• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers #4 vs. Fantastic Four #4 - which to pick?
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Both of these issues bring back a major Golden Age character into the Silver Age - the Sub-Mariner and Captain America. They also seem to be about the same price on eBay. Is one better than the other as far as investment goes? It seems to me that the movies are impacting the comics' value to a large degree. Captain America has been out for several years now, and Avengers #4 is only even with FF #4 in price. If Subby ever makes it to the screen, it *should* make that issue rocket past Avengers #4. I'm just thinking out loud here, but it seems to make sense.

With the Fantastic Four, The Marvel Universe got its mind.  With Spider-Man, the Marvel Universe got its heart.  With the reintroduction of Cap, the Marvel Universe got its soul.  FF 4 is a BETTER book in my opinion.  Maybe the best early FF story.  Not as common as Avengers 4.  Probably a better investment.

Having said all that, Avengers 4 will always be a more IMPORTANT book, at least in my eyes.

Toss up.    

Avengers 4 is significantly more common, and the FF have such a significant place in Marvel history. It's easy to picture all the early FF's making a run when the Fox acquisition is finalized by Disney on movie speculation. As pure collecting, FF 1 - 100 is about the peak of Marvel, IMO, the covers, the stories, the characters are all top notch.

14 hours ago, Primetime said:

FF 4 hands down. Earlier book. Better cover. It's always been a top 5 SA Marvel book for me. 

Agreed - and I never liked the way that Kirby did Cap's mouth on the Avengers 4 cover  lol

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Re introduction of Captain America? 

Not even close, Avengers 4 all the way.

The 2nd reintroduction of Cap and Subby. Atlas/Timely/Marvel tried to revive both Cap and Subby in the 50s. As far as character importance, chronologically, the Sub-Mariner was the first Marvel comic super-hero created, if we don't count Ka-Zar (also in Marvel Comics #1), who was introduced in a pulp years earlier than 1939.

One thing to consider is the rarity. Though neither Silver age book is rare by any means by comparison to any single Golden age Timely Cap or Subby issue, 1962 Marvels in any grade are more of a rarity than 1964 Marvels, by 1964 Marvel production enjoying a serious upswing in numbers from 1962 production amount. FF #4 is by far the more difficult acquisition and although still leaving much to be desired as far as printing quality control, by 1964, the tolerances of production a little more precise than in 1962.

Edited by James J Johnson

Captain America appeared in Tales of Suspense #58 and and Sub-Mariner Tales to Astonish #70.

Captain America owns his title starting at #100 after TOS #99 and Sub-Mariner got his own title after TTA #100.

Captain America goes on to his 8th series and many other titles. Sub-Mariner lasted only 72 issues on his 1st series then 62 more issues in 1990.

Captain America wins.....therefore Avengers #4 is safer investment and resellable.

Reading a British Marvel comic that reprinted Avengers 4 in black-and-white, specifically its classic reintroduction of one of my favourite characters, was the first time I ever got completely blown away by a comic book story.  Even 45 or so years on, that sense of amazement still lingers in memory.  FF 4 was another great read from that time, but has never, ever had that level of significance to me.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Reading a British Marvel comic that reprinted Avengers 4 in black-and-white, specifically its classic reintroduction of one of my favourite characters, was the first time I ever got completely blown away by a comic book story.  Even 45 or so years on, that sense of amazement still lingers in memory.  FF 4 was another great read from that time, but has never, ever had that level of significance to me.

Interesting, because for me, it's the other way around.

To me, every panel of Fantastic Four #4 feels historic. 

Both are great choices so pick them both up, but if you can only pick 1.....

If you're purchasing for:

Importance: Take Avengers 4

Investment: Take FF 4

AV4 has basically doubled in value in the last decade in most grades due to Caps prominence in the movies.

FF4 has ALSO basically doubled in value in the last decade without ANY help from movie appearances. This means FF4 still has an amazing amount of room to grow in value once a movie is confirmed and his character becomes more prominent.

I purchased 1 copy of AV4 in the last year.  I purchased 5 copies of FF4 in the last year.  That shows you where I stand on the OP's question.

Both comics are WIN/WIN but FF4 gets my vote.

Edited by gadzukes