsstand with returnable copies, taken in early September (it would seem). Everything squares up with the list as we have it; nothing later than an August 16 title.

The August 16 theory plus Harley Quinn #26 is getting stronger all the time.

Great.   I only researched Barnes and Nobles, so it is nice to get triangulation from BAM.

11 hours ago, Davidone said:

Yes, I believe I saw TT 11 but I don't have proof. 

Here is a new article by Comichron about DC newstands ending. They list TT 11 as the last issue, but do not have a photo. It's a good read anyway for those interested. Enjoy.

http://blog.comichron.com/2018/02/end-of-era-last-dc-newsstand-issues.html?m=1

11 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Lol... He listed TT 11 because he got the info from me, and I got it from you!

Give him the kick!

giphy.gif

By the way... thank you DC.   I was spending about $40 per month on these newsstand issues at Barnes & Noble, plus the cost of Barnes & Noble membership, plus the time of stopping by there weekly to make sure I didn't miss an issue.   

I wonder if collectors will lose interest in these newsstand issues, now that they are a thing of the past.   Only time will tell.

3 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

By the way... thank you DC.   I was spending about $40 per month on these newsstand issues at Barnes & Noble, plus the cost of Barnes & Noble membership, plus the time of stopping by there weekly to make sure I didn't miss an issue.   

I wonder if collectors will lose interest in these newsstand issues, now that they are a thing of the past.   Only time will tell.

Ditto Here DC. It was becoming a B&N weekly ritual.  Every other week I would drive twice as far to get to the nearest BAM. If I was out of town I would check out the nearest B&N for what they might have (brought my own bags/boards of course.) Some locations stocked very little. One store I visited only had 2 copies of Nightwing so I bought them. My home store had everything but Nightwing.

Newsstand interest/awareness seems to be slowly growing. I'll be interested in them regardless but I would love to see more interest as a whole.

I collected Marvel/DC newsstand books  as an adolescent/teen in the 90's unknowingly by getting all my new books at the grocery store. I only realized years later why some of my books looked different than the others. ( I was ticked off when I thought someone had ripped off the hologram from my Sensational Spiderman #0 before I bought it)

Maybe it's a nostalgia thing for me.

47 minutes ago, Joosh said:

Ditto Here DC. It was becoming a B&N weekly ritual.  Every other week I would drive twice as far to get to the nearest BAM. If I was out of town I would check out the nearest B&N for what they might have (brought my own bags/boards of course.) Some locations stocked very little. One store I visited only had 2 copies of Nightwing so I bought them. My home store had everything but Nightwing.

Newsstand interest/awareness seems to be slowly growing. I'll be interested in them regardless but I would love to see more interest as a whole.

I collected Marvel/DC newsstand books  as an adolescent/teen in the 90's unknowingly by getting all my new books at the grocery store. I only realized years later why some of my books looked different than the others. ( I was ticked off when I thought someone had ripped off the hologram from my Sensational Spiderman #0 before I bought it)

Maybe it's a nostalgia thing for me.

For me, it began as was more of an obsession to make sure I only had direct sales issues in my collection.  But during that search, I would see lots of Batman and Superman newsstand issues selling for dirt cheap.  Knowing that Mile High was selling those same newsstand issues for $20 or more, I thought I should just buy them because they were a bargain.   But then the completionist in me kicked in again, and I felt the need to have all the newsstand issues.  Plus it became an academic pursuit.... I wanted to prove that every single issue had a corresponding newsstand variant.   Except for one single newsstand issue (namely Superman New 52 #8, I have found them all in the titles of Batman, Detective, Superman and Action Comics).   

Update:  Last newsstand issues (price and cover date also shown below): 

Green Arrow 29   $3.99  Oct 2017

Teen Titans 10  $4.99   Sept 2017   (I don't think #11 could exist, but will list it if I see a scan or photo)

Teen Titans Go! 23  $2.99   Oct 2017

Trinity 12  $4.99  Oct 2017

Wonder Woman 28  $3.99 Oct 2017

I noticed that that Batgirl and Teen Titans are the only super hero titles that I cannot find a newsstand issue from Oct 2017.   Also, following is an in-depth article by John Jackson Miller regarding the end of DC newsstand production:

http://blog.comichron.com/2018/02/end-of-era-last-dc-newsstand-issues.html

On 2/10/2018 at 12:20 PM, John Jackson Miller said:

Just did, and indeed they do. Thanks. I'm too accustomed to trying to give eBay as much detail as possible to zero in!

Zeroing in is the worst thing you can do in a search if you're wanting to cast the widest net. I'd make the search as general as possible, and then filter through the results. Also, it's worth searching for mispelled words, etc. People list things in crazy ways, so inventive searches will often yield good results. Good luck!